• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players Tournament 2009

brockley

Checked the nz site they have the nz emerging side,no itinnery.
A few veterans in the squad a few saffies too.
Confirmed nz,s africa,aust and india playing.
Yet to see the aust squad or indias'.

TT Boy

Just one Seth African, Neil Wagner.

de Grandhomme is a Zimbo.

Peter Fulton, captain, (Canterbury)
Nick Beard (Otago)
Hamish Bennett (Canterbury)
Te Ahu Davis (Northern Districts)
Colin de Grandhomme (Auckland)
Anaru Kitchen (Auckland)
Tarun Nethula (Auckland)
Jeet Raval (Auckland)
Lance Shaw (Auckland)
Tim Southee (Northern Districts)
Neil Wagner (Otago)
BJ Watling (Northern Districts)
Kane Williamson (Northern Districts)
George Worker (Central Districts)
Reece Young (Auckland)

Strange Wagner is in the 15 as he isn't eligible for two more years.

TT Boy

Southee and Wagner could be a pretty potent new ball attack. Not the strongest of NZ sides given what they sent last year but I think the full-team are touring Sri Lanka fairly soon.

Flem274*

123/5
Just one Seth African, Neil Wagner.

de Grandhomme is a Zimbo.

Peter Fulton, captain, (Canterbury)
Nick Beard (Otago)
Hamish Bennett (Canterbury)
Te Ahu Davis (Northern Districts)
Colin de Grandhomme (Auckland)
Anaru Kitchen (Auckland)
Tarun Nethula (Auckland)
Jeet Raval (Auckland)
Lance Shaw (Auckland)
Tim Southee (Northern Districts)
Neil Wagner (Otago)
BJ Watling (Northern Districts)
Kane Williamson (Northern Districts)
George Worker (Central Districts)
Reece Young (Auckland)

Strange Wagner is in the 15 as he isn't eligible for two more years.
So (on the whole) the selectors went for youth then. Kewl. I'd play as the first XI

George Worker
Bradley Watling
Peter Fulton
Kane Williamson
Anaru Kitchen
Colin de Grandhomme
Reece Young (not again)
Tim Southee
Tarun Nethula
Neil Wagner
Lance Shaw

A bit meh about de Grandhomme and Young, but for a team picked mainly on youth, its pretty good.

SeamUp

TT Boy if you look at our contracted squad plus young players coming through we have a lot of talent.

To me we have 3 of the most exciting young batsmen in Dean Elgar (touch player & manipulates fields), Rilee Rossouw (biffer and aggressive), & Jonathan Vandiar (Agrressive but silky rists like Amla). Its unfortunate that Vandiar is going next month.

What is your gut feel on the better wicketkeepers between Kuhn & Smit to replace Bouch??
I just feel Smit is Bouch the 2nd and is the one for me. He can hit sixes an can innovate and Kuhn cannot in T20 & List A. Smit scores important runs under pressure down the order in FC cricket while Kuhn opens and scores lots of runs but if we want proper batsman we can get one. Smit is way ahead in keeping ability...the amount of stumpings he took off opening bowlers last season (Govender & Kent) was sensational.

I'm disappointed that Kyle Abbott & Obus Pienaar aren't going. I know Abbott got last to the system even though he played SA Colts in 2006 because he was af arm boy. The same happened with Lance Klusener because he was farm boy. I know they both smack the ball & Obus is a left armer.

Do you know anything interesting and more on Pienaar & Abbott in terms of pace and other stuff mate???

TT Boy

TT Boy if you look at our contracted squad plus young players coming through we have a lot of talent.

To me we have 3 of the most exciting young batsmen in Dean Elgar (touch player & manipulates fields), Rilee Rossouw (biffer and aggressive), & Jonathan Vandiar (Agrressive but silky rists like Amla). Its unfortunate that Vandiar is going next month.

What is your gut feel on the better wicketkeepers between Kuhn & Smit to replace Bouch??
I just feel Smit is Bouch the 2nd and is the one for me. He can hit sixes an can innovate and Kuhn cannot in T20 & List A. Smit scores important runs under pressure down the order in FC cricket while Kuhn opens and scores lots of runs but if we want proper batsman we can get one. Smit is way ahead in keeping ability...the amount of stumpings he took off opening bowlers last season (Govender & Kent) was sensational.

I'm disappointed that Kyle Abbott & Obus Pienaar aren't going. I know Abbott got last to the system even though he played SA Colts in 2006 because he was af arm boy. The same happened with Lance Klusener because he was farm boy. I know they both smack the ball & Obus is a left armer.

Do you know anything interesting and more on Pienaar & Abbott in terms of pace and other stuff mate???
I haven't seen much of Pienaar but his got some pace, dominated during the recent U19 series with England and his performances at the end of the season with the Eagles were good enough to earn himself a contract with the franchise next year.

Abbott I have no idea, good some decent stats and I know he played some second XI cricket in England. He too has been rewarded with a contract for next season. Looks like both players are more than handy with the bat as well.

As for the keeper question, I think Smit is the better glovesman but his batting isn't good enough for international cricket. Whilst Kuhn's keeping isn't as strong (but it is improving) his good enough to bat top seven for South Africa.

I really like the look of Vandiar. For me his going to play for South Africa soon and his a good player of spin, really quick on his feet. Bowls some decent leggies as well and is a fanatastic fielder.

Rossouw reminds me a bit of Graeme Smith, same strengths and same weaknesses (plays all around his front-pad and does get done LBW with the ball that comes back into the left-hander).

Elgar had a pretty poor season but he did come alive during the Pro20. He had a great chance of being the next in-line for the opening test role but his poor form in SuperSport meant that the selectors couldn't look past Imraan Khan.

SeamUp

Yeah I just feel that we have only 5 international class fast bowlers in Steyn, Ntini, M.Morkel, Parnell & Tsotsobe. Thats why I mentioned Pienaar & Abbott because they performed really strongly with the ball and both have good SA school pedigrees. Add it to it they can bat it makes even more PROMISING. I remember people saying how we going to find all-rounders after Pollock, Klusener, Kallis, Hall etc but now we have 4 in A.Morkel, Parnell, Abbott & Pienaar who are talented. Bowlers like CJ De Villiers, Zondeki, Louw & De Wet aren't international bowlers for varying reason like age, pace and their quality as I've seen enough of them.

I still maintain Kuhn is over-rated with the bat and is flat track bully while Smit is innovator, fighter and 6 hitter & Mickey rates him highly. He was part of the successful u19 team in England in 2003 with De Villiers & Duminy.

I think Vandiar, Elgar & Rossouw should all play for the Proteas. I think that Elgar has the pedigree to be the next SA captain after Smith. Sure Elgar had a poor season but he still got a couple of big scores in FC season with that 155 at Benoni. My feeling on Elgar is that at least he is struggling early in his career and can learn. We all know the talent he has ...you cannot be bad if you score 225 as a 19 year-old on our seaming domestic tracks. Khan isn't international material. Before this season he only scored 2 centuries at FC level in 5 franchise seasons and he is 25 now.

Rossouw is definitely Smith the 2nd in style of play and really played well under pressure this year. I'm a big fan of Vnadiar but I believe he is behind Elgar & Rossouw in pecking order.

straw man

Lance Shaw? Really?

Why was Davis picked ahead of McClenegenegenegen?
My thoughts exactly. Lance Shaw benefiting from taking a five-for in last seasons final.

And if you want an erratic quick to satisfy the punters then surely McClenaghan is a better bet than Te Ahu Davis.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, at least McClennaghan has bowled in a vaguely straight line before. Plus he adds left arm variety, bounce, and off memory is quicker.

Lance Shaw isn't the worst selection in the world. He's Kyle Mills-esque in a way, so he could do something in tests ifi ts moving but otherwise, no way. I wouldn't have picked him but at least we don't have Davis, Sherlock, McClennaghan and Bennet taking the field in the same bowling attack. Or alternatively a dibbly-dobbly combo of Diamanti, Bowden, Yovich and McSkimming.