• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guidelines for BBC commentators

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
A note to all BBC commentators active in Germany (in case they had forgotten from four years ago):

1 -Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), the commentator must mention England.

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.

3 - The commentator shall refer to the Falkland Isles in passing at some point in the match if England play Argentina.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst will be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned approximately 20 times.

6 - 1966 will be mentioned approximately 10 times a match, or only on 4 or 5 occasions for matches not involving England.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the commentator will mention Bobby Moore. And 1966.

8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being arrogant by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts and their general footballing ability.

9 - Should England play Germany, mentions of Winston Churchill, Dambusters, The Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory. And 1966.

10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer to England as "we" and "us".

11 - We must ensure that nationalistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of course, the Germans are arrogant. The Spanish are bottlers, The Ivory Coast are fast but bad at defending, The Angolans are disorganised, The Argentinians are cheats and the French are only good because their best players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the players that are playing in England. (eg Holland v Argentina should be referred to as Van Nistelrooy v Crespo).

13 - The mythical "bulldog spirit" phrase should be used as often as possible.

14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.

16 - If in doubt, mention 1966.

17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadiums in Germany but emphasise that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since 1966.

18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

20 - When England bow out after the first stage, we must emphasise that it is a massive blow to football and a serious loss to the World Cup.

:laugh:

cpr

I really cant watch football on BBC anymore, John Motson is just a rambling old buffoon. Nothing he says has any relevence to the match at hand, and he spends about 20 minutes debating (to himself) the merits of the most blatent incident, before finally getting it wrong

Nothing makes me laugh more than after 5 replays of the clearest own goal known to man, motson goes 'I... I think it hit the defender did it?? Yes, that may well go down as an own goal'

Oh and rules for the press (or at least the Sun)

England v Germany matches shall be greated with pictures of Bobby Moore holding the world cup, Rudi Vollers perm and Dresden being bombed.
England v Argentina shall have 18 million references to the Falklands and hidden Nazi leaders
England v Spain will be billed as the Armarda rematch, with talk how we kicked their over 400 years ago
England v France shall have, well, as much abuse as you can get away with. Which is alot, as its France.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Anything's better than Andy Gray.

Rumours were afoot that Xpression FM would run their own commentary package. Not sure how that's developing, but it's sure to be a laugh. And I can't be any worse than Motson.

Pedro Delgado

They are awful aren't they, Motty and Lawro the worst for me. Our Norwegian friends can be quite excitable too though..

"Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

:laugh: Genius.

cpr

Yeah, but we got our revenge

Interviewer; "Do you have a message for the people of Norway?"
Gazza "Yeah, f**k off!"

like the man himself, simple but effective :)

Barney Rubble

Neil Pickup said:
Anything's better than Andy Gray.

Rumours were afoot that Xpression FM would run their own commentary package. Not sure how that's developing, but it's sure to be a laugh. And I can't be any worse than Motson.
I look forward to that. A lot. :p

Scaly piscine

To me Motson (and most other football commentators) exemplify how dense the average football fan is, anyone with any sort of brain power can see he's a complete muppet but he remains popular. Mind the young commentator competitions on BBC are even more cringeworthy than Motson.

TT Boy

Anyone know ITV’s and BBC’s team for Germany?

I know we are going to get the usual dire faces (Motson, Pleat et cetera) but sometimes they have a few decent pundits (Martin O’Neill et cetera) accompanying them.

Last edited:

cpr

From the BBC website:

Match of the Day presenter and former England captain Gary Lineker will host coverage live from Germany accompanied by an A-list of pundits.

Regular studio analyst Alan Hansen will be joined by former England internationals Alan Shearer, Ian Wright and Lee Dixon.

World Cup winners Leonardo (victorious with Brazil in 1994) and Marcel Desailly (France in 1998) join the team, which also features Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Gordon Strachan among others.

John Motson and Jonathan Pearce lead the BBC's commentary team while Ray Stubbs and Adrian Chiles will front the highlights shows.

From the Guardian:

ITV Sport has signed up failed England manager candidates Sam Allardyce and Alan Curbishley, along with Christian O'Connell, for its World Cup coverage next month.

Allardyce, Curbishley and Manchester City's Stuart Pearce will form part of ITV's commentating team for the tournament in Germany, which runs from June 9 to July 9.

Virgin Radio breakfast host O'Connell will present the ITV4 World Cup spin-off show, World Cuppa, taking a light-hearted look at the event. He will be joined on World Cuppa by co-presenters Natalie Pinkham, Steve Bunce and Mark Chapman.

In addition to ITV Sport presenters Steve Rider, Jim Rosenthal and Gabby Logan, the broadcaster's Germany 2006 team will feature regular football commentators Clive Tyldesley, Peter Drury and Jon Champion, and pundits Ally McCoist, Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle, Terry Venables and David Pleat.

ITV has also hired Ruud Gullit, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Jay-Jay Okocha, Gareth Southgate and Jim Beglin for the World Cup.

Matt Smith will host a regular highlights programme, while Gabriel Clark is to report from the England base in Baden Baden and Ned Boulting will be on the road filing stories from other World Cup locations around Germany.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
So define the average football fan then.
The one that insists that any bad newspaper article against the vegetable is purely to destabilise 'the lads' and ruin their chances of winning the World Cup. People who boo Crouch. People who think their rubbish midtable or worse side is 'a big club' and say their side should just go out and buy Kluivert and one or two other players of the like and that'll make them World beaters. People who think footballers' wages aren't exorbitant. People who buy into the hype and frequently throw the term 'great' around to describe an average player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And how many of these so-called criteria does one have to meet to be deemed an average football supporter by you then?

cpr

Scaly piscine said:
The one that insists that any bad newspaper article against the vegetable is purely to destabilise 'the lads' and ruin their chances of winning the World Cup. People who boo Crouch. People who think their rubbish midtable or worse side is 'a big club' and say their side should just go out and buy Kluivert and one or two other players of the like and that'll make them World beaters. People who think footballers' wages aren't exorbitant. People who buy into the hype and frequently throw the term 'great' around to describe an average player.

Turd. I've just found myself pretty much agreeing with a Scaly Piscine post.

I've just changed my opinions on euthanasia. Would someone be so kind as to pass me a pillow?

Pedro Delgado

Scaly piscine said:
You're not describing any of the "average" football fans that I know, with that statement.