• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not Enough Pace for this Level

Cevno

Yeah, 474/8d. Joke firmly on him.
Well according to his own ratings,just 3 Bangladesh standard bowlers got them there.And one of them who was supposed to be even worse took a 5fer.................

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBF Ishant & harby might have had some small contribution to that scoreline...
Given that Praveen got neither opener, Pietersen got an unbeaten double century, Trott got 70 and Bell 45, I think I'll stand by my original call that he won't really trouble our batsmen too much.

vcs

Not disputing that their performance yesterday was of Bangladesh-standard. It was disappointing that the 100-Test man and the man in (supposedly) great form with 100+ Test wickets to his name could not put in a decent supporting performance to Praveen, even if they are individually incapable of running through a lineup in conditions that didn't help them. So it was at Centurion, last year. It can happen from time to time as bowling is certainly India's weaker suit, but that doesn't mean that's their level. They have got plenty of good results in recent times without Zaheer (SL and NZ last year, and WI this year), but it all gets forgotten every time they have a shocker.

Bun

Banned
Given that Praveen got neither opener, Pietersen got an unbeaten double century, Trott got 70 and Bell 45, I think I'll stand by my original call that he won't really trouble our batsmen too much.
Never knew a bowler had to take a 10fer in an innings with no batsman scoring over 20 to say he bowled well

Bun

Banned
Not disputing that their performance yesterday was of Bangladesh-standard. It was disappointing that the 100-Test man and the man in (supposedly) great form with 100+ Test wickets to his name could not put in a decent supporting performance to Praveen, even if they are individually incapable of running through a lineup in conditions that didn't help them. So it was at Centurion, last year. It can happen from time to time as bowling is certainly India's weaker suit, but that doesn't mean that's their level. They have got plenty of good results in recent times without Zaheer (SL and NZ last year, and WI this year), but it all gets forgotten every time they have a shocker.
Without any element of doubt, we bowled well below par. Fully agree with that.
But it was the direst of performances from us. Lord's has been a notoriously flat wicket for quite some time now.

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Dan

Global Moderator
Never knew a bowler had to take a 10fer in an innings with no batsman scoring over 20 to say he bowled well
TBF, the quality of batsmen dismissed doesn't make it the greatest 5fer ever.

He did bowl very well though, just needs to find the right length when its hooping around corners to catch the edge.

Bun

Banned

He did bowl very well though, just needs to find the right length when its hooping around corners to catch the edge.
Noone here said it's the best 5fer in the history of the game.

for a 24 yr old playing only his 4th test match, first in england, and with the main spearhead out early and rest of the bowlers bowling like absolute ****s, he has manfully toiled for his returns. FFS he had catches dropped, short, beat batsmen outside edge like nobody/s business... delivered a spinner's workload... if any one deserved a fifer, it was him yesterday,

Daemon

The openers went relatively cheaply anyways. As for the high scorers, they batted well and played PK well. Doesn't mean he didn't bowl well or didn't trouble them at all. He had a catch dropped, beat the bat on numerous occasions and had very little support from the other end, (Dhoni was our 2nd best seamer yesterday ffs). If the pressure was on from the other end then maybe Pieterson and co. wouldn't have got as far. No fault of Praveen's at all, however, if you're saying that we failed as a bowling unit then I will tend to agree.

Last edited:

centurymaker

He dismissed Trott, Bell, Morgan, Prior, and Broad - no bunnies in that lot.
(and england batsmen are supposed to be better against bowlers like him)

plus he bowled one third of the overs!! (this should've been useless harbhajan's quota but praveen had to bowl his overs too)
I just hope he's alright after this gruelling workload that he had.

Bun

Banned

plus he bowled one third of the overs!! (this should've been useless harbhajan's quota but praveen had to bowl his overs too)
he,s a fighter, hails from a wrestlers background. He'll do well :cool:

Dan

Global Moderator

My bad, I think I must have misread something along the line. Trott, Prior, Bell and Morgan are 4 good wickets to get.

On a semi-related note, Broad is s***.