• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking ahead to Season XIV

superkingdave

Anyway another option is to get rid of Colts and go back to 4 teams...

Some stats just discovered :)

V Blue, 1187runs@ 26.98, 101 wickets @ 22.54
V Red, 1126 runs @ 29.63, 88 wickets @ 24.57
V Green, 948 runs @ 23.14, 100wickets @ 24.53
V Colts, 602runs@19.42, 41wickets@29.32

Also have crapper averages at the FQ as well.

Get rid i say. ;)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I reckon I'd have a higher average vs. Colts than anyone else, just seem to remember making tons against them a lot. Though I didn't make either of my first 2 in season 10 against them (1 Green, 1 Red) and I did make my double last season vs. Red so who knows.

Dav, you're the one with all the time, do mine for me.

superkingdave

I reckon I'd have a higher average vs. Colts than anyone else, just seem to remember making tons against them a lot. Though I didn't make either of my first 2 in season 10 against them (1 Green, 1 Red) and I did make my double last season vs. Red so who knows.

Haha, nah finishing work next wednesday so have to sort a few things out before i leave then im off to Perth. Maybe if i get a piss easy job over there..

chaminda_00

Jeez. It isn't that hard. Tell each of the 5 teams to drop their 3 worst/least favourite players into a pot.

That will give 5 teams of 16 and 1 team of 15.

Sure the new team will get beaten most games, but isn't that real for any new franchise in a decent league? Over time, that 6th team will hopefully grow; some of those players dropped from the over 5 teams will be young'uns who will improve over time.

Voila. How is this a problem?

Blacks will still beat the rest even with 9 players when their internationals are away. Piece of piss.
This would be my suggestion as well. Then add in some average grade players from Australia (or just use to pool of CW grade players) as fringe players incase sides are lacking numbers due to injuries/suspensions/internations. But these players would only be on short term contracts for the period the first team players are out for.

I personally think there is way too many players that don't get enough game time. Squads of 17 to 19 are too big for mine. There are players in squads who unless something really goes wrong aren't even real options for the starting XI.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Not sure how accurate this post is, as I've got you out very cheaply on many occasions...:p

Goughy

Ive been an advocate for a 6th CW team for a long time now.

This is just my 2 cents, as I know others disagree heavily.

My order of preference.

1) 6 CW Teams with no additions
2) 6 CW Teams like the CC with an overseas pro or 2 to help balance and keep number levels up
3) 6 CW Teams with made-up fill-ins from CW grade cricket to fill shortages
4) 5 CW Teams and an invitational 'A' team or International team (eg Eng A playing in WI FC comp, Zim and Namibia in SA)
5) 5 CW Teams and a Masters XI
6) 5 CW Teams and CW Legends XI

Mister Wright

Ive been an advocate for a 6th CW team for a long time now.

This is just my 2 cents, as I know others disagree heavily.

My order of preference.

1) 6 CW Teams like the CC with an overseas pro or 2 to help balance and keep number levels up
2) 6 CW Teams with made-up fill-ins from CW grade cricket to fill shortages
3) 5 CW Teams and an invitational 'A' team or International team (eg Eng A playing in WI FC comp, Zim and Namibia in SA)
4) 5 CW Teams and a Masters XI
5) 5 CW Teams and CW Legends XI
I fail to see how a 6th team would work, considering only about 4 of the current rookies on offer will be deemed as active come season's end.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I fail to see how a 6th team would work, considering only about 4 of the current rookies on offer will be deemed as active come season's end.
Yeah, exactly. Either we shut down the international season entirely during the dev league season, or Black won't be allowed to have all their internationals, or we import players, which we tried a couple of years ago. Was a grand failure.

Mister Wright

I think, as long as we have grade cricket up-and-running fully, with 5 competitive teams, the next season will be a success.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If you drop 3 players off our squad (assuming one isn't Goughy) and keep tours during the season in CWLand I think we'd probably be able to handle it. If Goughy went to be a senior player then I don't think we'd struggle at all.

OD Squad: Chaulk, Stedman, Cloete, Gough, Pickup
Test Squad: Pickup, Dav, Borcich (pending), Cloete, possibly me but I'd get released for games as I'd be 12th man.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't really mind too much how we do it, I enjoy the games against Masters much less than all others but it is better than the season before where there were a few rounds when your side didn't play.

chaminda_00

Yeah, exactly. Either we shut down the international season entirely during the dev league season, or Black won't be allowed to have all their internationals, or we import players, which we tried a couple of years ago. Was a grand failure.
Even if you take the cricsim rookies out of it. There is very few non cricsim rookies that hang around after their rookie season or even past 2-3 seasons. Grade cricket will help as they will get games. But even when Grade cricket was around it didn't increase the level of rookies that stayed in game.

Unless there is realistic chance for them to get gametime the situation wont improve IMO. There is reason why the largest percentage of current players are early sign ups, Season 8 rookies or Colts rookies. All these three generation of players had a realistic chance of getting gametime early in their careers.

We had five teams for 4-5 seasons and unless we take a punt. We are going to have five teams for another 3-4 seasons as there not going to an overall increase in player pool unless we get a sixth team. With the current format we will always lose as many as we gain.

chaminda_00

If you drop 3 players off our squad (assuming one isn't Goughy) and keep tours during the season in CWLand I think we'd probably be able to handle it. If Goughy went to be a senior player then I don't think we'd struggle at all.

OD Squad: Chaulk, Stedman, Cloete, Gough, Pickup
Test Squad: Pickup, Dav, Borcich (pending), Cloete, possibly me but I'd get released for games as I'd be 12th man.
There is the potential for the ODI issue to be worse then that, as the last four ODIs spots are wide open and with a half decent start to season the likes of yourself, Gelman, Patrick and Richards could all be in the ODI squad. Camps and Halsey positions are up for graps, as are Scott and Rose spots. In the past CWBCC hasn't always released players from ODI squads so things could be worse.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah I suppose that's true, but Tharmi has a serious point about activity levels. How many rookies have come and stayed in the time since I started? Not too many. It should be addressed.