• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni is a superstar. Haters can suck it

vcs

Agree with this.

It boils down to personal preference as well to a certain degree. I like finishers better compared to hard hitting batsmen up the order. Bevan type batsmen a rare breed.
I have the opposite preference to you. I have said earlier that I would pick Ponting over Bevan if I was building a team and had to choose one of them. But there's absolutely nothing between the two, they're both in the discussion for ODI greatest batsman ever.

Sanz

The bolded is your opinion, but unadulterated tripe.

Viv and Bevan were completely different ODI batsmen. Viv was a hard-hitting #3/4 and Bevan a finisher (although he averaged 60! at #4). One set up big scores, the other one chased them. In terms of upper order batsmen there probably is no one as good as Viv, with Sachin just behind. In terms of finishing there is no one like Bevan.
Dhoni Averages 70 @ No. 4 with a strike rate of 100+, Bevan Averages 60 with a strike rate of 70.

Sanz

The bolded is your opinion, but unadulterated tripe.

Viv and Bevan were completely different ODI batsmen. Viv was a hard-hitting #3/4 and Bevan a finisher (although he averaged 60! at #4). One set up big scores, the other one chased them. In terms of upper order batsmen there probably is no one as good as Viv, with Sachin just behind. In terms of finishing there is no one like Bevan.
And what you say is your opinion too don't try to pass it up as some sort of fact. There was no one like IVAR, no matter where he batted.

zorax

likes this
OBV there was no one as good as Richards, but there were tons of cheap imitations. Doesn't stop Bevan from being one of the best all-time.

Fantastic finisher really. I'd argue Hussey could have been just as good, if not better, if he had a longer career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And what you say is your opinion too don't try to pass it up as some sort of fact. There was no one like IVAR, no matter where he batted.
I actually agree with you about Richards in ODIs, but lol @ the irony in this post. :p

weldone

Dhoni's a true champ. I've maintained from a while now that I consider him the best ODI wicketkeeper-batsman of all-time in the world, slightly above Gilchrist. He's definitely among the best captains from India ever, if not the best. And nowadays I am considering him seriously as a contender to be in All-time Indian Test XI, as well. He has improved hugely as a wicketkeeper from the time he had come in the team. And currently he's definitely among the top 3 wicketkeepers in the world (on keeping alone).

Last edited:

Burgey

He is h & s above Gilly as a wk batsman in ODIs period.
That's a big call to make, given the differences in the positions they batted in.

Dhoni is a great, great LO batsman though. No doubt about that. I actually like the way he's changed his game the past few years. That innings he played the other night was a great, great knock. To put yourself under the spotlight like that and to come through when it matters most confirms his greatness as an ODI player to me (but I thought he was great beforehand it should be said).

Spark

Global Moderator
Thought his reaction upon hitting the six was win, btw. Just a cool, nonchalant smile whilst everyone else went beserk.

kingpin

Cannot compare Gilly and Dhoni.....Gilly was a opener and Dhoni a LO batsman!!...But ya a pretty close competition b/w them..I think Dhoni may be above all when he will be about to retire....right up their with SRT and Richards IMO....

Bun

Banned
That's a big call to make, given the differences in the positions they batted in.

Dhoni is a great, great LO batsman though. No doubt about that. I actually like the way he's changed his game the past few years. That innings he played the other night was a great, great knock. To put yourself under the spotlight like that and to come through when it matters most confirms his greatness as an ODI player to me (but I thought he was great beforehand it should be said).

Cannot compare Gilly and Dhoni.....Gilly was a opener and Dhoni a LO batsman!!...But ya a pretty close competition b/w them..I think Dhoni may be above all when he will be about to retire....right up their with SRT and Richards IMO....

The only thing that was giving Gilly an advantage was that he performed superbly un the WC finals. Something Dhoni didn't get a chance to. But now, that is done, Dhoni is at the same time a Wk, captain, extremely reliable middle order bat, explosive top order bat, slogger, accumulator. It's hard to see what role has he not played in the team. Perhaps barring opening, although his biggest scores have come when he pseudoopened it at no.3. Once in a lifetime player really.

ankitj

Thought his reaction upon hitting the six was win, btw. Just a cool, nonchalant smile whilst everyone else went beserk.
That's Dhoni for you. Does huge things but does them nonchalantly and without fuss. One rare show of emotion in the match though was when he was forces into a single by Yuvi. He hit his own pads so hard that the thud was audible beyond the boundary rope they say.

Bun

Banned
Gilly is a legend period. But he was a unidimensional player. Come see hit if not get out. He played his natural game almost throughout his career. Not a bad thing especially when he had players like Ponting, Hayden, Bevan, Symonds etc to do it after him, and having watched him adapt during the 2003-04 test series in India, Gilly indeed perhaps possessed the "play through" game. But fact is it never really was proven in ODIs. It's like calling Warne the best Aussie captain that never was. There are peripheral evidence pointing to the same, but none direct.

Bun

Banned
That's Dhoni for you. Does huge things but does them nonchalantly and without fuss. One rare show of emotion in the match though was when he was forces into a single by Yuvi. He hit his own pads so hard that the thud was audible beyond the boundary rope they say.
More like he was angry with himself for doing the stop-start-stop routine. Could've easily been a run out had it been a lesser agile batsman.

ankitj

Once in a lifetime player really.
It can be said of Dhoni and Tendulkar what someone said about Bradman and Warne - "There'd sooner be another Tendulkar than there'd be another Dhoni"

Doesn't mean Dhoni is a greater cricketer but only more unique.

zorax

likes this
I disagree with that. Calm, cool, re-assuring leaders who thrived under pressure who rose to the occassion when in mattered. Steve Waugh anyone?

There'll definitely be more like Dhoni before there are any more like Tendulkar.

Not to deny the fact that Dhoni is just awesome.

honestbharani

I am not really referring to this thread, but the post you made here and the one in the match thread. You make it sound like this one knock makes the prior criticisms suddenly invalid. There is nothing misinformed about the critique Dhoni had gotten for not stepping up at WCs.

Gilchrist has performed far better than Dhoni in WCs although Dhoni is probably better than him overall.

I don't recall saying that but I may have. My gripe is with Dhoni being compared to Bevan. Dhoni has never played the kind of innings Bevan has at WCs. And that's not something I bring up as some sort of tie-breaker - because I think Bevan is better overall regardless. I think it shows a clear lack of respect to compare a colossus of the limited overs game to someone who before today had never played an innings of note at the most important event in said format.

A great knock today, but outside it Dhoni had a very forgettable tourney.
So Bevan made an amazing 90* in a WC final at home under the most immense pressure a cricketer can imagine? 8-) Already Dhoni has trumped Ponting and Gilchrist in WC finals for me... So he is the best eva........ :p