• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surrogacy contracts

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is that 40 % babies per attempt, or 40 % babies without congenital disease?

(Yes, yes, I know the parents have the right to make a baby if they can't do it in the bed or in the forest.)
I think they tend to be on average as healthy as normal babies because they only attempt to implant successful embryos.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think they tend to be on average as healthy as normal babies because they only attempt to implant successful embryos.
Yeah, typically the big issue is getting through the first trimester without any problems. I've almost never heard of any health issues as a direct result of IVF. Usually, you'll have health effects due to the babies being born premature because they are fraternal twins from the IVF process. And the success rate for the process to take effect is improving every year as the medical community keeps coming up with better ways to improve the process.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's not "very low", just low. 40% for under 35.
Depends upon region I guess.

In the UK the rate of success for under 35 is less than 30%, which is at least low, if not very low.

And then only just over 20% for those over 35. Less than 10% for over 40 and less than 5% for over 42.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah it costs a bomb. Not cheap. Generates plenty of moaning about NHS funding going towards it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah must be similar here. There are some qualifications, but generally it is available on the NHS here. As previously, however, this makes lots of people very salty on the "these people aren't sick, why should my taxes be spent on giving them this treatment?" basis.

StephenZA

Yeah must be similar here. There are some qualifications, but generally it is available on the NHS here. As previously, however, this makes lots of people very salty on the "these people aren't sick, why should my taxes be spent on giving them this treatment?" basis.
Restrictions if the women is over 40, I believe... friend went for IVF when she was 41 or so, and had to go private, cost £40 000 before she fell pregnant. But beautiful daughter.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I believe in the US, the biological parents WOULD be able to obtain custody over the surrogate mother.

EDIT: Looking this up, perhaps I am wrong about this. It's difficult to tell. I don't think there have been many cases like this.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hey, I'm not a communist or a libertarian. I can live in the real world and adjust my views when they turn out to inconsistent with reality. :ph34r: :p

cpr

That doesn't really answer my question though. What's the going rate? If the surrogate parents have invested significant money and time into this exercise, then the bargain should be kept. Market forces have set a price for the property in question, and how often are we lectured to around these parts that nothing is more important than the free market and individual property rights?

I've got a feeling that one of the caveats over here is you can't accept payment for surrogacy, probably to prevent a 'I paid for this baby scenario'

Communist ******s 1 - 0 Free Market Pussies

---
Edit: Ah yes, the slang for the female genitalia is fine, just not the medical term.

the big bambino

I believe in the US, the biological parents WOULD be able to obtain custody over the surrogate mother.

EDIT: Looking this up, perhaps I am wrong about this. It's difficult to tell. I don't think there have been many cases like this.
You think? It’s almost as if people who invest large amounts of money and endure the consequent emotional stress would take the precaution of having their rights protected.