• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

dogwalker

Hannes Strydom in ICU after being attacked by six men.

Can we please cancel my country, what is the point of all this hurt and pain?

Hurricane

Cool video

I think we will see more and more structured play from 2nd phase ball ten years from now. The only reason it isn't more popular is that the top Kiwi teams don't do it. We tend to just rely on individual brilliance to make the gain line or create a break. Strangely some of the lower ranked super XV teams try to play more with patterns and options from general play.

Every team tries a "play" from set pieces though.

The look at the hips comment from Nick Evans is a very very old school kiwi thought process. Warwick Taylor started that saying in the 70s and it seems to have become part of our coaching and body of knowledge ever since. The theory is that it is very easy to throw a head fake but you can't fake the movement of your hips. Looking at hips is hard to do by the way, and you can't just wake up one day and go I will start looking at defenders hips or an attacking players hips, there is so much information coming at you visually that it takes practice to get it down.

ripper868

Just want to confirm I am not happy with the Reds signing JOC. Also find it odd that KHunt is a vice captain ahead of Cooper/Genia. Very pleased with Slipper as captain, a great player and fantastic person.

In other rugby news Samo has signed with the rebels at age 79. Expect him to tear the house down and score a runaway try in the RWC final in extra time, breaking New Zealand hearts.

dermo

Just want to confirm I am not happy with the Reds signing JOC. Also find it odd that KHunt is a vice captain ahead of Cooper/Genia. Very pleased with Slipper as captain, a great player and fantastic person.

In other rugby news Samo has signed with the rebels at age 79. Expect him to tear the house down and score a runaway try in the RWC final in extra time, breaking New Zealand hearts.
with all the big match experience hunt has he was always going to be in the leadership group in some form, so it's not really that surprising. unlikely genia and cooper will be around after the world cup either

im expecting hunt to be as good as izzy ftr, bloke is a freak, not quite the same athlete as izzy but has better rugby skills

ripper868

Valid points, and it's not like Hunt has ever played the game before, I do hope he goes well.

The European exodus is starting to become a major drain for Aus rugby. Kepu the most recent to go, obviously along with Horwill, Genia likely, cooper likely, now there is also talk of Foley going as well. Going to seriously cripple the Superrugby teams in Aus. I appreciate the older guys like Horwill who have given 10 years service going over, but guys like Kepu who is in the prim of his career is happy to jump ship and sacrifice about another 30 wallaby caps. Can't say I blame them, offer me a 40% pay rise and a chalet in France and I'll take it as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Valid points, and it's not like Hunt has ever played the game before, I do hope he goes well.

The European exodus is starting to become a major drain for Aus rugby. Kepu the most recent to go, obviously along with Horwill, Genia likely, cooper likely, now there is also talk of Foley going as well. Going to seriously cripple the Superrugby teams in Aus. I appreciate the older guys like Horwill who have given 10 years service going over, but guys like Kepu who is in the prim of his career is happy to jump ship and sacrifice about another 30 wallaby caps. Can't say I blame them, offer me a 40% pay rise and a chalet in France and I'll take it as well.
Assume you mean "never" rather than "ever"?

Interested to see how he goes. Think full back or 2nd 5/8 probably the best fits for him.

dermo

yeah a good mate of mine whose in and around the tahs squad has always said if he makes it he'll be off to play in france pretty quickly, and like you say its pretty hard to argue

i do wonder how long it will be until we allow overseas players to play for the wallabies, it would significantly strengthen the wallabies but i doubt we'd be able to support 5 super rugby teams anymore, 90% of our good players would be in europe

dermo

not much is made of it but from all reports he was very very good in his season of rugby in france

ripper868

I did indeed mean never in my earlier post re Hunt, and also agree with posts regarding his professionalism and ability, liked what I saw from his French Rugby stint.

In worse news for the Reds QC is out for 3 months with a busted collar bone. Big wraps on young Paia'aua who is coming from the Broncos U/20s. Don't be fooled though, Paia'aua was in several Queensland Union rep side sides prior to his signing by the Broncos, has a good rugby brain and could surprise a few. Expect to see him ship off to France in 2 years as well.

JOC has a knee niggle as well, it's quite a weak squad the Reds are sending up to Cairns for the first Trial. Think the big struggle will be in the tight 5, Slipper excellent obviously along with the consistent Faingaa and Hanson, Horwill isn't his old self and Simmons gives up too many easy penalties, though is a brilliant line out manager (one area the Reds were better than the Tahs last year).

Anyway 2 weeks till my move to Blighty. Still looking for a place to live, would prefer something along the overlland line that goes to Twickenham, seeing as my new office is in Rugby Rd and all.

dermo

went out to the waratahs trial vs uni, randwick and parramatta today at merrylands. was pretty scrappy 3x30 min thirds with a lot of fringe players given a run and not many of the wallabies playing

taqele naiyaravoro was pretty impressive for the tahs, looks to have a better grasp of the game though it'll be interesting to see how he goes against better competition

ripper what have you seen of paia'aua? mate of mine who played against him in the 16s doesn't remember him being that great and with cooper, o'connor and mcintrye all injured that would make him 4th string, maybe hunt will end up there?

ripper868

What I saw of Paia'aua was that he could read a game extremely well and knew when to pass, kick run, Could tackle like a demon as well and was also smart in defence, controlling his outside men in the defensive line and setting the speed of the line.

Course that was at the juniors levels - I mainly saw him at country championship tournaments where he was the clear standout of the tournament, certainly according to the QRU development guys anyway. The thing that stood out most was his calmness rather than his flashiness - also his toughness and lack of fear was highly praised. Again this is all 4-5 years ago so yeah, a lot can change between 16 and 20.

Hunt at 10 wouldn't be terrible. Can tackle, pass, run and certainly kick. Guiding an inexperienced centre pairing of Kerevi and CFS might be hard though. Realistically I'm expecting the Reds to do no better than 10th this year and 12th in 2016.

howardj

I honestly would not have picked him to be into this

Apparently he was on $760K per year at the Reds

Gone are the days when guys spend their money on jet skis etc.