• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chicken Curry OR Curry Chicken?!

Which is the correct term?

• Chicken curry (Guyanese)

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Curry chicken (Trinidad and Tobago)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Burgey

Who the **** says curry chicken? Trinidadians don't know ****.

It's chicken curry, just like chicken karahi, chicken qorma, chicken jalfrezi, chicken handi etc.
I’m sorry, but millions of people in the Western Hemisphere call it curry chicken. Therefore it must be right to call it by that name. Never mind the accuracy, it just is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Had an excellent Japanese curry yesterday btw. Or according to SS and trundler, an excellent Japanese.

in b4 cannibal jokes
Only referring to when it involves Indian cuisine. Curry as the Japanese eat it is a specific dish that was introduced about 200 years ago and now it’s pretty different, so they get to call it whatever they want. Even toast.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As something of an English scholar, they're both right and it doesn't matter. nothing matters, Rules don't matter. as long as someone else understands what you mean then its fine
So if someone tried to call it Chicken Gravy you'd expect a roast chicken, roast potatoes, parsnip, veg etc.

Teja.

Global Moderator
What is this chicken gravy stuff? The liquid/sauce part of a wet dish is the gravy. The dish in itself is not a gravy.

However, 'curry' need not necessarily be liquidy or have a sauce. For instance, bhindhi fry qualifies to be a curry.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

trundler

Butter is an adjective in that sentence and therefore comes before the noun. Technically it should be buttered chicken. In the case of curry, the word chicken qualifies it instead.

duffer

My wife is a vegetarian so haven't been able to enjoy any chicken dish, no matter what you call it, for 3 months now :(

Would kill one, pluck it and cook it if given the opportunity.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Butter is an adjective in that sentence and therefore comes before the noun. Technically it should be buttered chicken. In the case of curry, the word chicken qualifies it instead.
Logic doesn't necessarily check out. Chicken in butter oriented sauce is a more accurate description of butter chicken than the chicken being 'buttered'. For instance, cashew nut chicken is not cashwewed chicken.

harsh.ag

What is this chicken gravy stuff? The liquid/sauce part of a wet dish is the gravy. The dish in itself is not a gravy.

However, 'curry' need not necessarily be liquidy or have a sauce. For instance, bhindhi fry qualifies to be a curry.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Yes, all true

Teja.

Global Moderator
My wife is a vegetarian so haven't been able to enjoy any chicken dish, no matter what you call it, for 3 months now :(

Would kill one, pluck it and cook it if given the opportunity.
Girlfriend is vegan lol. I really miss her and wish I was stuck with her in B'lore for the lockdown but certainly happier with the food I have now.