• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Breaking News* New team for Season XIII

chaminda_00

Holding back comment until we see them play matches. But on paper they should smash ever CW sides. If this is the case then I can't see an advantage by bring in a side that is just going to dominate the league. I guess we will have to see how good they actually are as a team though.

Goughy

On paper it seems silly and pointless but willing to trust the people at the top to make it work.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Difference is they don't invite them into their own competitions. It is not like Australia get invited to play in the Asia Cup.
I don't see how it's any different in essence though. It's players against quality opposition. And are you honestly saying that you don't the see the benefit to a player in facing quality opposition? :mellow:

If our players can't muster it up within themselves to play well against a Masters XI, I don't see how they can hope to succeed against at international level.

chaminda_00

I don't see how it's any different in essence though. It's players against quality opposition. And are you honestly saying that you don't the see the benefit to a player in facing quality opposition? :mellow:

If our players can't muster it up within themselves to play well against a Masters XI, I don't see how they can hope to succeed against at international level.
The thing is has our national side, A side or U19s haven't had any problems competing of late against National teams. Yeah they haven't dominated, but we haven't had any real problems with being competitive. I'm sure the teams will be competitve, but I don't see the point of bring in a side that is just likely to dominate our league. The standard of our FC cricket isn't that bad IMO, when you look at the performances of debutants recently. Guys are already stepping up pretty comfortably. The only thing the Dev League lacked was a 6th team, there was nothing wrong with the quality of the league or really the quality of opposition week in week out.

Also what is the point of Dev League having a salary cap system, to even the standard of the league. Then having another side who can sign whoever they want and don't have to fit into a cap. It basically allowing them to have a significant advantage over the domestic sides.

Really all we needed was 6th side. The quality of the league was fine. The quality of players coming from Dev League to the national team has been fine. Overall I just think the league would have been better with a side that were going to be on par with other sides, not significantly better.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The thing is has our national side, A side or U19s haven't had any problems competing of late against National teams. Yeah they haven't dominated, but we haven't had any real problems with being competitive. I'm sure the teams will be competitve, but I don't see the point of bring in a side that is just likely to dominate our league. The standard of our FC cricket isn't that bad IMO, when you look at the performances of debutants recently. Guys are already stepping up pretty comfortably. The only thing the Dev League lacked was a 6th team, there was nothing wrong with the quality of the league or really the quality of opposition week in week out.

Also what is the point of Dev League having a salary cap system, to even the standard of the league. Then having another side who can sign whoever they want and don't have to fit into a cap. It basically allowing them to have a significant advantage over the domestic sides.

Really all we needed was 6th side. The quality of the league was fine. The quality of players coming from Dev League to the national team has been fine. Overall I just think the league would have been better with a side that were going to be on par with other sides, not significantly better.
Couldn't agree with this more.

Mr Mxyzptlk

A bit disgusted that the Cricket Web XI coach is so scared of Dev League players facing top quality opposition. Still trying to see why it's a bad thing for each domestic side to play 1/5 of their games against high quality players. Yes, that's 8 games each out of 40 each. When the Colts first came together they were made to face vastly superior sides and have developed into a side of some quality. Even now Cricket Web Black is leagues better (player for player) than Cricket Web Green, and that's considering that the salary cap is in place.

Again I ask it. What's wrong with our players playing against very good opposition? As long as the Masters XI isn't allowed to win the titles (but may compete for the trophies), I don't see how it detracts from the competition. But no, let's all resign to defeat already, seeing as 40% of one of the squads comprises excellent players.

On that note, we should keep Stedman, Chaulk, Cloete, Gough and Pickup from playing for Cricket Web Black at once. Too many quality players in one team tbh. Takes away from the whole thing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
On that note, we should keep Stedman, Chaulk, Cloete, Gough and Pickup from playing for Cricket Web Black at once. Too many quality players in one team tbh. Takes away from the whole thing.
I thought that's what the salary cap/limit of contracted players/additional points for the sixth player/etc were designed to do?

Matteh

A bit disgusted that the Cricket Web XI coach is so scared of Dev League players facing top quality opposition. Still trying to see why it's a bad thing for each domestic side to play 1/5 of their games against high quality players. Yes, that's 8 games each out of 40 each. When the Colts first came together they were made to face vastly superior sides and have developed into a side of some quality. Even now Cricket Web Black is leagues better (player for player) than Cricket Web Green, and that's considering that the salary cap is in place.

Again I ask it. What's wrong with our players playing against very good opposition? As long as the Masters XI isn't allowed to win the titles (but may compete for the trophies), I don't see how it detracts from the competition. But no, let's all resign to defeat already, seeing as 40% of one of the squads comprises excellent players.

That'll be because everyone left.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I thought that's what the salary cap/limit of contracted players/additional points for the sixth player/etc were designed to do?
:laugh: Indeed.

I don't think anyone is "scared" of playing the Masters XI. I just don't see any value in it, or what it really adds to the competition if most teams are just going to get smashed.

chaminda_00

Shouldn't put words in people's mouth. No one ever said they were scared to have this side in the comp. Looks like your pretty much made up your mind on the matter so there no point in discussing it really.

Hopefully the add something to the league, but I guess we will have to wait and see how the games go. It is a bold move to add an extra side into a league as it is something in real life that has never worked in other countries, as usually the sides are too weak to add some extra to the league. So I guess in some ways it is a good thing that they are stronger rather then weaker.