• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General team of the 2010s thread

Daemon

Bumrah's played 4 full years of the decade and has stupid stats like an economy of 4.5 while bowling half his overs in the death. Malinga had a few years that were just not very good at all.

OverratedSanity

Dhoni doesn't really belong in that team, typical of them to chicken out of choosing between him and Buttler. He had 5 great years to start with but the second half has been mediocre to poor. Kick him out for Root.

OverratedSanity

Fmd, I can't believe Dhoni still hasn't retired. Look forward to him being rubbish in another chase in the 2023 wc semifinal to round out this depressing trilogy.

h_hurricane

Dhoni doesn't really belong in that team, typical of them to chicken out of choosing between him and Buttler. He had 5 great years to start with but the second half has been mediocre to poor. Kick him out for Root.
A classic case of stats not showing the real picture. In the last 5 years, this has been the Dhoni template. He would come to the crease with run a ball required, then push and prod his way to a 30 ball 10. Once the match is out of hand, he would hit a few boundaries to end with a 55 ball 50, inline with his overall career average and SR.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think Cricinfo has specified any cutoffs (e.g. 5 years/50 tests etc?).
Bit harsh, maybe, but is there any argument to have Sachin (2,951 runs in 38 tests/64 innings, average of 50.01) ahead of Rahane? This is despite a wretched 2012 (23.80) and 2013 (34.50) - but he was god-like in 2010 and pretty good in 2011 too.
Kohli has the number 4 spot and we know SRT won’t bat anywhere but 4.

wpdavid

I think Woakes or Bresnan should be the English third seamer based on volume of work. Finn did play an underrated role in the win in Kolkata in 2012 though. He's not a disastrous selection here. Funny that despite not being able to bat for the second half of the decade, the batting spots are arguably a bigger strength (in terms of depth at least) than the seam bowling ones here. Having to leave out one of Trott or Bell is quite rough. Maybe Stokes should bat eight and be the third seamer. :ph34r:
iirc Trott was only good for about 18 months and tailed off after the 2010-11 Ashes. Still our best number 3 for ages though. Bell's best performances weren't actually at number 3 were they? Perhaps he's actually competing with Pietersen as we're ignoring matches before 2010.

Going back to the 3rd seamer, marc has shown admirable restraint in not challenging my omission of Woakes from that discussion if the match is being played in England.

Last edited:

Pothas

Finn was pretty good for quite a lot of his career really, think I would tame him over Woakes, could always play Moeen as a second spinner as well. We all knew it already of course but it really brings home how few Test match players England have produced in the last few years but also how good that team at the start of the decade was.

Pothas

iirc Trott was only good for about 18 months and tailed off after the 2010-11 Ashes. Still our best number 3 for ages though. Bell's best performances weren't actually at number 3 were they? Perhaps he's actually competing with Pietersen as we're ignoring matches before 2010.

Going back to the 3rd seamer, marc has shown admirable restraint in not challenging my omission of Woakes from that discussion if the match is being played in England.
Yeah Bell had that brilliant Ashes in 2013 batting at 5 and Pietersen was in his playing the occasional amazing innings phase of his career.

wpdavid

Yeah Bell had that brilliant Ashes in 2013 batting at 5 and Pietersen was in his playing the occasional amazing innings phase of his career.
That was my line of thinking. Hand on heart, I'd still pick Pietersen over Bell even post-2009. I just think that Bell's 2013 Ashes means that he'd be unlucky to miss out; one of our most under-rated performances for some reason.

wpdavid

We all knew it already of course but it really brings home how few Test match players England have produced in the last few years but also how good that team at the start of the decade was.
It really was. We've read a lot of comments about how poor Australia were, but that doesn't fully explain three innings victories in a single series. It would be interesting to know how many innings defeats Australia suffered at home since then or even during their dog days in the 1980s. I'd guess you could count them on the fingers of one hand. There's a decent book to be written about why that side imploded so spectacularly from January 2012.

honestbharani

Egos are never great for team building. And when the guy who is supposed to manage the egos himself has a huge one, it becomes even more difficult.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Only partially relevant to the theme of the thread, but was just going through some numbers and I must say I didn't realise quite how insane de Villiers' decade was. Test average of 57.48, only bettered by Smith and Sanga of those with over 3.5k runs. Averaged 59 against Australia and 54 in Asia. Then you get to his stupid ODI record; averaging 64.20 at a strike rate of 109.76. To put things into perspective, Kohli averages 60.79 at a strike rate of only 94.11. The next best average for a guy striking at over 100 is Bairstow at 47.68, and the best average for a guy striking better than de Villiers is Buttler at 40.88. In the 2011 World Cup he averaged 88 striking at 108, and in 2015 he averaged 96 at 144. People will say he didn't impact the knockouts but in 2011 he was runout by Faf in the quarters, and in 2015 he was 65* off 45 and arguably taking the game away from New Zealand before the rain arrived. Quite unlucky in the former and very unlucky in the latter.

Obviously he retired a couple of years before decade's end, and you could argue potentially avoided a decline in those numbers, but still think it's hard to argue he's not the best cricketer of the decade.

sunilz

Devilliers did nothing in WT20 where Kohli won MOS twice in 2014 and 2016 and was top scorer in both tournaments. Kohli has better cumulative average than Devilliers last decade and 8000 more runs. There is absolutely no doubt that he is cricketer of the decade unless you give 80% weightage to test cricket and then Steve Smith comes into discussion.

vcs

Yeah absolutely no doubt about AB's class but he started part-timing it some time around early 2016. No way you can put him ahead of Kohli for this decade.

vcs

Kohli has been the best batsman of the decade (Smith in Tests) and best bowler of the decade is a close call between Anderson, Broad and Ashwin for me. I would go with Jimmy if pushed to choose one.

ankitj

Test win/loss in 2010s

TeamMatWonLostTiedDrawW/L
India10756290221.931
South Africa9045250201.800
Australia11257380171.500
England12657460231.239
New Zealand8332310201.032
Afghanistan422001.000
Pakistan8333370130.891
Sri Lanka9531400240.775
West Indies8322430180.511
Bangladesh5610360100.277
Zimbabwe24419010.210
Ireland303000.000

ODI win/loss in 2010s

TeamMatWonLostTiedNRW/L
India24915779671.987
South Africa18811468151.676
Australia216125791111.582
England21812382491.500
New Zealand19298822101.195
Pakistan217104106250.981
Afghanistan1235762130.919
Ireland1125055250.909
Sri Lanka2561131272140.889
Scotland753239130.820
Bangladesh1627087050.804
West Indies19669114580.605
Zimbabwe15944111220.396

Last edited:

stephen

It's pretty clear that India's been the best cross format side of the last decade. One world cup, away series win against Australia and regularly topping the ratings. Best win/ loss ratio in probably all formats.

Lacking the invincibility of the great Australian or West Indian teams, India have looked vulnerable or even poor at times and yet it's pretty clear that they've been the team to beat over the last decade.

One reason they haven't felt as dominant is the diversification of cricket in the last two decades. Their biggest challenges were teams who are strong in conditions alien to India - Australia, England and South Africa, so unlike the dominant Aus/WI sides, India haven't quite had the same aura about them. Still, they've earned a cabinet three quarters full of trophies and claim to some huge series wins this decade.

And Kohli, much as I dislike him, has been promoting test cricket as the pinnacle of the game, which is admirable in this era of t20 cricket. And while India play tests they will continue to be popular.