• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd take England's too.

Again, its a pedantic argument because they're both so incredibly ****, but I think Swann + Bresnan is performing slightly better right now than Zaheer + Harbhajan (mainly because of Harbhajan).

vcs

Swann > Harbhajan ATM.
Zaheer > Bresnan/Broad for me. Bresnan has really impressed me though.

Both teams have fairly ordinary backup bowlers, India probably marginally worse.

India's piechuckers are more useful than England's in these conditions, so I guess I'd still go with India.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Swann > Harbhajan ATM.
Zaheer > Bresnan/Broad for me. Bresnan has really impressed me though.

Both teams have fairly ordinary backup bowlers, India probably marginally worse.

India's piechuckers are more useful than England's in these conditions, so I guess I'd still go with India.
Swann>Bhajji for me

Zak>=Broad>Bresnan

Shehzad, Anderson > Nehra, Munaf

But the differences are slight so I will go with England.

Mikey29

Banned
To be fair, India and NZ are the worst, hands down.

Englands bowling CAN be destructive. More than I can say for India.

India should have played Sreesanth more and got him some match practice. He atleast HAS the ability to take 2-3 quick wickets. They opted for the (hardly) safer Nehra and now they're not in the best shape bowling wise.

IndiaLose

To be fair, India and NZ are the worst, hands down.

Englands bowling CAN be destructive. More than I can say for India.

India should have played Sreesanth more and got him some match practice. He atleast HAS the ability to take 2-3 quick wickets. They opted for the (hardly) safer Nehra and now they're not in the best shape bowling wise.
The reason why Sreesanth has not been given more match practice is because Dhoni doesn't want to. He is not very fond of Sreesanth. One should keep personal issues aside from professional. I get the sense that Dhoni and other players really don't want him in this squad. He is there because Praveen apparently wasn't fit enough to play.

It’s time Dhoni picked Ashwin. If India play two spinners and two seamers, then Ashwin has to be in the side. And in case he opts for three seamers, then Sreesanth — or anybody else — must replace Nehra.

I sincerely don’t know what Nehra is doing in that side. He is unfit most of the time.

Last edited:

Mikey29

Banned
I don't really blame Dhoni for not selecting Sree, and selecting Nehra over Ashwin. They have so many spinners in the team, they probably feel they need more than 2 pacers. Shows more how poor the situation is for fast bowlers in India.

Ashwin would be a better bet on most decks than Nehra. Munaf has done an ok job and will be a handful on tracks with a bit of life, but Nehra probably shouldn't be near the team.

Sreesanth was so disappointing in the first match. Hasn't done justice to his ability.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
0-231 in a knock-out match.

Final nail in the coffin for mine. Definitely the worst bowling attack.

vcs

Not quite as bad as the 0-231 indicates, because they were badly depleted by injuries to Broad, Shehzad and maybe someone else that I'm missing, but even their first choice attack has the potential to turn into cannon-fodder when the subcontinent batsmen get going against them. The ODI series against India in 2008 and the WC prove that fairly comprehensively.

Howe_zat

They performed the worst, fair enough. There is clearly more to it than that, their best bowlers were either mentally broken or literally broken, the whole affair was pretty messy.

And they were tonked by a very good side in home conditions that's been preparing for this for months rather than days. Deservedly so.

We can and we should come back from this. Our two frontline bowlers who actually managed to last, Swann and Bresnan, came out of this with decent records and bowled some excellent spells. Broad coming back is a given. Jimmy was the only real disaster and justifiably the only one whose permanant place should be under doubt. Really hoping he gets some early season wickets in the CC.

The batting was the bigger problem, especially opening and lower-order accleration.

vcs

Anderson shouldn't come anywhere near an England ODI side in the subcontinent TBH. He managed to average 48 in a low scoring series that England won in SL in 2007. When you couple that with his wicketless 2008 series in India and his recent WC exploits, you have to think he just isn't made for 50 over cricket in these conditions.

Jacknife

Anderson shouldn't come anywhere near an England ODI side in the subcontinent TBH. He managed to average 48 in a low scoring series that England won in SL in 2007. When you couple that with his wicketless 2008 series in India and his recent WC exploits, you have to think he just isn't made for 50 over cricket in these conditions.
I agree in the sub continent , but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss him, especially in home conditions.
As far as the rest of the attack, we know what Broad, Swann and Bresnan can do and Broad and Swann are world class. The thing for England is getting depth to their Odi team not just the bowling, but the batting also. Samit Patel would be the answer to a few of those questions, as far as variety in bowling and lower order hitting and you'd have thought with a place virtually guaranteed he would be doing all he could do to make this happen.
I think this summer, England will start to introduce a few new faces, maybe the likes of Taylor and Jos Buttler, who has had a crazy good start to his list A career where he averages 50 at a strike rate of 150. With both being only 20, they should be eased into the side carefully.

vcs

Yeah, only meant the subcontinent. His style of bowling just doesn't work here right now, don't see him bowling cutters and mixing up the pace etc. If he adds those things, he might give himself a better chance of success in these conditions.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't expect him to tear it up when we come across in October, but I wouldn't expect him to go as badly as he did in 2008 either. 2008 was an odd year for Anderson in ODIs, he'd generally tightened up his bowling but for some reason that year seemed utterly incapable of taking wickets against anybody.