• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket related stuff that doesn't really deserve a thread

stephen

How many years has it been since Queensland had a keeper as bad as Pierson? Hartley, Seccombe, Healy were all excellent keepers.

Flem274*

123/5
ryan harris still #2 for me, but that's ignoring longevity and even then it's close. i love ryan harris. was watching some highlights just today. like a typical australian he hits the deck hard with a probing line, and he could make the new ball talk.

for all the chat that you need pace in australia, the three best aussies i've seen were all brisk fast medium for most of their careers. cummins doesn't really crank it these days and harris slowed down as well. mcgrath was mcgrath.

stephen

The need for pace in Australia is nonsense. High 130s is all you need if you can move the ball off the seam or get extra lift.

Flem274*

123/5
The need for pace in Australia is nonsense. High 130s is all you need if you can move the ball off the seam or get extra lift.
you're triggering my southee voodoo doll

he miraculously regained his lift and the ability to bowl at least 135kph when he had some hapless indians to bowl to.

im officially triggered.

TheJediBrah

There hasn't been a kiwi who can bowl in Australia since Hadlee. Reckon the best I've seen a kiwi seam bowler do in Australia was Craig McMillan take 4-for in 2001 all caught in the deep.

nb: the single aberration of Doug Bracewell on a dirty greentop in Hobart doesn't count, Tasmania is not Australia

and no flem, 115kph half trackers getting wickets when Aus are already 2-400 and looking for a decaration doesn't count either

Flem274*

123/5
There hasn't been a kiwi who can bowl in Australia since Hadlee. Reckon the best I've seen a kiwi seam bowler do in Australia was Craig McMillan take 4-for in 2001 all caught in the deep.

nb: the single aberration of Doug Bracewell on a dirty greentop in Hobart doesn't count, Tasmania is not Australia

and no flem, 115kph half trackers getting wickets when Aus are already 2-400 and looking for a decaration doesn't count either
triggered?

unfortunately someone more earnest and honest than me is going to reply to you seriously when all you really deserve is a reminder you're a nice bloke trying to edge lord. if you want to go full benchmark00 you need to become it.

h_hurricane

What is common between Brendon McCullum's triple hundred, Michael Clarke's triple hundred and Alastair Cook's near triple against India ?

They were all dropped by Ishant ****ing Sharma early on in their innings.

GoodAreasShane

Late career Harris was far quicker than pre 2007 Harris

It's truly incredible to think he was once 5th choice seamer in a weak side once upon a time. Still bitter about SACA letting him go just as he was starting to get properly good

TheJediBrah

Late career Harris was far quicker than pre 2007 Harris

It's truly incredible to think he was once 5th choice seamer in a weak side once upon a time. Still bitter about SACA letting him go just as he was starting to get properly good
I've still never heard a good explanation as to how he went from a 125 to 145kph bowler over the course of a few seasons at the age of 30

that would have to be a pretty rare occurrence

stephen

I've still never heard a good explanation as to how he went from a 125 to 145kph bowler over the course of a few seasons at the age of 30

that would have to be a pretty rare occurrence
He said that when he was in SA he was being used as a workhorse and was asked to bowl a lot of overs on a pitch offering nothing. When he moved to Queensland the bowling coaching was better and he was encouraged to really bang it in and go hard. The pitches were more responsive up here which encouraged that kind of bowling more.

TheJediBrah

He said that when he was in SA he was being used as a workhorse and was asked to bowl a lot of overs on a pitch offering nothing. When he moved to Queensland the bowling coaching was better and he was encouraged to really bang it in and go hard. The pitches were more responsive up here which encouraged that kind of bowling more.
Yeah I've heard that but there has to be more to it, like from a biomechanical perspective. You don't just start bowling 15-20k's quicker because there's some grass and bounce in a pitch, or because you're a little less tired.

honestbharani

Also I read somewhere he always knew his time was limited as an international cricketer and therefore gave it everything without worrying about injury and longevity etc. Becoming a regular later in his career probably helped with that attidue, I guess.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I've heard that but there has to be more to it, like from a biomechanical perspective. You don't just start bowling 15-20k's quicker because there's some grass and bounce in a pitch, or because you're a little less tired.
it seems commonish for australians. when starc and johnson first showed up in jamodis they were at the pointy end of fast medium in games i saw, then in a year or so they were lightning.

bond went from right arm medium to right arm fast after joining the police. ferguson was coached into pace by doull iirc. mcclenaghan went from medium to briefly very sharp before returning from injury in a champions trophy as medium fast.

edit - pace is a lot more fluctuating than is generally recognised too. witness the english (finn, wood, archer) who seem to sit in a new speed range every second game.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Johnson was very quick when burst on to the scene. They were saying he was a left handed Brett Lee and he gave a hard time to both Lara and Sachin in a JAMODI tri series in Malaysia or something.

TheJediBrah

it seems commonish for australians. when starc and johnson first showed up in jamodis they were at the pointy end of fast medium in games i saw, then in a year or so they were lightning.

bond went from right arm medium to right arm fast after joining the police. ferguson was coached into pace by doull iirc. mcclenaghan went from medium to briefly very sharp before returning from injury in a champions trophy as medium fast.

edit - pace is a lot more fluctuating than is generally recognised too. witness the english (finn, wood, archer) who seem to sit in a new speed range every second game.
This is your memory erring. Johnson was always rapid. Starc might have got a bit quicker but he was never slow and most of that could be put down to him maturing physically.