• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite of the big four grunge bands?

Favourite?

• Total voters

mr_mister

I love them all, but for me it goes Nirvana > Alice in Chains > Pearl Jam > Soundgarden

Though Pearl Jam has nearly been ruined for me by the hundreds of knockoff post-grunge bands deciding to all copy Eddie Vedder's singing style(and doing a terrible job of it) rather than Cobain, Cornell or Staley. Except Daniel Johns I guess went more for the Cobain vocal style.

But Staley and Cornell, they've remained fairly fresh to me.

Last edited:

Dendarii

I wasn't all that much into grunge when it happened. Britpop was going on at the same time, and that was more to my liking. However, over time my tastes have drifted towards heavier music, so I've become more appreciative of grunge.

When it comes to heavy music, I lean towards the metal side of things, so my rating of the big four is based largely on their metalness, so my ranking would be Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Nirvana.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
**** that takes me back, Breaking Benjamin were always a go to by me when I was studying at school. Diary of Jane an obvious fav, Dance with the Devil as well
Haha I think Diary of Jane is the only song of theirs I know

What a banger though

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Polyamorous is a banger from Breaking Benjamin.

Speaking of that era, was listening to the Three Days Grace debut album a few weeks back. What a cracker.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nirvana for me.

Probably a stylistic thing more than anything else. They were the most clearly punk and college rock influenced of the four. AiC & Soundgarden were obviously coming from a more metal kinda place & PJ from a classic American rock (Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynrd, Bue Oyster Cult) one.

Think it's pretty hard to compare overall though as Kurt & Co only made three studio albums (In Utero my fav) and the other groups all hand pretty significant careers post the initial grunge explosion.

Kudos to Vedder for still being with us though. Probably a good argument for staying off the opiates as all the other singers (plus Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots, who're often the fifth band mentioned in such discussions) all had a noted fondness for smack.

cpr

Nirvana for me.

Probably a stylistic thing more than anything else. They were the most clearly punk and college rock influenced of the four. AiC & Soundgarden were obviously coming from a more metal kinda place & PJ from a classic American rock (Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynrd, Bue Oyster Cult) one.

Think it's pretty hard to compare overall though as Kurt & Co only made three studio albums (In Utero my fav) and the other groups all hand pretty significant careers post the initial grunge explosion.

Kudos to Vedder for still being with us though. Probably a good argument for staying off the opiates as all the other singers (plus Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots, who're often the fifth band mentioned in such discussions) all had a noted fondness for smack.

Don't think I can add much description wise to that, just completely change the order of preference.

Pearl Jam go top for me, because of that hark back to the likes of Young et al.
Alice in Chains take second, Dirt is such a cracking album.
Nirvana not far behind
Soundgarden - I just could never find them that accessible. I've not disliked anything of theirs, just can't sit down and listen to an album

mr_mister

i can understand disliking pearl jam - eddie can be pretty cringe sometimes especially when he feels the need to get on his soapbox about ticket prices or music videos or something

but those first 3 albums are so good. Once, black, go, daughter, indifference, corduroy and state of love and trust are such awesome songs - as are unemployable and parachutes from their later S/T album

there's plenty of cheesey stuff though, especially on Riot Act >_>

Last edited:

Daemon

I've gone down a hole now thanks to this thread. Currently listening to Lanegan and Screaming Trees :wub:

Arachnodouche

Grunge is such a life-denying style of music. Direct precursor to the ****** nu-metal fad of the 90s too. AiC from this lot but even they are too woebegone most days.