• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shootings in Utrecht, Netherlands

andmark

There's an on-going situation where a gunman seems to have targeted a tram in the Netherlands. Depressing stuff.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Think we need a new thread here.

What a wonderful world we live in :(

Although so far I'm only reading attacks on a tram?

andmark

Think we need a new thread here.

What a wonderful world we live in :(

Although so far I'm only reading attacks on a tram?
Yeah, it does seem to have been a tram rather than mosques- I got confused when the news said mosques had been told by police to shut.

Spark

Global Moderator
Turkish-born man identified as the suspect.

The Turkish government's reaction to Christchurch has been, uh, interesting (read: repehensible) and the AKP hold over Turkish communities throughout Europe is strong...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The mayor just announced three deaths and nine further casualties, and that everyone in the city should remain indoors unless necessary.

Spark

Global Moderator
Seriously, if there turns out to be any evidence whatsoever that Erdogan's extraordinarily inflammatory exploitation of Christchurch to whip up a frenzy has triggered this...

Agent Nationaux

Seriously, if there turns out to be any evidence whatsoever that Erdogan's extraordinarily inflammatory exploitation of Christchurch to whip up a frenzy has triggered this...
Erdogan’s response to the NZ shooting has been disgusting. He’s used it to his own advantage by broadcasting the video to a live audience and has incited hatred by saying that ‘they want to remove Turks’.

Spark

Global Moderator
It sounds now like this was a domestic violence incident in full public view: the primary victim was his ex-partner the accuser in a rape case against him.

So a somewhat different stain of awful.

Starfighter

I saw last night that Turkish media, within 1 1/2 hours, had already made up their mind on who it was, a guy with an interesting internet presence but probably not anywhere near there.

Stapel

It sounds now like this was a domestic violence incident in full public view: the primary victim was his ex-partner the accuser in a rape case against him.

So a somewhat different stain of awful.
I haven't seen proper confirmation of that. But it seems there are no reasons to think the gunman had terrorist motives. He is a known "habitual offender" though.

Spark

Global Moderator
I haven't seen proper confirmation of that. But it seems there are no reasons to think the gunman had terrorist motives. He is a known "habitual offender" though.
I don't remember the source but it does seem very much like all the information is pointing to one person being specifically targeted. Apparently the other victims are people who tried to help her after she had been shot :(

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The police just announced the ages and residences of the victims, as far as they know there is no relation between the suspect(s) and the victims. Seems like the rumours yesterday were forum speculation gone wild (possibly due to him being a known figure in town)

Spark

Global Moderator
The police just announced the ages and residences of the victims, as far as they know there is no relation between the suspect(s) and the victims. Seems like the rumours yesterday were forum speculation gone wild (possibly due to him being a known figure in town)
They aren't ruling out a domestic incident though. We'll see