• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

SeamUp

I have to admit, in that instance I thought he should have been banned for life... even if he helped us win one of the most amazing games of cricket.
Totally different to the Aussie scenario but Gibbs was still not a senior player and made a rash call verbally but chose not to go through with it. In my opinion he did the right thing in the end. He got 9-12 months ?

Who else was involved ? Pieter Strydom, Henry Williams ?

Last edited:

Johnners

Painful to watch that. You'd think the guy had committed mass murder.

Incidentally, did anyone catch the question that was cut-off mid-way through, about Marriage at first sight or something? What was that all about?
Some dickhead from a radio show was telling him he could hold his head high as what he did wasn't as bad as some deadbeats on Married at First Sight (a woeful reality tv show that has recently been airing on Ch9).

SeamUp

*** FAF Presser ALERT ***

Du Plessis agrees, New Zealand are the one team "that plays the game in the right spirit."

Steve is one of the good guys, he made a mistake... I do have compassion for what he is going through.

I understand the context of the sanction but I do think it's harsh

I did send (Smith) a text. From a really deep place in my heart I feel for the guy. It's going to be incredibly hard for him over the next few days. He was really good. He appreciated the message. There is a lot of respect between the 2 of us

Last edited:

StephenZA

Totally different to the Aussie scenario but Gibbs was still a junior and made a rash call verbally but chose not to go through with it. In my opinion he did the right thing in the end. He got 9-12 months ?

Who else was involved ? Pieter Strydom, Henry Williams ?
I don't think we heard everything in the end and I've always thought more happened. I think there is more robust ICC/CSA law and procedures in place now for match fixing, which is why all those players got life and many year bans recently from the RAM slam.

Spark

Global Moderator
Some dickhead from a radio show was telling him he could hold his head high as what he did wasn't as bad as some deadbeats on Married at First Sight (a woeful reality tv show that has recently been airing on Ch9).
How the **** that mouthbreather paradise of a radio show is still on the air, years later, especially after what they did to that nurse, is beyond me.

Starfighter

Daemon

It truly amazes me that there are so many individuals and organisations that will walk away from this incident looking worse than the 3 players themselves.

harsh.ag

This feeling of loss is different from previous instances. Never have cricketers been sacrificed at the altar of public opinion in such a cruel manner.

Shri

Yeah, it's pretty uncomfortable but can't get the "why did you do it you dumb ****" feeling out of my head while watching this.
Don't think he knew, tbh. Looks more and more like he was just trying to protect his team mates. Thought he was a **** captain before but maybe his leadership has some redeeming qualities even though he sucks at some parts of it.

Skip 4:00 to 4:20, brutal.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think he knew, tbh. Looks more and more like he was just trying to protect his team mates. Thought he was a **** captain before but maybe his leadership has some redeeming qualities even though he sucks at some parts of it.

Skip 4:00 to 4:20, brutal.
I mean I don't think any of his captaincy critics thought that failing to protect his players was a remotely a problem for him. If anything he went too far in that direction and gave them too much leeway.

Shri

I mean I don't think any of his captaincy critics thought that failing to protect his players was a remotely a problem for him. If anything he went too far in that direction and gave them too much leeway.
When the story broke, I thought he was throwing Bancroft under the bus tbh. Now, I think different.

Spikey

it's unbelievable that the person who let them do that press conference (in SA after the day's play) hasn't been fired out of a canon yet.