• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland Fans Society

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Re flem's post. I said this last time it came up and I'm not sure if it was resolved but EU law as I understand means we cannot treat Irish players as overseas players.

However Brumby did point out that we have failed to allow players such as Ryan Harris despite them holding a British passport so it could be that there is a way round it that I am unaware of.
Yeah - same applies for any players that come from within the EU.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
So how do we get around the overseas players with British passports malarkey
Isn't the idea that if they want to play on their British passport they are treated as a local player, and thus forfeit the right to be called up for national duty by Australia?

Dan

Global Moderator
Yeah, up until recently CA wouldn't recognise them as locals for the Sheffield Shield, and refused to recognise people with Australian passports as overseas players. So Harris would basically have forfeited his Australian domestic career to play in England.

Robson did it in reverse.

brockley

If Ireland got test status and couldn't play county cricket,they would benefit from the 10 million zimbos,bangladesh and everyone else gets,which is an improvment on the 500,000 they get now.

Those Irish players could play in the local Irish 3/4 sided comp,which does not have first class staus,and they would be on much higher contracts that they are on now.But i don't see the ECB stopping Irish from playing in county cricket even if they have test status,thats taking 10/15 players out of the first class set up,and what would Middlesex do they have a stream of Irish on their books.

cpr

Well at the moment the Irish players being developed in the English County system have the ability to apply for a citizenship and play for England. the ECB won't be happy with teams developing a string of players for another test nation at the demise of potential England players.

I don't know about the whole finances behind Test/associate status, but didnt Ireland get $1.5m towards their goal of a First Class domestic competition by 2020

brockley

Could be not sure,i know Ireland have 3 team comp,with Munster likely to be a 4th side in the future.

Probably as competitive as the Logan cup or the Bangladesh comp,Afghanistan have a 4 day comp too.

Goughy

If Ireland got test status and couldn't play county cricket,they would benefit from the 10 million zimbos,bangladesh and everyone else gets,which is an improvment on the 500,000 they get now.

Those Irish players could play in the local Irish 3/4 sided comp,which does not have first class staus,and they would be on much higher contracts that they are on now.But i don't see the ECB stopping Irish from playing in county cricket even if they have test status,thats taking 10/15 players out of the first class set up,and what would Middlesex do they have a stream of Irish on their books.
The problem with the Irish and CC is that they are not guaranteed to be released from their County to play for Ireland. A county career can last 10 years or more. It puts players in a difficult position as Test selection is only for a few and isnt guaranteed. Even if the Irish players are released, will counties want to employ Irish players who will be away for x Tests and y ODIs through the English summer? The irony of Irish Test cricket could be there are fewer Irish cricketer playing regular high standard cricket.

I am still in favour of Irish Test cricket but there are a lot of possible problems to be addressed. It isnt all unicorns and rainbows.

brockley

Niall O'brien already found that out with Nortnants who we're not keen on O'brien playing for Ireland,at least leceister picked him so good for them,Northants loss.

SkyBlue

I hope they become a full-member soon and eventually gain test status.They've performed better in world cups than Bangladesh.Some very good young talent are coming through and it would suck to see most of not all of them playing for England in the future.Wonder if England already have one eye on the likes of Paul Stirling.
This game needs more teams and i think Ireland has the potential to develop into a very decent side.I really miss the 90s Zimbabwe side tbh.

zorax

likes this
Genuine chance for them to make the Quart Finals, and hopefully the Semis if they get paired with anyone who isn't NZ/Aus/India

Flem274*

123/5
They can beat India if they chase. They're like a bit of a mini-India with their reliance on batting and spin bowling atm but India's bowling is pretty **** and Ireland can use their bats.

zorax

likes this
I think Ashwin and Jadeja might be too good for them tho. And India is pretty epic in the field.

zorax

likes this
We do have Raina, Rohit, Jadeja, Kohli, Rahane and a pretty decent slip fielder in Ashwin. Dhawan, Rayudu and Binny aren't slouches either. Our quicks may not be in the league of Boult/Anderson in the field, but India's a really really good fielding side. And that can count for a lot in defending a score.

Daemon

Yeah other than slip catching I don't think India's a bad fielding side. Obviously not the best in the world as the meme would have you believe but they're pretty good compared to the Indian sides of the past.

Viscount Tom

we do have raina, rohit, jadeja, kohli, rahane and a pretty decent slip fielder in ashwin. Dhawan, rayudu and binny aren't slouches either. Our quicks may not be in the league of boult/anderson in the field, but india's a really really good fielding side. And that can count for a lot in defending a score.
awta

Niall

The problem with the Irish and CC is that they are not guaranteed to be released from their County to play for Ireland. A county career can last 10 years or more. It puts players in a difficult position as Test selection is only for a few and isnt guaranteed. Even if the Irish players are released, will counties want to employ Irish players who will be away for x Tests and y ODIs through the English summer? The irony of Irish Test cricket could be there are fewer Irish cricketer playing regular high standard cricket.

I am still in favour of Irish Test cricket but there are a lot of possible problems to be addressed. It isnt all unicorns and rainbows.

Lets not forget one of the reasons Rankin retired from Ireland because Warwickshire were moaning he was away to often playing for Ireland and wasn't fresh when he came back.