• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LGBT Thread

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ok, this might be interesting. I'm creating this thread because Sir Alex's thread was immediately swamped by the ongoing issues some members have with him, and he has with them, which led the mod team to close it. I've had a brief exchange with the mods and flagged with them that I thought it a pity that a potentially serious topic of conversation be cut off so swiftly, and have their agreement to create a new thread on a similar vein - without the focus on whether or not we like Sir Alex.

In case people are wondering, given I've made this thread, I'm neither L, G, B or T, but really don't want CW to be a place where anyone in any of those categories feels unwelcome, or that they can't discuss what is probably a significant factor in their life. I want to make it now so anyone in that category doesn't take the wrong impression from the demise of the other thread.

So, here it is for whatever its worth to anyone. Couple of caveats - obviously James' standards about what is acceptable content in discussion on his forum, with regards to posts of a sexual nature, need to be respected. Second, if you want to carry on a feud with other members, maybe do it in another thread where we aren't talking about what for some is potentially a difficult issue.

[/sanctimonious]

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, absolutely. Thankfully, in the US at least (and I'm sure in other westernc ountries/Australia), there are a lot of organizations that help people deal with their sexuality and come out. There are also lots of gay pride events and other things that allow kids to see people out in the open so they can feel comfortable with themselves - instead of the you're going to hell type stuff that they get from home (especially in the mid west/south) that drives many kids close to suicide.

ripper868

Not Gay, have some gay and lesbian firends, have no problem with it. All for it being supported. Am anti the "look at me I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo gay" brigade though.

James90

Not Gay, have some gay and lesbian firends, have no problem with it. All for it being supported. Am anti the "look at me I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo gay" brigade though.
Why is that? I personally don't see a problem with someone celebrating their sexuality, especially if their preference is likely to result in them being shunned by certain parts of society.

T usually stands for transgender (at least around here), which includes transsexual people, but includes others as well, like transvestites.
Yeah, in Australia the T definitely stands for transgender.

Goughy

Yes, absolutely. Thankfully, in the US at least (and I'm sure in other westernc ountries/Australia), there are a lot of organizations that help people deal with their sexuality and come out. There are also lots of gay pride events and other things that allow kids to see people out in the open so they can feel comfortable with themselves - instead of the you're going to hell type stuff that they get from home (especially in the mid west/south) that drives many kids close to suicide.
A friend of mine was running to be on the board of his Union and all the candidates had to officially answer a questionaire and be interviewed by the LGBT association (the only group to ask this) to outline his policies and attitudes on all areas. They were as powerful as they were vocal.

I thought they must be a huge group of people as candidates were fawning over them for their endorsement within an organisation of well over 10 000 people. Turned out the LGBT association that was so influential had 20 or so members.

It was very interesting to see as I had no idea that minority groups like this have wield such a disproportionate amount of power.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

Great idea. The mistreatment of homosexuals and bisexuals around the world is something that I feel really strongly about. I'm hetrosexual myself, but I know a few gay people and I'm really pleased for them that they live in a place where they can come out and feel accepted and not live in fear of being abused and not-tolerated.

ripper868

Why is that? I personally don't see a problem with someone celebrating their sexuality, especially if their preference is likely to result in them being shunned by certain parts of society.

Yeah, in Australia the T definitely stands for transgender.
Generally because I don't see a need for it. Sort of understand it but i don't get how being gay means you need to talk with a lisp all of a sudden once you come out (Anthony Callea for example)

I can see how it could be seen as a "celebration" of being gay but yeah, don't think it's neccessary, and several of my friends agree, both gay and straight.

PhoenixFire

Generally because I don't see a need for it. Sort of understand it but i don't get how being gay means you need to talk with a lisp all of a sudden once you come out (Anthony Callea for example)

I can see how it could be seen as a "celebration" of being gay but yeah, don't think it's neccessary, and several of my friends agree, both gay and straight.
I don't really find it that annoying, but I can certainly see your POV, can potentially be rather irritating.

Burgey

Genuinely not heard of the acronym before. Thought it was another "oooh, look at this cool new software/ program/ game or something thread that I'd not heard of.

It's interesting how little an issue homosexuality is here now, aside from when gay marriage is raised.

Think I've said it before, but Mardi Gras here hardly raises an eyebrow now - I can remember when the police were ordered to go in an arrest those who marched.

I think the fact it's not really an issue here anymore is something to be proud of, personally.

Last edited:

Marcuss

Never heard of the acronym before nor am I a member. First thought was "Britain's Got Talent" Then I saw it was "GBT" :laugh:

Anyway, thread lacks stfu_ben

Edit : **** off Corrin you s.o.s :ph34r:

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

Thats like saying STFU_ben isn't discriminatory because he tolerates LGBT's outside of 'his world' [/bait]

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whether you're baiting or not, it's a serious issue that comes up. It's the same reason why 'white pride' parades are seen a discriminatory while the Irish pride parades are not.

When you are a smaller community within a larger one, and you face discrimination, it helps you overall to band together in these type of clubs, parades, etc, not necessarily or yourself, but for all the people who are being persecuted. You won't believe how many kids come up in college at those clubs, that are from Kansas or Kentucky and say how watching things like that on TV kept them from total isolation and even suicide. It's a big deal to people. I would encourage you to go to one of those meetings and sit and listen for a while.

As for 'gay pride' not making any sense because there is no such thing as 'straight pride' - that's factually wrong. 90% of normal societal structures, mores and traditions are about proving your manhood or otherwise celebrating ones sexuality (straight of course). Everything from a casual night out between guys/girls, to actual religious or cultural traditions that are embedded in society.

Last edited: