• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 38 - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Not sure what to label NZs performance - dissapointing yes - but not a shock that we failed.

Might as well have picked Woodcock given Kane's contribution.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just been watching the highlights. Think the 4th ump wants a kick in the nads after the Mahela/N McCullum C&B. Had to give it, surely?

Blaze 18

Banned
I hope they sack incompetent umpires like him. I can't believe we have dudes like Ashoka de Silva, Amish Saheba, etc. for the freaking WORLD CUP!

Mike5181

Ah Well. We still have a slight chance in the quarters. We need Mills and Vettori back though. They should never have got the total they posted. I am not sure what we do with our batsmen though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Just been watching the highlights. Think the 4th ump wants a kick in the nads after the Mahela/N McCullum C&B. Had to give it, surely?
Needs to find himself unemployed. It's an appallingly bad decision that anyone with two eyes could have given out, yet someone paid full whack and given a tv screen can't do it. Not good enough.

BeeGee

Ah Well. We still have a slight chance in the quarters. We need Mills and Vettori back though. They should never have got the total they posted. I am not sure what we do with our batsmen though.
Boot up the arse from Wright for not sticking to the game plan. :dry:

Lostman

Real happy with the bowling performance, at the break I was sure that the total was not enough on this small ground.
Murali what a performance though, on one leg and dealing with the dew.

I cant believe I am going to say this, but they need to consider bringing Kapu back in place of Silva.:sick: (or even Perera)
Kapu for all his faults actually tries to knock the ball around in the slog. Silva wasn't even trying and failed to nudge it around as well.

KiWiNiNjA

I'm surprised Taylor was so PC during his post game interview. I'd lodge a formal complaint against Saheba. Surely if the match referee looks at the conduct of the players he should also look at the conduct of the umpires. Amazingly inept, worse than Ashoka imo.

Huge surprise that NZ collapsed to Murali. Didn't see that coming at all. :dry:
Funnily enough, as soon as Franklin and McCullum (?) started hitting it to the outfield the dew finally started coming into play. But by that time the damage was already done.

Last edited:

Shifter

The only person in the wrong was the 3rd umpire. Unfortunately the ICC tend to back the umpires even when they make unmitigated screw ups instead of holding them accountable.

Migara

I'm surprised Taylor was so PC during his post game interview. I'd lodge a formal complaint against Saheba. Surely if the match referee looks at the conduct of the players he should also look at the conduct of the umpires. Amazingly inept, worse than Ashoka imo.

Huge surprise that NZ collapsed to Murali. Didn't see that coming at all. :dry:
Funnily enough, as soon as Franklin and McCullum (?) started hitting it to the outfield the dew finally started coming into play. But by that time the damage was already done.
Actually dew has helped SL IMO. Even Murali didn't know which of his off spinners going to turn and which one is going to go straight. The delivery that took Williamson was a cross seam off break, which just kept going with the arm when it landed on the shiny surface. Willamson was playing for a off break.

straw man

Disappointing game last night - I don't usually get caught up with talk of 'momentum' but I think NZ really needed a bit of that going into the quarter finals. Beating SL in the subcontinent would have provided a huge shot of 'belief', and the converse applies as well. Now I simply cannot see us beating any team that has a couple of spinners. Or for that matter, fast bowlers like Australia have.

Only way I can see us progressing to the semis now is if we somehow come up against the Windies in the quarter final and they self destruct worse than us.

straw man

PS: As disgusted as everyone else at the non-catch third umpire decision. It is categorically worse than any onfield decision that an umpire makes as the third ump has the benefit of numerous replays and still refuses to see what is in front of his eyes.

If 95% of people at home could see that was out on the replay, then why is the ICC recruiting from the other 5%.

straw man

PPS: Well done Sri Lanka. Look an impressive side and anyone who counted them out after they lost to Pakistan could look very foolish.