• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket related stuff that doesn't really deserve a thread

honestbharani

Out of curiosity how many players from NSW will feature in an ATG Australia XI for tests? Like if I think of the best Aussie XI in my time of watching cricket:

Taylor
Slater
Ponting
Smith
S Waugh
Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Starc
McGrath

I think only Warne, Gilchrist, Ponting, Watson did not play regularly for NSW, right?

Burgey

I keep Lindwall in there tbh, though he'd bat below Davo for mine. He omitted Gilly as he harldy played for NSW which is fair enough, and TPC was omitted on the basis no current players were in contention. Certainly Steve Waugh in for Mark imo as well. Chappelli has his anti-Tugga, anti-Bradman bias on in not naming the former because "fielding" and the latter as skipper.

For those eligible under his criteria, Trumper would also have to be strongly considered in place of one of Simmo or Morris.

Trumper/ Morris
Simmo
Bradman
McCabe (TPC were he eligible)
SWaugh
Nugget
Haddin
Davo
Lindwall
O'Reilly
McGrath

Four genuinely world class quicks, and the best leg spinner of all time pre-Warne. The three picked as quicks (as opposed to Miller as the AR) are all in the argument to be part of Australia's ATG side, along with Lillee. Lindwall at nine also made a test ton. Decent line up tstl.

Would beat a lot of test countries' ATG sides:

SL - by an innings inside three days, on any surface anywhere
India - by an innings inside four days on any surface anywhere
SA - might go into day five on an Adelaide pancake, but unlikely.
England - Probably not an innings, but likely about 150-180 runs on any given surface.
NZ - basically a forfeit, it would be that one sided. Not as bad as SL, but close.
WI - would give their ATG side the edge. Just.
Pakistan - by an innings and a bag of cash in four days, anywhere.
Won't disparage the NSW side by even putting others up against them. Would be even more embarrassing.

stephen

Best Aus XI from my time

Hayden (QLD)
Langer (WA)
Ponting (TAS)
Clarke (NSW)
Waugh (NSW)
Border (QLD)
Gilchrist+ (WA)
Cummins (NSW)
Johnson (QLD)
Warne (Vic)
McGrath (NSW)

4 out of 11. 5 if you count Border (Which he himself wouldn't)

TheJediBrah

I keep Lindwall in there tbh, though he'd bat below Davo for mine. He omitted Gilly as he harldy played for NSW which is fair enough, and TPC was omitted on the basis no current players were in contention. Certainly Steve Waugh in for Mark imo as well. Chappelli has his anti-Tugga, anti-Bradman bias on in not naming the former because "fielding" and the latter as skipper.
Yeah guess I didn't read the article

stephen

You could also being in McDermott over Johnson, or Alderman, Reid, Gillespie, Hazlewood or Harris depending on circumstances. Only Hazlewood is from NSW.

Burgey

Out of curiosity how many players from NSW will feature in an ATG Australia XI for tests? Like if I think of the best Aussie XI in my time of watching cricket:

Taylor
Slater
Ponting
Smith
S Waugh
Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Starc
McGrath

I think only Warne, Gilchrist, Ponting, Watson did not play regularly for NSW, right?
Yeah, Watto played for NSW but not that often or for that long when he was at his prime afaik.

Would have a few different to you assuming you're going from say the 90s onwards. Hayden for Tubby, Harris for Starc, Hussey or Marto for Watson (I wouldn't have an all rounder but I understand why you'd want one). But there's a fair few close calls there.

honestbharani

Best Aus XI from my time

Hayden (QLD)
Langer (WA)
Ponting (TAS)
Clarke (NSW)
Waugh (NSW)
Border (QLD)
Gilchrist+ (WA)
Cummins (NSW)
Johnson (QLD)
Warne (Vic)
McGrath (NSW)

4 out of 11. 5 if you count Border (Which he himself wouldn't)
Yeah I rate Taylor-Slater higher and I think Starc has more upside and consistency than Johnson, so I guess my side becomes totally NSW centric. NSW has not producced any decent allrounders though I guess since 1990 at least?

Burgey

Since I've been watching Australia, I'd have:

Simmo (2nd iteration so kinda cheating here, but whatevs)
Hayden/ Slater
Ponting
TPC
TOTAB (c)
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins/ Harris
Lillee
McGrath

Again, a number of line ballers here. Have picked Thommo before based on his peak, but I think both Cummins and even Rhino were a better package overall. Peak Johnson also unlucky. Shout out to Tubby who opened in a tough era, and also GChappell, who has all of them barr TPC and Ponting covered for talent, but misses my side on the basis he picked and chose his tours too often for my liking. If I needed a tough as guts extra batsman were one of them to break a finger or something, would plumb for Boonie in that middle order. Never took a backward step. Under rated.

honestbharani

Yeah, Watto played for NSW but not that often or for that long when he was at his prime afaik.

Would have a few different to you assuming you're going from say the 90s onwards. Hayden for Tubby, Harris for Starc, Hussey or Marto for Watson (I wouldn't have an all rounder but I understand why you'd want one). But there's a fair few close calls there.

Yeah I totally forgot Mike Hussey, surely I would have him above Watson at 6. Harris for Starc is a good call, I simply went for the variety and I do think by the end, he would have become better than Johnson. But yeah guess if I did go for Rhyno Harris it would make it 6-5 NSW and rest.

honestbharani

Since I've been watching Australia, I'd have:

Simmo (2nd iteration so kinda cheating here, but whatevs)
Hayden/ Slater
Ponting
TPC
TOTAB (c)
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins/ Harris
Lillee
McGrath

Again, a number of line ballers here. Have picked Thommo before based on his peak, but I think both Cummins and even Rhino were a better package overall. Peak Johnson also unlucky. Shout out to Tubby who opened in a tough era, and also GChappell, who has all of them barr TPC and Ponting covered for talent, but misses my side on the basis he picked and chose his tours too often for my liking. If I needed a tough as guts extra batsman were one of them to break a finger or something, would plumb for Boonie in that middle order. Never took a backward step. Under rated.

Counting Hayden over Slater and Cummins over Harris, I guess your side will have 5 NSW players?

Burgey

Yeah it's line ball between those guys. The really important thing for Australian supporters when picking both temporal and ATG national teams is the one Victorian rule. Absolutely vital there's no more than one of the arseholes in any Australian side if the team is to succeed. Warne is really a lock as the Victorian rep, so some very good players like Ponsford and Lawry can't be considered, I'm afraid.

Edit: actually, Ponsford and Lawry are probably the only two Victorians worthy of consideration.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5

stephen

QLD XI:

Brown
Hayden
G Chappell
Border
Symonds
Watson
Grout/Tallon/Healy
Johnson
Thompson
McDermott
Bichel

No spinners and a weaker lower order than NSW but that pace attack would be nasty to face.

TheJediBrah

chappell is such a meme. a flagship example for why past players should rarely be trusted. mark waugh over steve, jfc.

best aussie side from my time

hayden
langer
ponting
smith
waugh (the correct one)
clarke
gilchrist
warne
harris
cummins
mcgrath
This is just about the perfect answer. Hussey maybe unlucky.

But you got Hayden and Langer around the wrong way ****

Burgey

chappell is such a meme. a flagship example for why past players should rarely be trusted. mark waugh over steve, jfc.

best aussie side from my time

hayden
langer
ponting
smith
waugh (the correct one)
clarke
gilchrist
warne
harris
cummins
mcgrath
That's a very, very good side tbh

stephen

Cummins is already the second best Australian quick in my lifetime IMO. He's simply incredible. Not much to separate him and McGrath. In fact he reminds me of a young McGrath a lot. Similar MO but Cummins is a yard quicker.