• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group A Discussion - Pakistan, West Indies, Australia, India

Matt79

Global Moderator
****ing rain! Can't imagine this will help us - shame Huss went just before the delay, if D/L calculations are to come into play.

Uppercut

What are the provisions for the untaken batting powerplay if it ends up a D/L chase?

I have a feeling this is going to **** all over Australia.

Matt79

Global Moderator
What are the provisions for the untaken batting powerplay if it ends up a D/L chase?

I have a feeling this is going to **** all over Australia.
I'll take a stab and say that the ICC has nothing sensible worked out for this contingency... :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Harbhajan has been incredibly disappointing with the ball.

Uppercut what do you think of Ponting's knock?

I think the commentators have overrated how hard this pitch is to bat on. India have bowled ordinary, yet Praveen Kumar has been able to get away with it, and also Harbhajan (to a lesser extent, his figures are still ****) has been let off as well.

Obviously Australia in a great position, but they should have 20-30 more runs on the board now.

Uppercut

I didn't see it I'm afraid, Jono, I can't really comment.

I can comment on his decision to bat first: it was abysmal.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@ Jono - Praveen Kumar has been a disappointment. He has got the support of swing but has been bowling terrible lines. His discipline is seriously lacking.

I would have played RP instead. With cloud cover and swing on offer, he would have been good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes Praveen Kumar has been disappointing today, yet his figures are 8-0-34-0. You'd take that.

To me that says Australia haven't batted THAT well.

I feel if one replaced Ponting's name with Dravid, he would have been criticised for that knock.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
From Cricinfo

If Australia's innings ends now, India's target in 42 overs is 263. If its reduced to 20 overs then 153. I have asked our people at the ground for further updates about the rain. Stay tuned, be patient.

andyc

From Cricinfo

If Australia's innings ends now, India's target in 42 overs is 263. If its reduced to 20 overs then 153. I have asked our people at the ground for further updates about the rain. Stay tuned, be patient.
Definitely advantage India if that happens. Bugger it.

Stapel

From Cricinfo

That's odd. Aus are defenitely in an above par situation wth 234/4 after 42.3 of 50 overs. Whereas 153 is simply a par score in T20.

I should admit it's just a feeling though.

Uppercut

Nah, D/L is generally very generous to teams batting second. 153 in 20 should be easy for India I reckon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't see play resuming though.

So India's chances of making it to the semi-finals are in the hands of Pakistan in that case.

kingkallis

20 overs and 153 is pretty cool. Lets go for it then :D

Lemme pray for the rain to stop :D

India can pretty easily chase it down IMHO.

andyc

So if this is rained off, India will beat the West Indies, leaving them with 1 win from 2 games, so we'll have to beat Pakistan to make sure it doesn't come down to NRR. Currently a pretty decent gap in NRR's between India and Aus though (2.080).

andyc

From Cricinfo:

Tony Lewis, of Duckworth and Lewis, has emailed giving us the correct permutation. A newer version of the software was implemented for this tournament, which Tony has. Per the new WinCODA2 software being used by Tony and the scorers in South Africa, India's target will be 266 in 42 overs. Thanks for that Tony. Appreciated. And no, this system apparently does not take into consideration Powerplays.
Should definitely be looked at ASAP, it could get pretty bad if something like this happened in a semi-final.