• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Cricket Web XI in Pakistan

Mr Mxyzptlk

Test squad to be announced later tonight. 15-man touring party.
The ODI squad is not decided upon as yet, and that will be announced in the coming days. That will be a 16-man squad.

Mr Mxyzptlk

No surprises in CW XI Test squad
But Fitzsimmons excluded from 15

Simon Fitzsimmons can count himself unlucky to miss out, but there are no surprising inclusions in the 15-man squad to tour Pakistan. The tour begins on Saturday, with the players from Australia arriving in Campsfield tonight. They will then fly to Pakistan tomorrow. Players from England, USA and the Caribbean will meet the team in Pakistan on Friday.

Unsurprisingly, Brendon Goff has been retained as captain after a good showing in the Test and ODI series against South Africa. His deputy is once again Neil Pickup - the leading legspinner - who will look to cast aside his poor form with Essex and return to the champion bowling form that saw him take a record 31 wickets in South Africa last month.

Doing the glovework will be Håkon Mørk and Thamba Mamesh is entrusted with the role of backup wicketkeeper. Both will look to continue their dominance at the top of the order, as they look to firmly establish themselves as a world-class partnership. Under pressure to perform are the middle order duo of David Kearsley and Rob "Delacruz" Dauth. The former has had mixed fortunes thus far, playing some brave innings as the lone hand of CW XI resistance, but also falling to loose shots with regularity. Dauth has been the celebrity of Cricket Web cricket since his inclusion in the international side, stirring up controversy with his playboy image and then recent marriage to a notorious Peruvian. He played game-saving 150 not out in the final Test of Pakistan's recent tour of CWLand, but failed to perform with consistency in South Africa.

Chris Butler was once the centrepiece of the CW XI middle order, but following his layout with injury during Season XI, he has found the road back in Test cricket to be a struggle. He needs big runs to re-establish himself as the reliable number five that the team needs, and that he is in ODI cricket. Joining Goff in providing solidity to the batting lineup is Andrew Cloete. Though undoubtedly not the player he once was, Cloete is still the most potent weapon in the Cricket Web XI arsenal and will need to fire on the subcontinent.

The bowling attack will be under the most scrutiny in the coming series. David Kennett, Kyle Wright, Greg Thomas and Dave Watt have all been retained despite modest Test records. They are now under pressure to perform, with the selectors running out of patience. On the other hand, Halsey and Pickup are practically assured of playing the entire series, given their dominance as a partnership in both forms of the game.

Mike Wilson makes his second tour and he is partnered by Liam Camps jr. in the allrounder ranks. Though Camps is not expected to start the series, he lends experience and a good batting option, should coach Tharmi Loganathan and Goff opt for more depth to the batting lineup.

Cricket Web XI Test squad:

BJ Goff (c), NS Pickup (vc), H Mørk (wk), T Mamesh (wk), DA Kearsley, CR Butler, RJ Dauth, LA Camps, MW Wilson, TC Halsey, DM Kennett, AP Cloete, KS Wright, GM Thomas, DJ Watt.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Glad to be re-selected. Hope I can put in a match winning performance or three :)

Good luck guys and go CWXI!

Travis_Teh

Great looking squad.

Slightly disappointed in the selectors retaining Wright over such talent as Adam Collins. When your times up, your times up. An announcement of retirement from anyone is a sure sign of this, let alone being -recalled- to a test team after "changing ones mind".

Backward move, still.

Simon

WCC Staff
well done to those selected, im not surprised to be left out after i played no part in CWXI's previous tour, even if i had of been picked i probably wouldnt have gotten a test and this way i still get to play for NSW...

Robertinho

Great looking squad.

Slightly disappointed in the selectors retaining Wright over such talent as Adam Collins. When your times up, your times up. An announcement of retirement from anyone is a sure sign of this, let alone being -recalled- to a test team after "changing ones mind".

Backward move, still.
I must admit, I'm surprised the selectors aren't doing everything they can to encourage one of our hottest young bowling talents, in Adam Collins. Maybe it's all part of a grand plan... :-O

Adamc

Mmm I think I'm destined to always be at arm's length from the Test side, think I've only had a handful of 'A' appearances anyway. Would be interested to see the ages of the players in that squad if possible, not even sure of my own age in CWLand. Can't be that young anymore.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm personally surprised that Manan Shah & Muhammad Amir haven't been included in the squad. After all, they've been tearing up US grade cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Big names rest out for tour opener

Liam Camps jr., David Kearsley, Rob Dauth and Chris Butler will all be battling for Test middle order spots come Saturday's warmup fixture against the PCB Patrons XI. Brendon Goff will lead a side missing key players Andrew Cloete, Neil Pickup, Tom Halsey and Haakon Moerk. Featured in the game will be the fast bowling quartet of Kennett, Wright, Watt and Thomas, reportedly competing for two spots alongside Pickup and Halsey in the first Test.

Cricket Web XI:
BJ Goff (c), T Mamesh (wk). LA Camps, DA Kearsley, RJ Dauth, CR Butler, MW Wilson, DM Kennett, KS Wright, GM Thomas, DJ Watt. 12th Man: TC Halsey.

chaminda_00

Mmm I think I'm destined to always be at arm's length from the Test side, think I've only had a handful of 'A' appearances anyway. Would be interested to see the ages of the players in that squad if possible, not even sure of my own age in CWLand. Can't be that young anymore.
Majority of the players are not that old and you would be pretty young too. I don't think there are many players outside maybe Goff, Darren and Bugs who age would be a factor.

Mister Wright

Very happy to be retained. Although I know I need some big performances. I can't understand the questioning of my commitment to the Cricket Web XI international side. My retirement decision at the start of the season was to do with personal issues, not playing desire. As soon, as those personal issues had been resolved I have not been anything but committed to whichever team I play for.