• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Save the High Street

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I went shopping with the wife and kids the day after Boxing Day, it was largely torture. I spent some cash in HMV (vinyl) and Waterstones though

I’ll probably buy most of my vinyl and books online for the next year until we do the same shopping trip again next Xmas though, I would guess. I do prefer buying from waterstones as I’m so much more likely to buy something that I wasn’t initially looking for when I go there.

morgieb

We have a pretty good High Street here, and it’s handy for fresh food (though we order a lot of that online and have it delivered) and for the cafes and restaurants. There aren’t as many boutiques as there used to be, owing mostly to the growth in online shopping I suppose.

Pubs are even closing down a bit here, which has the most pubs per square yard of any suburb in Australia. Fmd the town hall hotel closed down and they made it a ****ing wellness centre. Isn’t that what a pub is ffs?
Yeah Balmain Town Hall closing should be a crime against humanity. Though o/c Balmain still has lots and lots of pubs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I went shopping with the wife and kids the day after Boxing Day, it was largely torture. I spent some cash in HMV (vinyl) and Waterstones though

I’ll probably buy most of my vinyl and books online for the next year until we do the same shopping trip again next Xmas though, I would guess. I do prefer buying from waterstones as I’m so much more likely to buy something that I wasn’t initially looking for when I go there.
It is just so bad.

morgieb

But yeah to me most Main Street places in Sydney tend to be restaurants/cafes with the odd chemist/bookshop/supermarket/etc. Obviously a little bit different where I am and the bigger ones tend to have more boutiques but the trend of big shopping centres and online shopping I think has seen the general idea of main street shopping go bust, and it's been that way for a fair while now.

As a rule though I find physical shopping torture. Even stuff like clothes I really don't enjoy doing.

Niall

But yeah to me most Main Street places in Sydney tend to be restaurants/cafes with the odd chemist/bookshop/supermarket/etc. Obviously a little bit different where I am and the bigger ones tend to have more boutiques but the trend of big shopping centres and online shopping I think has seen the general idea of main street shopping go bust, and it's been that way for a fair while now.

As a rule though I find physical shopping torture. Even stuff like clothes I really don't enjoy doing.
With clothes shopping assumed everyone did what I did. Bought online and only used big stores just to check for sizes when it comes to buying online.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I buy most clothes online tbh. Know the brands/stores that fit me well, and just buy from those. Can be a bit aggravating if you need to return anything, but no more so than it would be going to a shop in the first place.

cpr

Tend to do clothes in person, but I'm lucky that I have everything bar Primark within 10 mins walk of the house.

Niall

Tend to do clothes in person, but I'm lucky that I have everything bar Primark within 10 mins walk of the house.
what's everyone's fav online clothes shop? Need to spend some work vouchers.

Use sunspel normally but bored of them these days.

Last edited:

andmark

Primark and then feel sorry for the probable circumstances of the person who made the clothes.

Howe_zat

Staggering that we are hearing about shops needing help now that it’s massive chains that are in trouble, and not any time over the last 30 years while the HMVs and and WHSmiths have been happily putting local shops out on their arse.

Howe_zat

I remember what it was like to work at a big chain (Curry’s) just before Amazon started to rule Christmas. They are designed to be horrible to work at and horrible to shop at, the entire business model is sheer supply and demand. Now they’re crying when that works against them? Get the ****.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How about closing the High Street to traffic and making them proper streets again?

Glasgow's main shopping streets are pedestrianised, I can't imagine how awful the experience would be with buses and cars thundering past.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think quite a lot of high streets are pedestrianised tbh. Most of the ones I am familiar with anyway. Or at least they are at busy times etc.

cpr

How about closing the High Street to traffic and making them proper streets again?

Glasgow's main shopping streets are pedestrianised, I can't imagine how awful the experience would be with buses and cars thundering past.
The council have been trying to sneak in entire pedestrianisation for years here. Already got Market Street as the main shopping bit which is pedestrianised. Its a shame cars aren't allowed, as I'd happily run over every **** on it. It's basically impossible to walk down now thanks to people not looking where they are going, and stupid street 'performers' (oh look, another wonderwall cover) and blokes hawking mobile phone covers.
A few years back Balfour Beatty had to basically dig up the entirety of Deansgate to relay some piping, the council asked them to use green tarmac on the sly when they resurfaced after..... In the end the council have opted for blocking one end off to try and limit traffic

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Preston high street had just been pedestrianised when I went there a few years ago iirc. A truly sad place. Everything just boarded up. Fortunately didn't get the job I had interviewed for.

That said. A 5 bedroom house in Preston costs the same as my 2 bed flat down here. Annoying.