• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ethical decisions

nibbs

i'm travelling to nepal in february. doing a hike around everest and gokyo.

my pals and i are keen to do it ourselves. this means carrying all of our stuff the whole way. i think this way would be more like the way himalayan heroes such as ed hillary or heinrich harrer would've done it. this way would work out cheaper, and i think i'd get a bit of satisfaction out of doing it this way

on the other hand, nepal is one of the poorest nations on earth (god knows how they beat nz at the u19 world cup a few years back). we can hire a guide/porter. he'd set us back about $20US a day. this would provide employment and generally be more beneificial to the area. but having him there would somehow annooy me. it'd kill the adventure in way. having someone help carry my luggage. seems like a cop out that i'd expect from someone fat. i'm not like that.

what would you do?

ripper868

Pretty sure Hilary had Nepalese dudes with him when he did the climb tbh.

Wouldn't be a cop out imo, would be stupid to do a thing such as everest without a local to help out should **** go bad.

age_master

Pretty sure Hilary had Nepalese dudes with him when he did the climb tbh.

Wouldn't be a cop out imo, would be stupid to do a thing such as everest without a local to help out should **** go bad.
AWTA. While i certainly understand where you are coming from in terms of wanting the adventure, a guide could help you avoid trouble and will know the best spots to go in a given area.

There are plenty of ways to support the local economy. Buying food and suvenirs that are locally made from small business is a great way to help build the economy.

Sanz

i'm travelling to nepal in february. doing a hike around everest and gokyo.

my pals and i are keen to do it ourselves. this means carrying all of our stuff the whole way. i think this way would be more like the way himalayan heroes such as ed hillary or heinrich harrer would've done it. this way would work out cheaper, and i think i'd get a bit of satisfaction out of doing it this way

on the other hand, nepal is one of the poorest nations on earth (god knows how they beat nz at the u19 world cup a few years back). we can hire a guide/porter. he'd set us back about $20US a day. this would provide employment and generally be more beneificial to the area. but having him there would somehow annooy me. it'd kill the adventure in way. having someone help carry my luggage. seems like a cop out that i'd expect from someone fat. i'm not like that.

what would you do?
With that kind of attitude you are better of staying in the NZ.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Imo nibbs should go, calculate how much they'd pay a guide and just give him the money, then set out on their own.

Nature can take care of them.