• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in South Africa

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Fourth ODI, at Centurion:

South Africa:

*GC Smith
HH Gibbs
JH Kallis
AG Prince
AB de Villiers
AJ Hall
+MV Boucher
SM Pollock
CK Langeveldt
M Ntini
A Nel

Cricket Web XI unchanged:

LA Camps
I Markus
*BJ Goff
CR Butler
AP Cloete
RJ Dauth
+A Crampton
TC Halsey
DJ Watt
NS Pickup
KS Wright

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Fourth One-Day International: Cricket Web XI vs South Africa
at Centurion

Scorecard
Commentary

It was another dominant performance, as Cricket Web XI went 4-0 up with three games to spare, the final blow to an already dying ODI series. It was the most confident of the lot; led by magnificent innings from CW XI's grand old men, Brendan Goff and Andrew Cloete, who have 311 caps between them, Cricket Web won by 149 runs as the spinners and medium pacers inflicted one of the worst batting collapses in ODI history.

Cricket Web chose to bat on a sunny morning, and got a good start, only for Camps and Markus to be caught pulling at inopportune times. Nevertheless, there was only a short rebuilding period, before Goff was away with some beautiful boundaries. Excellent shotmaking followed, and the wicket of Butler - clean bowled by a quicker one from Nel, followed by excessive celebration that later saw Nel fined 1000 ‰ of his match fee - did not stop the march. When Goff fell for 98, the score stood at 199 for four, with 16 overs remaining; Cloete kept the run rate up, with 104 runs coming off those last 16 overs, and the total of 303 for six was imposing.

Too imposing. Although Gibbs and Smith saw off the seamers, Watt worried them consistently again, and only conceded 23 from his seven overs. Camps was given the new ball, but taken out of the attack after three overs; Wright then came on, but could not make inroads, and South Africa had 104 on the board when the first wicket fell.

And then lost a further nine for 50. The pressure of the run rate got to them; Gibbs was idiotically run out, six batsmen were caught, most of them to very expansive shots after a few plays-and-misses. It was amateurish cricket, despite de Villiers' huge six, and it earned Liam Camps his third five-wicket-haul of the series. Nevertheless, he was not Man of the Match; that honour was bestowed on Brendan Goff, whose only fault was that Pollock got him two runs too early for an eighth ODI century.

Cricket Web XI 303-6 (50 overs)
BJ Goff 98, A Cloete 93*; M Ntini 3-51
South Africa 154 (40.1 overs)
HH Gibbs 60, GC Smith 42; LA Camps 5-40, TC Halsey 3-37

Cricket Web XI won by 149 runs and lead ODI series 4-0
Man of the Match: B. J. Goff

Leading batsmen thus far: A. Cloete (CW) 196 runs @ 98 (SR 92.8), B. J. Goff (CW) 182 runs @ 45.50 (SR 93.8), C. R. Butler (CW) 165 runs @ 55 (SR 76.7), H. H. Gibbs (SA) 146 runs @ 36.5 (SR 61.6), L. A. Camps (CW) 129 runs @ 43 (SR 62.0)
Leading batsmen by strike rate (60+ balls faced): J. H. Kallis (SA) 94.5, B. J. Goff (CW) 93.8, A. Cloete (CW) 92.89, G. C. Smith (SA) 82.6, R. J. Dauth (CW) 78.8

Leading bowlers: L. A. Camps (CW) 15 wickets @ 11.63 (econ 4.49), T. C. Halsey (CW) 10 wickets @ 13.70 (econ 3.62), M. Ntini (SA) 7 wickets @ 19.57 (econ 4.72), S. M. Pollock 6 wickets @ 29.66 (econ 4.85), N. S. Pickup 4 wickets @ 33 (econ 3.55)
Leading bowlers by economy rate (10+ overs): N. S. Pickup (CW) 3.55, T. C. Halsey (CW) 3.62, D. J. Watt (CW) 4.03, C. K. Langeveldt (SA) 4.27, L. A. aAmps (CW) 4.49

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Smashed it.

Camps, Goff and Cloete were spectacular and our spinners don`t have bad games. :cool:

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

Absolutely outplaying them, Camps is an absolute gun! Well supported by the two twirlers and the batsmen.

Need to take some poles else find myself out of the XI!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cricket Web XI for fifth ODI, at Johannesburg:

A Cloete
DP Towns
*BJ Goff
RJ Dauth
+A Crampton
MJ Robbins
LA Camps
TC Halsey
DJ Watt
KS Wright
NL Patrick

Pickup, Markus and Butler are rested. Cloete moves up to opening to see how he does there. Dauth and Crampton moved up the batting order for some game time, while Camps moves down to get late-over chances.

South Africa:

*GC Smith
HH Gibbs
JH Kallis
AG Prince
AB de Villiers
AJ Hall
+MV Boucher
SM Pollock
A Nel
M Ntini
CK Langeveldt

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Glad to get another chance - really need to use the bat properly if I'm trusted with a middle order spot. We may be well ahead, but the way we're playing, 7-0 is on...

Mister Wright

Very surprised I'm still in the team, and I hope I can finally put in a good performance. Great performance from the cricketweb XI 4-0 up is an amazing performance.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Samuel_Vimes said:
Cricket Web XI for fifth ODI, at Johannesburg:

A Cloete
DP Towns
*BJ Goff
RJ Dauth
+A Crampton
MJ Robbins
LA Camps
TC Halsey
DJ Watt
KS Wright
NL Patrick

Pickup, Markus and Butler are axed.
:cool: Really hope to contribute to our 5th win.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Fifth One-day International: South Africa v Cricket Web XI
at Johannesburg

Scorecard
Commentary lost on the way out from stadium.

Though the wicket at Johannesburg was conducive to big scores from the best batsmen, it was the CW bowlers that came out on top, ensuring CW XI took a 5-0 lead with two games to play. Rob Dauth and Tom Halsey were the shining lights in a good performance, as CW once more won by a fairly significant margin.

Brendon Goff chose to have first use of the wicket, and all the three top batsmen got starts, slashing Ntini and Pollock to pieces. It took truly good balls to remove all three, leaving CW in a spot of bother at 77 for three; however, Crampton rebuilt well with Dauth, though the run rate slowed somewhat. Robbins, Camps and Halsey then scored at a rapid enough rate, though Camps' one boundary from 28 balls was some cause for concern, leaving Ntini totally whacked out of the match with two wickets for 82.

Chasing 298 to win, things went okay for South Africa at first. Smith and Kallis were on belligerent form, taking on the Cricket Web seamers, who could neither stem the run rate nor take wickets. Marc Robbins at fourth-change removed Smith, however, as he hoiked Robbins to Wright with the latter's first ball of the game. Once again the South African middle order wilted completely against Halsey and the run-rate pressure, and despite Kallis' assault worth 96 runs, the rest of the team could only contribute 91; the remainder of the 192 were extras. Halsey got four wickets before the seamers were called upon to cut the innings short; they didn't do too good a job, but Patrick got the wickets of Boucher and Nel, and Camps closed off the game with his 16th wicket of the series.

Cricket Web XI 297-6 (50 overs)
RJ Dauth 88*, A Crampton 46, TC Halsey 38*; JH Kallis 2-45

South Africa 192 all out (44.2 overs)
JH Kallis 96; TC Halsey 4-37, NL Patrick 2-48

Cricket Web XI won by 105 runs
Man of the match: T. C. Halsey

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yes XI! 5-0 is incredible. Glad I could help out with a nice return and a catch. Halsey and Dauth smashed it.

Mister Wright

Wow! Cricketweb storming through this series! Excellent results in each game. Much happier with my individual performance, but with Patrick taking wickets I think I'll have trouble keeping my spot.

Well done boys...