• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Income Tax robbery?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why should we pay to the government? Should it not run it's own profitable ventures funding the various projects instead of extracting taxes and then misusing them?

vcs

While we're at it, why don't we build our own roads, hire our personal safety guards etc. etc. Wouldn't it be nice if you called up 911 reporting a fire or burglary and they asked you to provide your insurance number before they can do anything?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why should we pay to the government? Should it not run it's own profitable ventures funding the various projects instead of extracting taxes and then misusing them?
Haha, the tax is theft point aside, this is a really awful suggestion. Yeah, let's allow an institution with a monopoly on force to make "making money" one of its core objectives. What could possibly go wrong?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
While we're at it, why don't we build our own roads, hire our personal safety guards etc. etc. Wouldn't it be nice if you called up 911 reporting a fire or burglary and they asked you to provide your insurance number before they can do anything?
While your points are flawed anyway, Pratters has specifically only referred to Income Tax. America didn't have income tax until I think 1913. Not the same as saying there should be no tax at all.

And even if we do go down the road of all tax, justifying why you think they are necessary doesn't then mean it's not theft. But Cribbage has explained all this in the thread I linked to so I'll just let you go read that (and others in that thread such as Pothas and Faiip have gone down the road of, maybe it is or isn't but we still need them).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, the tax is theft point aside, this is a really awful suggestion. Yeah, let's allow an institution with a monopoly on force to make "making money" one of its core objectives. What could possibly go wrong?
It should run like a normal business, even competing with other companies . We have a government airline and multiple private airlines in India for instance. The government airline runs in losses..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The idea of the state actively acting in direct competition to private service providers is just one of the most backward and logically poor ideas imaginable for me. I'm not meaning to attack you personally for this, it's just a fundamentally dreadful notion.

Think about it. If you're playing a game and your opponent is the one setting the rules (and responsible for changing the rules and capable of making up new rules as the game progresses), the game would be manifestly and inherently unfair.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah it is a lot of the times. In India we have Reliance Jio backed by ruling government though run by a private a player which is trying to get Vodafone out of our country.

On the other end we have inefficiently run government entities which can't compete with private players like in the airlines sector.

I guess privatisation wherever and slowly is the best recourse.

Spark

Global Moderator
It should run like a normal business, even competing with other companies . We have a government airline and multiple private airlines in India for instance. The government airline runs in losses..
Go have a look at what happens when large businesses have an effective monopoly on the use of coercive force against their competitors and tell me again that you think this is a good idea.