• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

grecian

About time the left started dealing with its anti-Semitic problem.
It's a problem that has been worrying for quite some time. It's all very well saying you don't believe in the Isreali governments way of doing things, but as said by many you can only really make a big deal of these things if you criticize just as vocally all the other awful regimes.

It's hypocrisy to call out the right for reactionary stories about other faiths, when you do the same in this regard.

All very worrying how the World is just becoming so more divisive, and it's hard to see it stopping anytime soon.

fredfertang

Pothas

Corbyn talking about people being 'nervous about the strength of the Labour party' was just embarrassing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It would be a much better article if he set out both sides of the debate - I'm happy to accept that there are good reasons for leaving, but in my view they are outweighed by the arguments in favour of staying in
What I find amusing and confusing in equal measure is that the outers are exactly the folk who would have campaigned for a No vote in the Scottish Referendum, while up here those who campaigned passionately for leaving the Union are now campaigning for a Remain vote.

StephenZA

It would be a much better article if he set out both sides of the debate - I'm happy to accept that there are good reasons for leaving, but in my view they are outweighed by the arguments in favour of staying in
Oh I agree, I was just trying to show that that their are some decent intelligent people campaigning for a leave vote. Even if they are few and far between.

Here are some good articles from the remainers if you are really interested.
https://theconversation.com/how-brexit-could-hurt-uk-us-trade-58185
https://theconversation.com/fact-check-do-the-treasurys-brexit-numbers-add-up-58086
https://theconversation.com/how-brexit-would-affect-uk-financial-services-50426

You may notice I tend to use theconversation as my go to 'newspaper'... I am not keen on most UK newspapers as there is just to much tabloidism and bias. Which is less in those articles given.

The problem with the economic issue is that leaving will certainly have a huge economic impact on the UK, EU and the world, and uncertainty is the big evil in economics. It is easier (if not totally true) to quantity what not being in the EU will do economically than what will happen if the UK leave. Personally I don`t think that leaving or staying in the EU will drastically change the long term economics of the UK. But leaving will hurt the short term economics of the country.

grecian

but Corbyn is God.
I agree, but honestly, unless you were pre-disposed to dislike him before this, (which practically everyone on this forum, and at times it seems the World) he's done little wrong here, he's suspended the idiot Livingstone, who BTW has not actually got any official role in Labour, other then being on the NEC.

Of course Labour are still split down the middle so any arguments are going to make divisions look big whatever Corbyn says or does.

Labour being self-destructive in the face of a horrible Tory government is nothing new though I'm afraid, in the 80's they literally split in two, and the arguments were so acrimonious as to make all this seem tame.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

It's a problem that has been worrying for quite some time. It's all very well saying you don't believe in the Isreali governments way of doing things, but as said by many you can only really make a big deal of these things if you criticize just as vocally all the other awful regimes
I personally think it's perfectly legitimate to hold the Israeli government to a higher standard than other "awful regimes", mainly because Israel receives vastly more Western support than those other regimes. Also, what "awful regimes" are people failing to mention? I'm pretty sure I remember some pretty severe rebuking of the former Sri Lankan president, critique of Frank Bananarama in Fiji. Do we need an exhaustive list and equal shares to each in order to point out that the building of walls and settlements in occupied territory is probably a bad idea?

Ken Livingstone is a pillock; he always has been and always will be. His comments were bloody stupid if not anti-Semitic, but there's a group out there who will leverage such stupidity to try and shut down any sensible debate or criticism of the government policy of the Israeli state, and that's not on either.

Last edited:

grecian

I personally think it's perfectly legitimate to hold the Israeli government to a higher standard than other "awful regimes", mainly because Israel receives vastly more Western support than those other regimes. Also, what "awful regimes" are people failing to mention? I'm pretty sure I remember some pretty severe rebuking of the former Sri Lankan president, critique of Frank Bananarama in Fiji. Do we need an exhaustive list and equal shares to each in order to point out that the building of walls and settlements in occupied territory is probably a bad idea?

Ken Livingstone is a pillows; he always has been and always will be. His comments were bloody stupid if not anti-Semitic, but there's a group out there who will leverage such stupidity to try and shut down any sensible debate or criticism of the government policy of the Israeli state, and that's not on either.
I'm really talking about the section of people that spend an huge amount of time condemning Isreal and practically no-one else. They do very much exist. BTW I have no idea if Naz Shah is one of these people, never heard of her before a couple of weeks ago.

Pothas

I agree, but honestly, unless you were pre-disposed to dislike him before this, (which practically everyone on this forum, and at times it seems the World) he's done little wrong here, he's suspended the idiot Livingstone, who BTW has not actually got any official role in Labour, other then being on the NEC.

Of course Labour are still split down the middle so any arguments are going to make divisions look big whatever Corbyn says or does.

Labour being self-destructive in the face of a horrible Tory government is nothing new though I'm afraid, in the 80's they literally split in two, and the arguments were so acrimonious as to make all this seem tame.
Sure his actions have been fine on this, but it was the 'people are scared of Labour's strength' thing, it just sounds utterly delusional. It is something I would expect to hear from Farage.

Pothas

I'm really talking about the section of people that spend an huge amount of time condemning Isreal and practically no-one else. They do very much exist. BTW I have no idea if Naz Shah is one of these people, never heard of her before a couple of weeks ago.
Yeah and this whole thing did not start with someone 'pointing out that occupations are a bad idea' it started it with blatantly anti-Semitic posts on social media.

fredfertang

Indeed - the junior doctors may be lying of course, or even more remarkably Jeremy Hunt might be telling the truth, but whatever the reality it's difficult to see this being other than a lose/lose for the NHS and a win/win for just about everywhere else