• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Save the High Street

Niall

I don't know the numbers with book stores v cd stories, but one of the advantages book stores have is people genuinely love having the physical version of a book over cumbersome CDS. They definitely have a brighter future than the likes of HMV.

With pubs, the ones that have adapted to modern times will survive,e,g good food and promotional events to get younger people in.

Pothas

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of that. I've struggled to find many decent military theory books at Waterstones other than several editions of Sun Tzu and the occasional abridged version of Clausewitz. The likes of Mao's and Guevara's guerrilla warfare writings don't get a look in. That actually forced me to get Mao's writings from the internet.
Yeah well we do actually have to stock stuff that people will buy on a regular basis. Obviously you do get the occasional huge bookshop that can do that sort of thing but the rest of us are working with the space we have. That does not mean that we can't stock interesting books, it is a constant challenge getting the balance right and it actually one of the more enjoyable things about managing a shop. It is impossible for us to compete with amazon on range for obvious reasons, of course we could order that book in for you but totally recognise that most people are not going to take that option when it is so easy to get it online.

Pothas

I would be incredibly sad for bookshops to go actually. They are essentially the only type of shop I enjoy visiting. I don't group them together with the likes of HMV either, as although they both share a business model which at its core involves something that is now available in digital format in analogue form, I really do not like reading things on screen. Similarly, when I buy a book, I do not but it just for the experience of reading it, if that makes sense. They are things I like to collect, and I become attached to specific copies. Never feel like that with films and music. But then I have never really had much of a proclivity for either. Put alternatively, I can see why there would be a demand for book retail to live on, whereas the days of CDs and DVDs as a physical medium are totally toast. Throwaway fashion, or whatever it is called.

The problem I often find with book shops these days, however, is that often they are just simply not big enough to accommodate specific demand, even for fairly mainstream titles. I went all over Basingstoke the other day for instance looking for somewhere that sold the sixth book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Hard to think of a more mainstream author really, but nowhere had it, so I resorted to ordering it online instead.

Anyway, on the subject of genuinely awful high street things. How has WHSmith not gone under yet? Truly dreadful establishment. And it always has been.
Yeah I do think there are enough people that feel differently about books for there to be a space for us but there are obviously huge challenges.

Smiths are genuinely astonishingly bad, I mean the station ones serve some sort of purpose I suppose but their actual high street shops. No idea.

Pothas

With pubs, the ones that have adapted to modern times will survive,e,g good food and promotional events to get younger people in.
They certainly have to do something well. Some of my favourite pubs don't serve food at all but they focus on having a fantastic range of good beer.

fredfertang

Bookshops are unique in that not only do their staff not hassle you, but when you do want their assistance you can always find one and they are helpful (and genuinely seem interested in being so)

The demise of second hand bookshops on the other hand continues apace, which is very sad but inevitable given the absence of any sort of business acumen amongst the owners

andmark

Yeah well we do actually have to stock stuff that people will buy on a regular basis. Obviously you do get the occasional huge bookshop that can do that sort of thing but the rest of us are working with the space we have. That does not mean that we can't stock interesting books, it is a constant challenge getting the balance right and it actually one of the more enjoyable things about managing a shop. It is impossible for us to compete with amazon on range for obvious reasons, of course we could order that book in for you but totally recognise that most people are not going to take that option when it is so easy to get it online.
Oh yeah, I know there's the whole supply and demand issue, but like there were three or four editions of The Art of War. This could have been remedied with say two editions (an annotated and un-annotated version) and Guevara's "Guerrilla Warfare" which would surely sell given the author and relevance of the topic.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bookshops are unique in that not only do their staff not hassle you, but when you do want their assistance you can always find one and they are helpful (and genuinely seem interested in being so)

The demise of second hand bookshops on the other hand continues apace, which is very sad but inevitable given the absence of any sort of business acumen amongst the owners
Did you ever go to that one in Newbury, Fred? Was down a little road off the high street. Once you were inside you could barely move because there were books everywhere. It was great. But I rather suspect it is no longer there, sadly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I do think there are enough people that feel differently about books for there to be a space for us but there are obviously huge challenges.

Smiths are genuinely astonishingly bad, I mean the station ones serve some sort of purpose I suppose but their actual high street shops. No idea.
Haha I think we have had this conversation before, but this is exactly the point. What is it even meant to be? I just do not understand that shop. Seems to be trying to be a Jack of all trades, but just does everything really badly and at a higher price than all its competitors (and not even it's online competitors).

I hate the way they try and pawn off random crap on you at the till as well.

"Would you like 2 massive chocolate bars for a fiver with your packet of biros?"

"No I bloody wouldn't"

andmark

Haha I think we have had this conversation before, but this is exactly the point. What is it even meant to be? I just do not understand that shop. Seems to be trying to be a Jack of all trades, but just does everything really badly and at a higher price than all its competitors (and not even it's online competitors).

I hate the way they try and pawn off random crap on you at the till as well.

"Would you like 2 massive chocolate bars for a fiver with your packet of biros?"

"No I bloody wouldn't"
Haha yes. I was tempted to buy the father an Ian Botham DVD from WH Smith once but couldn't really afford it, so hid it behind some toys on a shelf or something. I went back a few months later and it was still there so I bought it.

fredfertang

Did you ever go to that one in Newbury, Fred? Was down a little road off the high street. Once you were inside you could barely move because there were books everywhere. It was great. But I rather suspect it is no longer there, sadly.
Invicta?

Yes went there often - if you were a regular they'd let you go and look at the reserve stock next door and that was even more chaotic - sadly it's been gone about five years now

Bijed

I don't know the numbers with book stores v cd stories, but one of the advantages book stores have is people genuinely love having the physical version of a book over cumbersome CDS. They definitely have a brighter future than the likes of HMV.
I dunno. I mean, I'm fully on board with physical books being a far better medium than e-books, but since you can just order the physical books online anyway I'm not sure it is such a huge positive for the future of book shops.

Not that I don't find it sad. Used to love going into Waterstones as a child to pick up the latest (reprinted) Fighting Fantasy gamebook and even moreso as a teenager trawling second hand bookshops for the many which were published in the 80s and 90s and never got a rerun.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Invicta?

Yes went there often - if you were a regular they'd let you go and look at the reserve stock next door and that was even more chaotic - sadly it's been gone about five years now
Yeah, we would go there after school occasionally. Always fun.

Don't think I ever actually bought anything from there though, sadly. Rather regret it now.

Last edited:

Burgey

We have a pretty good High Street here, and it’s handy for fresh food (though we order a lot of that online and have it delivered) and for the cafes and restaurants. There aren’t as many boutiques as there used to be, owing mostly to the growth in online shopping I suppose.

Pubs are even closing down a bit here, which has the most pubs per square yard of any suburb in Australia. Fmd the town hall hotel closed down and they made it a ****ing wellness centre. Isn’t that what a pub is ffs?

cpr

I think the bookstores big advantage over the music store is that there's not really an online service that plays you the blurbs of popular authors so you can order a title from online listening. Physically seeing the books and the recommendations is a bigger advantage than looking at CD cases.

HMV deserves to die on its arse because it's taken the one vital lifeline physical music has - the resurgence of vinyl - and priced it ridiculously. Want that copy of Appetite for Destruction thats £3 on CD? That'll be £25 please, now would you also like 4 funko pops and a copy of Ernest Saves Christmas? Yes, I'm aware it's March.....

I think there is a future for carefully selected high street stores, ones that understand the area and aim for a gap in the market, rather than just parachuting their package into a town and hoping for the best. If I head into my home town Urmston, it seems to be doing really well at the moment. Most units tend to be artsy **** bars and cafes, but that's what the area is demanding. The shopping bit has your usuals (Aldi, Costa etc) but a few local companies are doing pretty well. If I had the capital I'd be very tempted to open a mens clothes shop there, as it's screaming out for something that caters to the 40+ market - The mid sized chains won't come in because the Trafford Centre is only a mile away, but the middle aged blokes don't want the hassle of that place when all they'd go to is M&S/Debenhams or John Lewis. As andmark states, clothes tend to be something people want to try first (especially the 40+ bloke market...)

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't the picture wrt bookstores more complicated than the "internet is killing them" narrative? The big, soulless megachains are certainly getting slaughtered, but smaller and independent stores seem to be thriving, indeed booming in some parts

Burgey

Yeah we have a couple up on Darling Street across the road from each other and they’re doing really well.

Flem274*

123/5
Not main street stuff but rotary charity book sales are always packed and amazing - 20 bucks NZ can easily net 10-15 books, many of which in my case are obscure titles you'd never get in a major chain

Pothas

Yeah, we would go there after school occasionally. Always fun.

Don't think I ever actually bought anything from there though, sadly. Rather regret it now.
I had totally forgotten about this place. Bought quite a few things from there.