• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Attn: Wellingtonians

HeathDavisSpeed

Plenty of Wellingtonians on the board. I'm looking to organise a backyard cricket test match somewhere in Wellington City on Sunday 15th March. Kind of a celebration of the world cup and the end of the summer. Got at least 11 roped in so far, not all of whom I know - but was hoping to get 20-ish in order to get a proper match going.

If anyone's keen - let me know. No abilities required.

Hurricane

Plenty of Wellingtonians on the board. I'm looking to organise a backyard cricket test match somewhere in Wellington City on Sunday 15th March. Kind of a celebration of the world cup and the end of the summer. Got at least 11 roped in so far, not all of whom I know - but was hoping to get 20-ish in order to get a proper match going.

If anyone's keen - let me know. No abilities required.
I am 80% sure I can make it.

PM me on cricsim details.

I am getting in the day before from a road trip and may be a bit tired (hence the 20% unsure)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Shame I'm not still in Wellington :( Good idea Heath!

If it goes ahead, make sure you bring some details back to the forum :)

Hurricane

I've always been crap at backyard cricket but quite reasonable at club cricket. Backyard cricket favours - well I don't really know what sort of technique - just not my technique anyway probably because the tennis ball doesn't come on the bat.

I am also scarred by an epic game I had when I was 18 - I had one wicket left and my last batsman scored 30 runs but then got out needing 2 to win. Never recovered from that really.:ph34r:

Zinzan

I need to get down to Wellington in the next month or two anyway, so that might actually work.

If I'm down with a couple of mates (very good ex-club cricketers), would the 3 of us be able to get in?

When do you need confirmation?

Zinzan

Incidentally Heath, depending on how seriously you want to take it, last time we had a school reunion game at our local park, rather than using wickets, we had kegs at both ends, with the rule being nobody leaves the ground until the kegs are empty.

Needless to say level of cricket, scoring & umpiring understandably suffered as the day went on...but great fun nonetheless...

HeathDavisSpeed

I need to get down to Wellington in the next month or two anyway, so that might actually work.

If I'm down with a couple of mates (very good ex-club cricketers), would the 3 of us be able to get in?

When do you need confirmation?
No need for confirmation - we'll be going ahead regardless of numbers. Its a very mixed crowd, so there'll be a few guys who've never played much before, but if you turn up - turn up with as many friends as you like - and that goes for anyone else who's keen to come along.

Not planning to take it seriously, but depending on the location we might be in the Wellington no-alcohol zone. Current plan is to play in Waitangi Park on the waterfront, but I suspect we'll end up playing in the park at the top of Majoribanks Street where we're much more likely to be able to have a few jars - which I'd also be quite keen on.

HeathDavisSpeed

This went really well. There were 10 of us (only one other CW member) but really easy to organise and sort out, and we have good weather for it too. Might do it again some other time.

HeathDavisSpeed

Scorecard and match report please.
Had a round of singles first before the 10 split into two teams.

Each team was led by a man from Chennai and then we split the other players by suburb, just as a means to split the teams without resorting to the age old school selection techniques.

16Tins' team batted first and were all out for 56. Highlights being two good catches at shortish cover (which also happened to be the boundary) from me, and a nice looking 6-and-out from 16Tins (I think it may have been first ball). I think the innings was completed in 3 backyard cricket overs (i.e. an over of indeterminate length, but definitely more than 6 balls)

The next innings struggled early on. I think we were about 10 for 3, with me and our guy from Chennai left at the crease. We slowly starting knocking the runs back single by single and clouting boundaries when possible. Eventually took the lead at which point I hit a six-and-out leaving the man from Chennai as Last Man Standing, having to bat on his own. At this point, Sanka threw a pine cone and there were nearly fisticuffs (NB. This last bit didn't happen). We were all out for 93.

A deficit of 37 after the first innings, after which one of our players had to leave so it was 5 vs. 4. 16Tins' team started well and reached about 20 without loss, but the wheels came out when 16Tins was run out backing up too far. They were all out for 62, leaving a target of 26 to win.

Two early wickets again left the guy from Chennai and I at the crease again. With about 10 runs left, I middled one to the midwicket fielder, who duly caught it, leaving our Chennai contingent to bring the game home. A one wicket win.

No disputes about throwing things arose.

Adders

Did you give 16Tins a warning before mankading him or just go for it full on **** style?

HeathDavisSpeed

Did you give 16Tins a warning before mankading him or just go for it full on **** style?
Nah, the batsman hit the ball back to me and as he'd backed up too far, he was well out of his ground. I was nearly mankadded though, so it was on the agenda.

16 tins of Spam

Nah, the batsman hit the ball back to me and as he'd backed up too far, he was well out of his ground. I was nearly mankadded though, so it was on the agenda.
I was ****ing disgusted with myself. Deadset the second most ******** dismissal of my life.

EDIT: Wtf? You can't say ********? No offence to the management, but the language filter is idiotic.

Last edited: