• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW helps little NZ pick it's new flag

cpr

I find the 'silver fern is an emblem of our sporting/military side rather than us as a people'.... Aren't they the ones who probably have most use and association with the flag?

I see the Silver Fern and I think of New Zealand as a whole, not just the All Blacks/Cricket team, or your army/navy/Saurumans legion of orcs. Infact I can't think of any other emblem that makes me think of your country. Well you could put a Kiwi on, but that one got rejected...

I like the silver fern on black background, but rather than having the Southern Cross to the right of it, I'd have it surrounding the fern, so two stars to the top and the bottom two below.

Hurricane

I don't like the etti cut of your jib... And I fear that you've proved KiwiVictor right.
For not being able to speak another language or for having poor language skills? You are adding some feistiness to the thread. Spell check says that is spelled wrong too so you can get out the red pen for that as well. Only banter Heef which I am poor at as you know....

hendrix

We are much much more than a bicultural society. We have more New Zealandish things about us than our Maori heritage.

When I missed New Zealand and came back here to live it certainly wasn't for the Maori heritage. Last thing on my mind. What was on my mind was the fact that I knew everyone would have similar social skills to me and conduct themselves with the same etticut that I do. And that is exactly what has transpired. There is an X factor that binds us no matter if you are Maori, Asian, or Pakeha and that X factor is what needs to be on the flag and not necessarily something Maori unless you can argue the Maori icon you are proposing is that x factor.
You're misunderstanding what biculturalism is about. It's not dismissing other cultures - if you're an Indian NZer you might speak one of the Indian languages and take part in Indian cultural events. If you're a German NZer you might do a crapload of hiking and be very organised. If you're an English NZer you might not shower. That's all fine and no one is making the case for people to lose that.

But if you were raised in this country you probably speak English, and will understand lots of Maori words and phrases and know your school haka and Te Rauparaha's haka and maybe a few others, and know a few songs. You know not to sit on the table.

It's not about whether you care about the heritage or not; it's there in you.

Dan

Global Moderator
Look, everyone should agree that the motif on the flag ought to be a car on a pole.

If you disagree you aren't a true New Zealand!

Spikey

disappointed I started a debate about the fern when I really wanted to spark a debate about ****ing stupid the southern cross is

Goughy

You are comic relief with your passionate posts from left field.

Does the USA need a union jack in their flag then given they speak English there too?
Hawaii still does in the state flag.

It is an interesting discussion. Good luck to NZ on this issue. For an outsider the short list looks pretty uninspiring though. I guess only history will judge if whatever is selected is the right choice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Only Australia and NZ have meat pies the way we have them right? I know the UK and US have meat pies but they're not really something you can find at every gas station/cornershop as a snack.