• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Explosion at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

tobe_ornot2

Banned
I imagine they get a lot of complaints from people who simply don't like the look of the Muslim family who just moved in next door too. You can't really incriminate someone without evidence, and you can't carry out intrusive surveillance on a person without any concrete reasons to do so
This is not the point and you know it. The complaint was made about the fact that he had actually spoken out in favour of suicide bombings and so on. The least that should have been done is that these complaints were investigated rather than outright ignored for half a decade. And you must know by now that every isngle British citizen is under surveillance, the entirety of our phone conversations, email messages, social media etc. It isn't even illegal anymore so even with all that in place, it becomes very suspicious as to how these people get away with it.

Because evidence. The guy was out of the country until last week. Came home, put a vest on and went out. So he was 'known' to them. So's half of Manchester, and 90% of them are innocent. We don't just lock people up because someone's dobbed them in without any evidence, we are not a totalitarian state.

They are. However drink + drugs + prostitutes does not equal destitution. In fact theres a strong ethos in all cultures that those with power and money are above the moral guidance of their believes. Coke and hookers are not cheap y'know
Of course not but I was going off of the report which states poverty coupled with the above mentioned factors. Having said that, there may well be middle aged drinkers who are likely to be radicalised, my point is the wrong set of people and values are being targeted by the media and police forces across the country. It is a mass waste of resources and an alienation of an otherwise law abiding segment of the population.

As for your first paragraph, I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or what but when someone is "known to the security forces" it means they have been targeted for full blown surveillance and investigation at some point, or were about to be targeted. We also know that security forces knew about his links to so called extremists or people on the extremist watch list, so why was he not more thoroughly investigated at the very least? There is no reason to make excuses for the security forces in this country. They owe the citizens a lot more instead of the usual narrative of "oh yeah, a terrorist attack occurred and yes, we knew about this guy but...." And then nothing happens. A few arrests are made immediately following the attacks and then eevrything gets brushed under the rug.

Did you know that khalid Masood (the Parliament attacker) was also "known to security forces"? Did you also know that in the immediate aftermath 21 people were arrested and do you know what happened which did not make a single headline? All 21 were released without charge. Now the pertinent question is, why were 21 innocent people arrested? Why were arrests not made earlier? Why was Khalid Masood, a man known for his violence not under surveillance? Why are the forces reacting (poorly may I add) rather than being proactive? These are questions that need to be asked by an independent oversight committee, sadly such a thing does not exist.

Burgey

Just saw the video of the crowd in Manchester busting into Don't Look Back In Anger after a minute's silence. Got something in my eye.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I read a news report in NZ that said the actual security programs our espionage facilities use require FBI logins. In other words, the US has better access to our own intel than we do. It's kinda messed up.
Haha well it's hardly like our espionage facilities would be up to bugger all if it wasn't for the US and UK driving everything.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On a serious note Manchester's a city I should love. Industrial heritage, love the red brick industrial Victorian architecture, football etc. Just can't take to the city from my visits there for whatever reason.

Uppercut

On a serious note Manchester's a city I should love. Industrial heritage, love the red brick industrial Victorian architecture, football etc. Just can't take to the city from my visits there for whatever reason.
Haha yeah a lot of Rangers fans don't seem to take to it.

As you say it has a load of very tangible good qualities. But ultimately it's always an emotional connection that takes it to the next level.

One feature that the world now knows about is that for some reason its homeless people are much friendlier and nicer than they are anywhere else.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Manchester is okay, would probably say London and Liverpool are my favourites, and yes there is obvious bias there. Just find Manchester more dispersed. Both cities have the same qualities though, really. Northerners are just more friendly than southerners. Or York/Edinburgh depending on what I'm looking for.

vogue

Have a bias for a lot of Northern cities, Manchester included though it is a little spread around, the architecture within a lot of them is amazing. Managed to like Liverpool too. I also have a bias for my own city ,it has an amazing history. Special mention too for Newcastle and Glasgow. And its true.Northerners are friendlier.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It rains there all the time.

I'm generally not a fan of UK cities though. Winchester or St Albans probably my favourites. Got a lot of time for York and Cambridge as well.

London is great in its own way, but it's also pretty exhausting, not to mention obscenely expensive.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha yeah a lot of Rangers fans don't seem to take to it.

As you say it has a load of very tangible good qualities. But ultimately it's always an emotional connection that takes it to the next level.

One feature that the world now knows about is that for some reason its homeless people are much friendlier and nicer than they are anywhere else.
It's not just because of the association with the UEFA Cup Final though, was actually a brilliant day up to that, we found a pub about 10 mins walk from the Eithad next to a huge grass area so sitting there before the game in the sunshine was great.

I've been a couple of other times and it's felt like a bit of a let down for whatever reason.

I love Belfast, reckon it's far superior to Dublin. Love Leeds as well.

cpr

Love Leeds as well.

Pretty sure, apart from Howe, we all agree that those words are a bannable offence.

As much as I love my home town, can understand why a casual visitor doesn't take to it. Looks pretty in parts, but a bit of a hodge podge of old and new that takes a bit to appreciate, and theres not really that much going on in the centre

Burgey

Leeds is good. York is better imo. Enjoyed Liverpool as well, fun town. Only transited through Manc on my way from Dublin to Leeds, so haven't really had any experience of it.