• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Redbacks

I think Chalmers (non)budget response was on the money, not that the ABC seemed to care enough to broadcast it.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

really cool that we get to sit through the upcoming lionisation and years of “i may not have agreed with everything he said but at least he spoke what was on his mind” about someone who literally incited a race riot

Burgey

He will still be on Sky and in the Sunday Torygraph. The cancer is yet to be fully excised.

Overall, I hope he has a short retirement

Gnske

really cool that we get to sit through the upcoming lionisation and years of “i may not have agreed with everything he said but at least he spoke what was on his mind” about someone who literally incited a race riot
Does Cronulla still give off those vibes of 15 years past?

Gnske

i live in the blue mountains so most people here are too stoned to be bigoted

(un?)fortunately that’s not my scene all that stuff
5g going to mind control us vibe of stoned I hope.

Only went through there for the first time in March, you got some nice vistas up there my man. Was expecting it all to be filthy Queensland bush vibes.

Shady Slim

5g going to mind control us vibe of stoned I hope.

Only went through there for the first time in March, you got some nice vistas up there my man. Was expecting it all to be filthy Queensland bush vibes.
again really not my scene but tbf most of them are SCC types, there is a fella named art who’s on the last train home up the mountain normally, lives out in blackheath but trains it to the city every morning to teach ESL to adults, often hits on his students and says it’s in a professional capacity, and plays the violin on the train when he’s not smoking up between the carriages or writing stream of consciousness poetry

Shady Slim

drop in the unemployment rate far smaller than the estimated pegged it at and i'm sure the coalition will point to jobkeeper and jobseeker as big wins for them in keeping the economy afloat (and while i do really hate that jobkeeper doesn't extend to a lot of casuals and arts and entertainment workers, throwing money at the economy obvs will help just ask kevin rudd, so i don't doubt jobkeeper and the jobseeker doubling are a great policy)

but it does bury the lede because the drop in participation rate of 3%ish filters out to another 4.5%ish or so in real unemployment when you account for that, so looking only at unemployment does mask the extent to which our economy has been hit by the shock

Burgey

again really not my scene but tbf most of them are SCC types, there is a fella named art who’s on the last train home up the mountain normally, lives out in blackheath but trains it to the city every morning to teach ESL to adults, often hits on his students and says it’s in a professional capacity, and plays the violin on the train when he’s not smoking up between the carriages or writing stream of consciousness poetry
That guy is the most Blue Mountains person in the world.

Gnske

Sounds like a Southern Cross Uni psych lecturer, good bloke.

You would be so at home at Byron.

Redbacks

drop in the unemployment rate far smaller than the estimated pegged it at and i'm sure the coalition will point to jobkeeper and jobseeker as big wins for them in keeping the economy afloat (and while i do really hate that jobkeeper doesn't extend to a lot of casuals and arts and entertainment workers, throwing money at the economy obvs will help just ask kevin rudd, so i don't doubt jobkeeper and the jobseeker doubling are a great policy)

but it does bury the lede because the drop in participation rate of 3%ish filters out to another 4.5%ish or so in real unemployment when you account for that, so looking only at unemployment does mask the extent to which our economy has been hit by the shock
I'm reading the comments of an economist now who thinks it really translates to 8-9% as the underemployment number has gone up 4.9% to add to the 2.4% drop in participation rate the ABS have calculated. Also the ABS are saying 8% drop in hours worked. Hopefully with some small openings and school in NSW a few hundred thousands jobs come back.

I remember getting screwed hard after graduating just as the GFC hit. Had to take a career step sideways and didn't get back to doing what I really wanted for another 5 years.

Shady Slim

Sounds like a Southern Cross Uni psych lecturer, good bloke.

You would be so at home at Byron.
as nice as it is here, scenic, quaint, and you can smile at people on the street without getting yourself shanked, i plan on selling out tbh lol

if i am lucky/good enough then i’d hope to live around either the brighton area or the (burge about to be righteously smug) balmain area, both close to the city and both labor heartland so you know they’re filled with decent people, and both with strong enough natural beauty to tick that box too

Burgey

Mate, um, we have certain standards around here. Keep working hard and hopefully one day your dream will come true

Burgey

How funny is it watching these ****s scramble to defend businesses who have been treating full time workers as casuals. God they're a pack of ****s.

Starfighter

Gee the Property Council's ask for a direct subsidy to one the most generously treated industries. Rent seeking at its finest. Not to mention the efforts of the NSW government, going to buy up all the apartments that supply and demand couldn't sell thus keeping prices high and directly subsidising developers (yes I know they could use them for public housing, but if so they should buy them at big - maybe 20% - discount) and accommodating international students on the taxpayer's dollar while Australians are still not allowed to travel overseas (make them pay for it themselves).

Last edited:

Shady Slim

How funny is it watching these ****s scramble to defend businesses who have been treating full time workers as casuals. God they're a pack of ****s.
came here to post about this; had a bit of a leaf through the judgement today and really the only coherent argument you can make against it is “i’m sociopathic and hate workers”, which to the surprise of precisely nobody with a brain made of something other than soup, the government has started to hitch their wagon to

i thought the suggestion by the mining group that if they’re treated as full time then casual loading must be returned for TFC was quite the slick trick and i’m happy the court saw through it here - because it’s an argument that has a lot of populist appeal given Gaz Average knows **** all about contracts (understandably), so yeah i’m glad it didn’t get up. but we’ve got a bloody legislative battle ahead of us now

Burgey

So the govt has underestimated the size of its own job keeper stimulus by the small amount of $60 billion. Apparently an “admin error” led to treasury saying it was worth $130 billion when in fact its $70 billion. Which is odd, as the $130 billion number was in the announcementaboht two months ago, yet the alleged “error” apparently wasn’t discovered til this week.

Shambles. They used the larger number as a pretext for limiting the coverage of the package, and thousands of ppl haven’t got it as a result. ****s.

Shady Slim

from what i understand of the clerical error itself it’s even funnier; on account of jobkeeper being $1500 a fortnight, a bunch of workers went down in the system as 1500 workers, and as such, 1500 instalments of the jobkeeper instead of the one

really hoping that the good guys buck up and use this to continue forcing the issue about casual workers and arts and entertainment workers being covered and it looks like we will thankfully