• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW helps little NZ pick it's new flag

straw man

FINALLY people here are discussing something of great importance, like flags. I know many people are claiming this is just Key's vanity project or distraction squirrel, but it's a mighty fine squirrel imo.

Need to separate what is a nice design (like say, that one Hendrix posted) from something you can actually see being recognisable as representing NZ. Colours should be black, white, perhaps blue. Not sold on green or red. Probably just the silver fern on black. Do quite like this one though two motifs does make it crowded.

Enjoyed the joke ones too: New Zealand's new flag: 15 quirky contenders | World news | The Guardian

Dan

Global Moderator
So the whole heritage of the Confederate Flag is negative and the heritage of the Union Jack is positive? Just goes to demonstrate that popular history is unerringly written by the winners.
Yeah, its not like the British were colonialist overlords or anything...oh wait.

Athlai

Not Terrible
FINALLY people here are discussing something of great importance, like flags. I know many people are claiming this is just Key's vanity project or distraction squirrel, but it's a mighty fine squirrel imo.

Need to separate what is a nice design (like say, that one Hendrix posted) from something you can actually see being recognisable as representing NZ. Colours should be black, white, perhaps blue. Not sold on green or red. Probably just the silver fern on black. Do quite like this one though two motifs does make it crowded.

Enjoyed the joke ones too: New Zealand's new flag: 15 quirky contenders | World news | The Guardian
4 of the 40 designs submitted are alternate colours of that. It's probably my first choice as well.

I expect we'll probably see one of them go against the current one in the referendum.

Athlai

Not Terrible
the others

Big no to the red/blue one. Quite partial to the blue/black one, and I like how red/white/black uses the traditional Maori colours.

G.I.Joe

The problem with that curly union jack thingy is that it's the sort of design you'd see on an Ed Hardy T-shirt. It's absolutely unsuited to a flag.

Daemon

That QR code one was great

Howe_zat

I more enjoyed the joke captions.

‘new zealand is a freeland and precious nation of british countries. and natives of new zealand, maoris. maoris are main members of new zealand with british immigrants. so i made ‘N’ of new zealand with maorian spears. and painted union jack colors. and then, inserted polynesian sun between the spears. i know my design is mediocre. but this is just a brief sample.’
This actually sounds like Hurricane

straw man

Big no to the red/blue one. Quite partial to the blue/black one, and I like how red/white/black uses the traditional Maori colours.
Agree and agree, though I find the red+black one a little too angry-looking.

Wouldn't mind seeing the black one with the red star centres whited out too, so that it's completely black and white.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd like to see the 40 all as actual flags. It looks a bit different on fabric and on a flag pole.

Spikey

hey guys just so you know the ****ing southern cross can **** right off. it's just a bunch of stars which looks like a cross which was a big deal in the ****ing 19th century with those dumb **** christan poms but who the **** even cares anymore apart from racists

straw man

I'd like to see the 40 all as actual flags. It looks a bit different on fabric and on a flag pole.
Defintely find the mediocrity of about half those options drags down the decent ones. They need to be seen in isolation. A flag pole would work.

Spikey

dont know why you don't just go with the silver fern flag. the southern cross is dumb and attempts to get the Koru on the flag are average at best.

Daemon

I wonder if James will update the flag on the front page when it changes but not include Afghanistan just to **** with Nufan.