• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

grecian

The Fouling, gouging, time-wasting anti-football, long-ball merchants of Wycombe are going to be in the Championship aren't they?

**** me 2020 man.

Lillian Thomson

The Fouling, gouging, time-wasting anti-football, long-ball merchants of Wycombe are going to be in the Championship aren't they?

**** me 2020 man.
It's quite comical the way the pundits just look at the results and league table and say what a wonderful job Ainsworth has done. I suppose if you're a Wycombe fan and winning you're happy, but it is truly diabolical.

grecian

It's quite comical the way the pundits just look at the results and league table and say what a wonderful job Ainsworth has done. I suppose if you're a Wycombe fan and winning you're happy, but it is truly diabolical.
Hey as I've said 100s of times before people have no idea about the lower leagues unless they watch it, it happens so many times these teams are lauded, and if you say owt, it's called sour grapes. Oh and he has done a wonderful job, just not an edifying one, and hard to see how it will translate up the divisions.

If they had to watch Wycombe time-waste from the first minute in almost every match they play, as it assists their style of stop-start football, they may have a different view, but ho-hum.

Anyway feel the teams that will do okay out of this are the ones with least in contract, and how much money the ones in contract are on. I mean good players released will take any old contract for a year, whilst the ones that have lots of players on their books won't be able to get rid of ones under the old contracts, and probably won't be able to sign anyone whilst that drain on their resources with no money coming in stretches on.

I know we don't look good, but we'll only know how things are until we see how all the other teams are looking.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

The Allardyce of the lower leagues, deserves credit for taking a club without a pot to piss in to the verge of the Championship. It isn't pretty but it works.

grecian

The Allardyce of the lower leagues, deserves credit for taking a club without a pot to piss in to the verge of the Championship. It isn't pretty but it works.
he's an odd on though isn't he he was a bit of a poncey winger if I remember rightly. Not like most of these route one cynical managers who tend to be like Allardyce a no-nonsense (euphemism for ****ing hard dirty ****) player.

flibbertyjibber

he's an odd on though isn't he he was a bit of a poncey winger if I remember rightly. Not like most of these route one cynical managers who tend to be like Allardyce a no-nonsense (euphemism for ****ing hard dirty ****) player.
Still slightly prefer him to that **** from Stevenage though. Westley is the worst of the worst.

Lillian Thomson

I wouldn't compare him with Allardyce. Long balls down the channels and fighting for scraps around the penalty is one thing, but Wycombe take the spoiling and time wasting to another level. The nearest to anything like it was John Beck at Cambridge in the early 90's.

flibbertyjibber

Na, Westley's sides are worse. They truly are terrible to watch it is just that Ainsworth is getting success at present.

Then again Ainsworth played for Beck and Gary Peters so learnt it all off them.

grecian

I wouldn't compare him with Allardyce. Long balls down the channels and fighting for scraps around the penalty is one thing, but Wycombe take the spoiling and time wasting to another level. The nearest to anything like it was John Beck at Cambridge in the early 90's.
Yeah the time-wasting is the thing, and as I say starts from the first minute. Other teams do it too, I wonder if it's creeped back in because the top refs now are in the Prem, and the lower League ones don't want to be controversial by sending people off for seemingly trivial things, when they are looking for promotion.

The frustrating thing is it's the officials faults, Tell them to get on with it early, then book them as soon as they start taking a long time over every set-piece, problem solved.

grecian

Refs almost always want a slower game because it’s easier to referee.
Yeah, think you're right, even without questionable tactics the amount of refs who just don't allow any flow in the play in the lower-leagues is frustrating.

grecian

It's the quickness of the feet that is so other-worldy from Greenwood, yeah the strikes are great, but that innate ability to just move it into positions in a fraction of a second is what makes greats.

Last edited: