• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out of control

Zinzan

The American Politics Thread is out of control tbh
Eh? How so? It's never been any different, and you'd expect nothing less in a political thread in which people passionately come from different viewpoints.

I mean how boring would it be if everyone agreed with one another on everything.

Personally I like that thread more now than in 2016, a time when it felt like 99% were on one side of the political fence on close to all issues. I feel now people have matured in their views and have become more nuanced on individual issues (save those who equate less-than-ideal immigration policy to Nazi Germany and who cite everything as racism etc), and have moved away from that ghastly identity politics of 2016. I'm talking members on this forum in the main, and not the US political environment which has moved even more towards identity politics on the left.

Maximas

Eh? How so? It's never been any different, and you'd expect nothing less in a political thread in which people passionately come from different viewpoints.

I mean how boring would it be if everyone agreed with one another on everything.

Personally I like that thread more now than in 2016, a time when it felt like 99% were on one side of the political fence on close to all issues. I feel now people have matured in their views and have become more nuanced on individual issues (save those who equate less-than-ideal immigration policy to Nazi Germany and who cite everything as racism etc), and have moved away from that ghastly identity politics of 2016. I'm talking members on this forum in the main, and not the US political environment which has moved even more towards identity politics on the left.
Well from what I can tell that does away with most of what I've read just lately

I haven't followed it much over its history but it's made for sorry reading the last few days tbh, not that I really mind or am judging

Burgey

What could possibly be more "identity politics" than saying to people "go back to where you came from"?

Zinzan

What could possibly be more "identity politics" than saying to people "go back to where you came from"?
You misread, I was referring to CW chatters on the american politics thread becoming more nuanced on individual issues, and less about identity politics now vs. 2016.

Maximas

My point is that they wanted economic improvement, and Trump promised it, I'd say that's what got their vote rather than this vague appeal to identity as you say.

RossTaylorsBox

My point is that they wanted economic improvement, and Trump promised it, I'd say that's what got their vote rather than this vague appeal to identity as you say.
Would be valid except non-white working-class vote didn't break for Trump. He specifically appealed to white people by going hard on immigration and minorities. It's true that "economic anxiety" was a factor, but it's not the main one.

There's also the chud safaris where there's always some white guy who's lost his job/farm or whatever but will still vote Trump because at least he keeps the browns away.

Uppercut

This is basically the argument that many on the left - most promimently Coates - have been making for a while now
TBH I haven't got that impression from Coates.

I think it's pretty clear that the vast majority of politics is identity politics. Historically, globally, hardly any elections are fought along sincere ideological lines.