• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No way you can say that after today as if failing to defend 226 makes it inconclusive

Bowling choked at the end but that doesn't make it the worst
Nah today's performance didn't prove they were the worst, 226 is not a huge score that they couldn't defend. Still nothing they did today to put themselves in any positive light, esp. with how Bangladesh has been batting this tournament. Allowing a 9th wicket almost 60 run partnership from the Bangladeshi lineup is not excusable. And couple of those overs at the end were so facepalm worthy.

Still maintain they are the worst of the top teams, along with India.

Last edited:

irottev

England didn't set enough runs. Bowling wasn't that bad in all hoensty. It's still a crsap attack though.

salman85

I don't think Cricinfo has ever summed up a player better than the bio on James Anderson :

"when he's good, he's very, very good - and when he's bad he's horrid"

Jacknife

I don't think Cricinfo has ever summed up a player better than the bio on James Anderson :

"when he's good, he's very, very good - and when he's bad he's horrid"
Over the last couple of years or so, I thought those days were behind him because tbf to him he has rarely had too many bad performances. But that one he had in the Odi's in Oz, which I thought at the time were a one off and while he's been at the WC, barring the SA game, he's looked, not just a bit out of form, he looks shot and like he could with a break at home with his family.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was poor in that 6th one dayer in that he didn't bowl too intelligently, but he wasn't bowling shoulder-high beamers and fivers. That's been only in this WC.

Jacknife

He was poor in that 6th one dayer in that he didn't bowl too intelligently, but he wasn't bowling shoulder-high beamers and fivers. That's been only in this WC.
Yes, even when he's been poor in the past, he hasn't been, like you said, beamers, high tossers and countless wides bad.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I know most people won't agree but I'm disliking this attribution of Anderson's fails here to externalities and lack of form. IMHO, him being dire on flat pitches in India is mainly due to his lack of cricketing ability to adapt and be half-decent in LO conditions such as these. It's not a question of him being a mercurial bowler who has every chance of tearing up an opposition as he has of going for runs, It's just that, in these conditions, he's ****e. Please don't elevate him to the status of being inconsistent and mercurial just because he can bowl some pretty balls which other bowlers who perform similarly in India cannot bowl. He should be out of the XI ASAP, IMHO.

Last edited:

Marcuss

I don't think you can put the fact he's bowling a million more wides than usual down to the pitch/conditions.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You bowl more wides though when you're trying to do too much because your usual deliveries which work on pitches he's used to get carted for six on Indian wickets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well I'm not buying he just coincidentally turned to **** the minute he hit Indian shores.

Marcuss

He was **** in the ODIs vs Australia..
Hasn't been great in the format for ages.

Last edited:

Marcuss

He's bowling badly because he's not a very good limited overs bowler. He's not mercurial, he's just not that good in this format. He's been less than special for ages and was really quite awful in some of the games vs Australia. Over here his form has just got worse so currently he's a not-great bowler in ****house form. It doesn't make for pleasant viewing as an England fan.

vcs

Well, I think that's what Teja is essentially getting at.. he's just not a very good limited overs bowler at this point in his career. :) In Indian conditions, he's close to a liability. He hasn't got Zaheer's nous, but it can only come with experience.

tooextracool

Really worries me that people dont see the trend with James. While there are exceptions, hes made a career out of taking wickets with the new white ball while it is swinging but always looked innocuous otherwise. Obviously, in the subcontinent when hes got near to no swing with the new ball hes looked pretty poor. Its not exactly an earth shattering observation this, nor is he our biggest liability anyhow. My personal opinion is that he has a place in the side, especially if they used him right because he takes wickets, but he is frequently used poorly and hes also overrated by the masses for being a very ordinary limited overs bowler.

vcs

India probably has the worst bowling attack among major teams
Zaheer and Harbhajan make it better than England IMO, though it's a close run thing and Harbhajan hasn't really bowled well and looked like a wicket-taking threat in this tournament before yesterday.