• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chess

Spark

Global Moderator
Good tight game vs Uppercut. Feel like I should been in real danger around move 20 but somehow I was able to simplify into a pretty obviously better endgame

Uppercut

Good tight game vs Uppercut. Feel like I should been in real danger around move 20 but somehow I was able to simplify into a pretty obviously better endgame
I thought your Queen's gambit+King's fianchetto gave me a lot of initiative as black because you had to mess around with the Queen to recapture the pawn. The mid-game was much easier to play for me, but I didn't think I made it massively challenging for you to defend. Maybe in a blitz game there'd have been more chance of you making a mistake.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought your Queen's gambit+King's fianchetto gave me a lot of initiative as black because you had to mess around with the Queen to recapture the pawn. The mid-game was much easier to play for me, but I didn't think I made it massively challenging for you to defend. Maybe in a blitz game there'd have been more chance of you making a mistake.
Haha I was trying to transpose to the Catalan - that Qc2 then Qxc4 motif is basically mainline there. My idea was that down the line I would play a4, b4, b5 and undermine your queenside pawns. Obviously something went wrong though, and the computer is basically telling me to go all out on the kingside instead which I don't quite understand.

chess.com/analysis/game/daily/255365784 This the game for anyone else btw

Last edited:

Uppercut

Haha I was trying to transpose to the Catalan - that Qc2 then Qxc4 motif is basically mainline there. My idea was that down the line I would play a4, b4, b5 and undermine your queenside pawns. Obviously something went wrong though, and the computer is basically telling me to go all out on the kingside instead which I don't quite understand.

chess.com/analysis/game/daily/255365784 This the game for anyone else btw
Yeah the computer doesn't really like my play either. To me it just felt like I was getting a lot of easy development out of attacking the Queen, which is obviously many levels of thinking below the engine.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah the computer doesn't really like my play either. To me it just felt like I was getting a lot of easy development out of attacking the Queen, which is obviously many levels of thinking below the engine.
It is absolutely desperate for me to play h3, f4, e4 at multiple points in the game which I really don't get. Then again I don't actually know much about this opening at all.

Days of Grace

Ok. Added you both. Let’s do it.

I can also start a tourney as I have the gold membership.

Last edited:

Uppercut

It is absolutely desperate for me to play h3, f4, e4 at multiple points in the game which I really don't get. Then again I don't actually know much about this opening at all.
I guess it sees an elaborate tactic. It wouldn't even occur to me to start pushing the Kingside pawns there.

Marcuss

This has been both the best and worst thing for me in self-isolation. Since this thread got bumped I've basically done nothing but read and play.... I still get my arse handed to be in blitz games because I don't see everything quickly enough and make stupid mistakes under pressure but I'm getting there. My endgame sucks too.

honestbharani

M there as honestbharani. Very very rusty and never all that good in chess unless its blitz. But if anyone is available, hit me up for a game.

Spark

Global Moderator
This has been both the best and worst thing for me in self-isolation. Since this thread got bumped I've basically done nothing but read and play.... I still get my arse handed to be in blitz games because I don't see everything quickly enough and make stupid mistakes under pressure but I'm getting there. My endgame sucks too.
I still do this a lot too which is why I’ll throw every fifth game I play from a winning position because I left my rook hanging or some stupid **** like this, but whenever I’ve gotten better it’s always been because I’ve done a whole bunch of tactics puzzles