• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in Australia Tour Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Scorecard
Commentary

Cricket Web XI vs Australia
2nd ODI - Telstra Dome

A steady partnership from Marc Robbins and Ash Chaulk impressed all who witnessed it, as the Cricket Web XI recovered from 5/54 to chase 155 for victory against the Australians. The tourists levelled the series at 1-1, though Brett Lee's early burst put the result in doubt.

Lee took the wickets of Markus, Goff, Butler and DeSilva in his opening spell, but found no support from his fellow bowlers. The lack of consistent pressure at the other end was met with intelligent and courageous batting from Robbins and Chaulk, and both proved the depth in the CW XI lineup admirably.

Though Lee returned to dismiss Robbins off a skied hook shot, the damage was done, and Halsey swatted the winning runs off the bowling of Katich with 10.4 overs to spare.

There were suggestions at the start of the series that Chaulk entered practically playing for his ODI career, and with a tremendous showing with both the gloves and the bat, it was a relieved man who walked off the field in celebration.

Earlier it was the bowling of Liam Camps that took centre stage. The veteran allrounder emerged from a long period of struggle with the ball in ODI cricket, claiming 6 wickets and career best figures. Despite winning the toss and batting first, none of the Australians found any real form at the crease, and early pressure from Nathan Hoy and Xavier Rose led to a dramatic middle order collapse.

Andrew Symonds and Brad Hogg helped left the score from 6/89, but the failure of early batsmen meant that the home team could get no further than 154 in a rare abysmal performance.

Australia 154 ao (48.1 overs)
Cricket Web XI 6/155 (39.2 overs)

Cricket Web XI won by 4 wickets.
Series: 1-1
Man of the Match: AP Chaulk

Visit Cricket Web Cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This win shows (for the doubters) that we can face the best and beat the best. Not as consistent yet but this is quite good as well. :happy:

age_master

Great Stuff Liam, incredible spell.

Nice solid partnership between Robbins and Chaulk showed the pitch wasn't impossible to bat on too

Robertinho

Wow, great win(s) guys. Go the Hoyus. Camps, 6 wickets, what a spell.

Batting still yet to fire on all cylinders, but the bowlers are in great form.

Keep it up.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good to see Liam get more wickets in 10 overs than he had all tour... meanwhile, Australians still can't play quality spin (or even half-decent spin...)

Now to take the series and complete what will be the greatest ever tour in the nation's history.

ash chaulk

marc71178 said:
No affence Ash, but Liam has to get MOM for that performance!
as i am proud of my performance i agree that liam taking 6 wickets definetly has the edge over 48* 3 catches and a stumping. Great to tie the series boys but the top order still looking for big runs boys.

great to be back on the scene..

David

International 12th Man
Pratyush said:
This win shows (for the doubters) that we can face the best and beat the best. Not as consistent yet but this is quite good as well. :happy:
Any doubters we had in the OD form should be long gone. We weren't world cup finalists for nothing.

dinu23

Another good win. well done to the bowlers, specially Camps (6 wickets!). batting is a bit of a worry at the moment.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I hate being crap. Not just average even, but crap. You`d think I`d have learn something from half-a-dozen seasons. Maybe I should switch to spin. :D

Big win, obviously set up mainly by Camps, but Hoy, Rose, Tom and Neil kept it very tight. Ash has been superb recently, batting and keeping. Keep it up fellas, hopefully I can get your confidence up in the nets. ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Australia 3rd ODI XI

AC Gilchrist (wk)
SM Katich
RT Ponting (C)
PA Jaques
DR Martyn
A Symonds
MJ Clarke
GB Hogg
B Lee
NW Bracken
SR Clark

Mr Mxyzptlk

CW XI 3rd ODI XII

I Markus
LA Camps
BJ Goff (C)
RJ Dauth - debut
CR Butler
MJ Robbins
AP Chaulk (wk)
TC Halsey
NS Hoy
XPA Rose
NS Pickup

12th Man: NL Patrick

cbuts

congrats rob, long over due imo.

ya got time for a live sim Liam, if so how long y reckon, im keen to stick around

Mr Mxyzptlk

Scorecard
Commentary

Cricket Web XI vs Australia
3rd ODI - Telstra Dome

Proving once again why he has such a great reputation in one-day international cricket, Marc Robbins contributed a terrific allround performance to seal an historic series win for the Cricket Web XI over Australia.

The veteran took 2 wickets with some expert death bowling, including that of the ever-dangerous Ricky Ponting. He then went on to score 75 not out from the pressure situation of 4/108 in a chase of 241 for victory. Robbins was not the only star of the day however, as Chris Butler batted beautifully for a half-century before him, then Ash Chaulk was the perfect partner in a matchwinning stand of 94 unbroken.

Ponting won the toss earlier in the day and chose to bat first for the second consecutive game. The decision looked promising, even as Neil Pickup floored two sitters off Katich in the space of two balls. When Pickup initiated the breakthrough an over later, however, uncertainty swiftly crept in.

Soon the Australians found themselves caught up in a spin - 5/111. The damage inflicted by the Cricket Web spinners was met with a new game plan from Ponting and Clarke, and the ensuing counterattack was severe and effective.

Goff was forced to turn to his top seamer, Hoy. The young man certainly with two wickets and then it took a thrilling cameo of 38 not out from Brett Lee to measure the total at a competitive level of 240.

An out-of-form top order and a swinging white ball quickly combined to reduce the Webheads to 3/42. It was the moment that the Australians were on top, and Chris Butler escaped with a boundary when he edged his first ball through the packed slip cordon. Though the Aussies came alive once more with the dismissal of Markus in the 21st over, it only invited Robbins to the crease and much like the huge achievement of a series win, the rest is history.

Australia 240 all out (47.1 overs)

Cricket Web XI 241/5 (46.5 overs)

Cricket Web XI won by 5 wickets; win the series 2-1.
Man of the Match: MJ Robbins
Man of the Series: MJ Robbins

Visit Cricket Web Cricket - the official CW XI website.

Last edited by a moderator:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Veteran?!

Am I that old?!

Super effort boys - glad to have been made so welcome on my return and I think we can now put out a genuine challenge to go one better than last time!