• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Save the High Street

Uppercut

I think in the major cities high streets will improve, because shops need to give people a reason to come in beyond ‘we sell the stuff you need’. A lot of medium sized towns could go into recession because very little online industry will be based there, and that’s never good for high streets.

fredfertang

I went into House of Fraser today for the first in about 30 years - hadn't changed at all really, which I suppose is the point

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Preston high street had just been pedestrianised when I went there a few years ago iirc. A truly sad place. Everything just boarded up. Fortunately didn't get the job I had interviewed for.

That said. A 5 bedroom house in Preston costs the same as my 2 bed flat down here. Annoying.
Went to Preston recently, and they've done a great job with the town centre - maybe being December and Christmas stuff around helped, but everyone thought that it was quite nice.

cpr

Preston high street had just been pedestrianised when I went there a few years ago iirc. A truly sad place. Everything just boarded up. Fortunately didn't get the job I had interviewed for.

That said. A 5 bedroom house in Preston costs the same as my 2 bed flat down here. Annoying.
I don't think anyone told the locals its been pedestrianised, as random people just drive down it anyway. Very nearly bought a house when I was working up there because of how cheap they are, but I'm far too snobbish to go live in such slums.
Having said that, when I was working in Preston I turned down a big promotion because it'd mean moving to Reading, probably around the same time you were turning down the move north.

Groundking

As long as high end audio places and book stores survive the rest can get stuffed, absolutely pointless in the days of online shopping. Clothes stores will always be a thing IMO.

Burgey

I originally thought this thread was referring to some threat to Nimbin’s main drag.