• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best/Worst Accent?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yes, when they are speaking together, I can tell the difference though for the longest time I thought they were the same accent, except one was merely 'stronger'. Having listened for much longer now, I can now probably differentiate between at least 3-4 different English accents. However, if someone says 'English accent', the first one that comes to mind is definitely the one in the video (e.g a pretty strong Bumble-esque Yorkshire accent).
Ha, lol. All our posters from the west of the Pennines spitting their tea at the screen now. :laugh:

What you say is fair enough tho, there's nothing to say that Sean Bean's accent is less English than Hugh Grant's.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well there you go. I withdraw my claim about being able to differentiate 3-4 accents: I seriously thought Bumble and that girl in the video had the same accent. :p

Then I guess it's the stereotypical Lancashire accent I'm thinking when I think about 'English' accents. :laugh:

PhoenixFire

Obviously it's pretty easy for us to tell the difference between a Yorkshire and a Lancashire accent, but I can imagine it's not so easy at all for someone who hasn't lived in the UK. Would be like us trying to tell the difference between the Seattle and Boston accent.

Still, calling Bumble a Yorkshireman is ****ing heresy :p

Shri

The southern American accent(Texan) is hilarious/great to hear.

Last edited:

MrPrez

Did you know that many SAers can tell the difference between someone from Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, PE, East London etc? Good luck to a non-SAer though!

I basically can identify between the two obvious styles of English accent - the rough, Collingwood-style accent, and the softer, more normal Gower accent.

grecian

Yeah, I'm not really sure how many Septic accents I know, texan, general southern drawl, New York, Californian teen speak, which is Oz with a Us, erm, accent. The rest is a generic yank thing for me.

Which is pretty poor considering all the US Tv and Films I've watched in my turgidly long life.

Last edited:

grecian

Did you know that many SAers can tell the difference between someone from Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, PE, East London etc? Good luck to a non-SAer though!

I basically can identify between the two obvious styles of English accent - the rough, Collingwood-style accent, and the softer, more normal Gower accent.
Indeed, it's the same for every country I think, when you look at how small geographically the North-West/Midlands is in the Uk, but gawd us natives can regognize dozens of accents, all horrid though.

Quaggas

Hate to be obvious, but some of his accents are miles off. His Welsh accent sounds Indian, his Scottish accent is more Ulster and, for some reason, he's doing his Scouser as a homosexual. :laugh:
Agreed, especially when it's an accent one knows.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Australian accent's quite interesting. Most countries have their variations decided by geography, but in Oz it seems class is more important. There's the broad ocker as spoken by Steve Irwin, Paul Hogan and Tubby Taylor at one end and the more refined version that the likes of Clive James, Geoffrey Rush or Dennis Cometti speak at the other.