• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

Scaly piscine

Heh, I switched the radio coverage off when they took the light and didn't think any more of it. Then I watch the highlights and see they came back on...

Friggin hell.

Twenty20 World Cup can only turn out to be glorious in comparison to this unreal shambles.

The Baconator

Well that was pretty ****ed up wasn't it? I'm glad I have a pretty twisted sense of humour and am not an Aus/SL fan, I'd be spewing otherwise. Fair play to the Aussies, but it's a pretty dire way to win a tournament. At least there wasn't a bowl-off.

Stefano

Congratulations to Australia! May I ask you a question: in the scoreboard there was a piece of stats like this: F/BLOCK 2/2. What does it mean?

SJS

Congrats Australia and Aussie fans.

This was the only world cup game not featuring iundia that I stayed awake the whole night to watch and found nothing in the match worth remembering.

Yes Gilchrist's batting was tremendous but other than that this was a very mediocre game of cricket just as the entire tournament has been.

I can fully understand, however, why an Australian fan would have loved every minute of it. I would have too if India had won.

JASON

Congratulations Australia...the better Team won the World Cup.

Gilchrist singlehandedly took the game away from Sri Lanka.

Sri Lankan skipper who has had a good World Cup, IMO lost the plot between over 10 -20 and kept bowling Dilhara Fernando repeatedly as he kept getting clobbered...bizarre Captaincy IMO.Also his failure to use Murali's full quota of 8 overs ...even more bizarre.

The game also became a farce after it continued to drizzle from around the 22nd over or so of the SL innings with the uncertainty in the batsmen's mind as to whether the umpires were going to call for the covers with a heavy drizzle continuing to affect the game.....It became even more farcical as they did not tell Sri Lankans what the target was after they returned from the rain interruprtion - and then had further 2 overs reduced with an even more improbable target.

All this aside , Australia was the better Team on the day...and this caps off their great World Cup this time and the unbeaten run to go with 3 consecutive World Cups..
Well deserved.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well done Australia on defeating the worst team to ever make a World Cup final. Well done to Sri Lanka for making the final (in somewhat Bradbury-like circumstances).

Salamuddin

Well done Australia on defeating the worst team to ever make a World Cup final. Well done to Sri Lanka for making the final (in somewhat Bradbury-like circumstances).
the worst team to make the World cup final ? Unless you're being sarcastic, that's way, way OTT.

JASON

The positives for SriLanka is that they have shown right thru this World Cup over 10 games they are the second best team and second only to the Aussies.

They need to build on this and consolidate this over the next 2 years, particularly in view of impending retirements of Sanath J and Marvan Atapattu and Chaminda Vaas.

I hope Sanath J will continue playing Tests till the Aussie series coming later this year, because SL will need him and Marvan if they are to beat the Aussies in their own backyard.:)

One hopes Murali has another World Cup in him as SL will need him desperately in 2011 in the Subcontinent.

LA ICE-E

The positives for SriLanka is that they have shown right thru this World Cup over 10 games they are the second best team and second only to the Aussies.

They need to build on this and consolidate this over the next 2 years, particularly in view of impending retirements of Sanath J and Marvan Atapattu and Chaminda Vaas.

I hope Sanath J will continue playing Tests till the Aussie series coming later this year, because SL will need him and Marvan if they are to beat the Aussies in their own backyard.:)

One hopes Murali has another World Cup in him as SL will need him desperately in 2011 in the Subcontinent.
is there any other top class spinners in SL?

Salamuddin

Sri Lanka need to find a couple of good seamers IMO......
Vaas is getting on in years and I've never really rated Dilhara.

SL I suspect will always have someone fairly decent in the spin dept, but yeah....they need a couple more reasonable quicks to give support to Malinga.

adharcric

Oh dear. Australia, Australia, Australia ... what can I say. The dominance of this side over the past decade is remarkable, ridiculous and impressive as hell.
Aussie fans are the luckiest ****s in the world. Gilchrist is a legend. McGrath? Well, he's an absolute genius with the ball. :notworthy

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

Wost team? how? Sri Lanka game more of a fight than india and pakistan in 03 and 99.

pup11

We are champions!!

Well done Aussies, what a superb performance and you guys just were too good for any team and you stamped your class through the tournament.

Gilly was unbelievable yesterday, he just destroyed the Lankans single-handedly and decided the fate of the game in the 1st innings itself. It was a perfect reply from Gilly to all his critics who said he was a spent force now and needed to bat in the lower-order.