• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General team of the 2010s thread

honestbharani

I think India have been more South Africa of the mid to late 90s or late 00s to early 10s than an Australia of 99-2007 or Windies of 75-93. I don't think they lack much in terms of test performances as much as they do in global tournaments in LO cricket. I mean, sure India have not won in SA and England but Australia only won in India in 2004 and Windies had their blips too. I feel it is the lack of ICC trophies that sets this side back from comparison to those great sides. At least it sets them back more than their test record IMO.

ankitj

T20Is win/loss in 2010s

TeamMatWonLostTiedNRW/L
Afghanistan785325002.120
India1066836021.888
South Africa895136111.416
Pakistan1226950211.380
Australia985440221.350
New Zealand964940431.225
England914739231.205
Netherlands693630121.200
Scotland572727121.000
Ireland833641150.878
Sri Lanka984451210.862
West Indies1014353140.811
Bangladesh792750020.540
Zimbabwe671650100.320

Pretty poor win/loss ratio for West Indies despite winning 2 world T20s.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

What is surprising is India languishing at 5th in T20 rankings. Not sure how points are calculated there, just stating something I observed.

FBU

The Finn selection looks daft until you start searching for alternatives. Tremlett, Bresnan and Roland-Jones all have brief spells of being decent, but they were really brief spells. Archer would be a shoe-in if he'd performed on tour this winter but he hasn't. Curran isn't a 3rd seamer. Standards in English cricket eh?
Only needed 3 seamers when Swann was in the team, playing 4 bowlers. Having Stokes would make it 5.

Shady Slim

Devilliers did nothing in WT20 where Kohli won MOS twice in 2014 and 2016 and was top scorer in both tournaments. Kohli has better cumulative average than Devilliers last decade and 8000 more runs. There is absolutely no doubt that he is cricketer of the decade unless you give 80% weightage to test cricket and then Steve Smith comes into discussion.
i feel if you’re gonna factor in performance in the world t20 that much then you should go post on clownweb dot net and not here tbh

for me it’s de villiers first, then smith then kohli, boat racing the rest of the field... i reckon doing a full top ten you’d get the most interesting discourse in the 4 to 10 range of who’s been the best cricketers of the decade tbh

honestbharani

AB is at a different level really. His stats are comparable with Smith in tests and Kohli in ODIs and he is doing it both. Surely, it places him easily on the top.

And I would go with Kohli second simply because he is a better test player than Smith is a LO player.

sunilz

i feel if you’re gonna factor in performance in the world t20 that much then you should go post on clownweb dot net and not here tbh

for me it’s de villiers first, then smith then kohli, boat racing the rest of the field... i reckon doing a full top ten you’d get the most interesting discourse in the 4 to 10 range of who’s been the best cricketers of the decade tbh
Easy there . Virat Kohli has already won WISDEN leading cricketer in the World thrice which takes him at par with Jack Hobbs, Warne , Viv Richards. None of Devilliers, Smith have won the award even once.

Steve smith has no right to be in contention for leading cricketer of the decade when he can't even make ODI and T20 team of the decade.

OverratedSanity

AB is at a different level really. His stats are comparable with Smith in tests and Kohli in ODIs and he is doing it both. Surely, it places him easily on the top.

And I would go with Kohli second simply because he is a better test player than Smith is a LO player.
Kohli's numbers are better than AB's in all formats at this point

Flem274*

123/5
kohli has won wisden and gets all the hype because he's an atg indian batsman and the media line up to give him and the rest of his side fellatio. smith is comfortably better in test cricket and before this australian tour i'd take kane too.

the world cup semi final commentary is the perfect example of how trash the cricketing media are when it comes to evaluating indian players (and how poor they are in general - we deserve better as fans). that's the sweetest top order collapse i've ever witnessed purely for the tears and the straw clutching.

sunilz

The only reason Kane gets rated so high is because of him being Kiwi . Guy averages 21 in SA , 26 in SL, 30 in ENG , 35 in IND . His overseas record is cmparable to Ashwin , Warner and Anderson who are highly criticised because they belong to BIG 3 nation. Williamson is comparable to Pujara. He simply doesn't belong to FAB 4 club . CW doesn't criticise Williamson that much because he is a kiwi

Still can't believe he won MOS in WC because he didn't criticise ICC after WC final farce.

Daemon

I too enjoy an analysis based on the following steps

1. Determine which player you want to bring down
2. Google their name
3. Click on the Cricinfo profile
4. View Career Summary
5. Pick the countries they have poor averages against
6. If step 5 has not yielded enough ammo, proceed to check which countries they have been poor in

Last edited:

honestbharani

Skimming through your fellow mod's posts should be an infractable offence, Sparky... :p

Only partially relevant to the theme of the thread, but was just going through some numbers and I must say I didn't realise quite how insane de Villiers' decade was. Test average of 57.48, only bettered by Smith and Sanga of those with over 3.5k runs. Averaged 59 against Australia and 54 in Asia. Then you get to his stupid ODI record; averaging 64.20 at a strike rate of 109.76. To put things into perspective, Kohli averages 60.79 at a strike rate of only 94.11. The next best average for a guy striking at over 100 is Bairstow at 47.68, and the best average for a guy striking better than de Villiers is Buttler at 40.88. In the 2011 World Cup he averaged 88 striking at 108, and in 2015 he averaged 96 at 144. People will say he didn't impact the knockouts but in 2011 he was runout by Faf in the quarters, and in 2015 he was 65* off 45 and arguably taking the game away from New Zealand before the rain arrived. Quite unlucky in the former and very unlucky in the latter.

Obviously he retired a couple of years before decade's end, and you could argue potentially avoided a decline in those numbers, but still think it's hard to argue he's not the best cricketer of the decade.

GoodAreasShane

With ABDV, I tend to think the whole sort of will he won't he saga with his retirement probably knocks some of the lustre off his achievements. Whether it should or not is a different question entirely, but it would almost certainly alter some people's perceptions.

Pretty much the John Farnham of cricket

Flem274*

123/5
The only reason Kane gets rated so high is because of him being Kiwi
noted highly rated team in cricket regardless of quality, new zealand

also samplesizelol, and i suspect some average adjusting on your part. he's tonned up in both sl and england and been on max two 2 test tours?

Flem274*

123/5
on abdv, i guess im just so meh on the retirement shenanigans that i don't think it affects him at all. not the first player to yo yo around or retire too early or far too late. that 3 off 20000000000000 balls to mentally defeat australia and vex ian chappell like no one ever has before is seared in my memory forever.

in terms of tourist performances in australia that abdv knock, kohlis run of tons, pujaras tour last time, sangas 192, cooks ashes and kanes 2015 are the best ive ever seen tourists bat there with abdv being next level because he wasn't scoring runs.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

I too enjoy an analysis based on the following steps

1. Determine which player you want to bring down
2. Google their name
3. Click on the Cricinfo profile
4. View Career Summary
5. Pick the countries they have poor averages against
6. If step 5 has not yielded enough ammo, proceed to check which countries they have been poor in
I did this for Bradman, it was pretty great.