• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buckley or Wainwright?

Who performed the better cover of 'Hallelujah'?

• Total voters

andyc

So I recently had a rather heated discussion with a friend over Leonard Cohen's song 'Hallelujah.' Namely, whether the cover by Jeff Buckley (from the album Grace) was better than the cover by Rufus Wainwright (on the Shrek soundtrack). I personally prefer Buckley, whereas he prefers Wainwright. A quick poll of those in the musical know at a party revealed that Wainwright was the favourite, something which I was fairly disappointed with. So I ask the general CW public, which is better, Jeff Buckley's version, or Rufus Wainwright's version?

cpr

vic_orthdox said:
Reason #44,226 why you should ditch you're mates.
Agreed.

Buckley's by miles and miles and miles.

They probably like the Wainright one better because they heard it on shrek and liked it, and either A) only herd buckleys one much later or B) Havent heard it at all.

Anyone who has Grace knows not only is it a fantastic album and he's a great singer, but hallelujah is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

I had a similar argument with a heathen, sorry, a friend..... He was trying to claim that the version of 'Laid' used in American Pie by some yank singer was better than the original James recording. Infact he went on to insist that when we are out its the yanks version thats played not the original. This is dispite the fact that we live in Manchester, the club in question is a throwback to the 'madchester' 90's indie, and James were one of the biggest bands of that movement. Yet he still believed he was right....

.... Needless to say a quick poll came back with the answer 'shut up you dumb geordie ******************** and come back when you have a clue about music' :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Buckley by a fair bit for mine. I honestly had no idea it was Wainwright on Shrek; just assumed it was some session singer doing slightly iffy impression of Jeff 'cos they couldn't get the rights to his version.

LC's original not without its charms, but I have to be in the mood for his voice. Not so much a singer as a rumbler, old Lenny.

Beleg

Sorry folks, it's Wainwright for me. I love Buckley's voice but Wainwright's cover is just special. (and I heard Buckley's first)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Rufus is a fair gun IMO - love his cover of "Across the Universe" as well. I'm happy with either, and thus voted for :naughty:

pasag

RTDAS
Leonard Cohen's by a million miles. Saying that I like these two versions, but they don't compare to Cohens.