• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Uppercut

I think he's a politician with little potential for negative shocks. Not being in government is a big advantage, he can't possibly make a blunder like Osborne's last budget. Plus he's had so many personal scandals that one more won't make any difference. So it's not that I think him winning the leadership is inevitable, I just can't think of what would stop it from happening.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah you can certainly make a rational case for it (not one I would agree with) but as you would expect the general level of debate has been pretty bad.
Yeah it really has. I don't know why it surprises me, because most political issues are debated extremely poorly on the whole, but it's really annoyed me.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think he's a politician with little potential for negative shocks. Not being in government is a big advantage, he can't possibly make a blunder like Osborne's last budget. Plus he's had so many personal scandals that one more won't make any difference. So it's not that I think him winning the leadership is inevitable, I just can't think of what would stop it from happening.
and they say conservatives are champions of Accountability.

Seriously the presence of Boris in serious politics infuriates me. It's not just about the opinions, the teflon-like buffoonery of the man grinds my gears.

wpdavid

Seriously the presence of Boris in serious politics infuriates me. It's not just about the opinions, the teflon-like buffoonery of the man grinds my gears.
That and the blatant disregard for the facts of almost every issue he finds himself discussing.

And has already been said, he'll probably be our next PM, which is beyond astonishing.

Pothas

There is certainly not a strong case when it comes to security if this Newsnight is anything to go by.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What is the strong case for Brexit that isn't being made?
You've said it before, the whole Brexit campaign is basically fronted by the least trustworthy people imaginable. That in itself weakens the whole thing from the very off.

In any event, what I was thinking at in this instance, is that the whole "Better in" argument appears to be premised on "ends justifies the means" type logic, which I am somewhat dubious about. I'd probably be better off if I robbed a bank for instance. I'm just somewhat surprised this hasn't been challenged more rigorously.

StephenZA

I`m waiting for the day that they have Corbyn and Boris on the stage debating who is next leader of the country... could probably invite the Official Monster Raving Loony Party without it looking to out of place.

Uppercut

You've said it before, the whole Brexit campaign is basically fronted by the least trustworthy people imaginable. That in itself weakens the whole thing from the very off.

In any event, what I was thinking at in this instance, is that the whole "Better in" argument appears to be premised on "ends justifies the means" type logic, which I am somewhat dubious about. I'd probably be better off if I robbed a bank for instance. I'm just somewhat surprised this hasn't been challenged more rigorously.
I think Remain are making a defensive argument because it's so important to frame the question as "In vs. Out?" rather than "EU good or EU bad?" It's not a good time to be speaking passionately in favour of federalism. Although I do wonder whether it will cement Britain's lack of identification with the rest of Europe, like the Scottish referendum did for their identification with the UK.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Remain are making a defensive argument because it's so important to frame the question as "In vs. Out?" rather than "EU good or EU bad?" It's not a good time to be speaking passionately in favour of federalism. Although I do wonder whether it will cement Britain's lack of identification with the rest of Europe, like the Scottish referendum did for their identification with the UK.
Are these questions really mutually exclusive though? I'd contend that they probably aren't, and that's irrespective of my own views on what the answer to either might be.

Uppercut

Are these questions really mutually exclusive though? I'd contend that they probably aren't, and that's irrespective of my own views on what the answer to either might be.
Of course they're not mutually exclusive? I don't think I really follow your point there. I just meant that if they try to make a strong positive case for the EU, people who don't buy it might vote Leave. When all they really had to do was point out how bad the risk-reward equation for leaving is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Of course they're not mutually exclusive? I don't think I really follow your point there. I just meant that if they try to make a strong positive case for the EU, people who don't buy it might vote Leave. When all they really had to do was point out how bad the risk-reward equation for leaving is.
I suppose that's true, but it strikes me that this is a disingenuous and intellectually dishonest way of making a point, because a lot of relevant information has been deliberately omitted. Starting with "better in" type arguments is to make the assumption that the EU itself is normatively and ethically sound, and there are an abundance of reasons which indicate it might not be.

Uppercut

I suppose that's true, but it strikes me that this is a disingenuous and intellectually dishonest way of making a point, because a lot of relevant information has been deliberately omitted. Starting with "better in" type arguments is to make the assumption that the EU itself is normatively and ethically sound, and there are an abundance of reasons which indicate it might not be.
What argument would you make for it being ethically unsound?

Last edited:

Stapel

One of the main and most general ones for me is the fact that EU legislation can only ever be initiated by non-elected bureaucrats.
Though there is some nuance to that, it bites me too. The rotten thing, though, is that all over Europe the eurosceptics are vehemently against solving this, whereas the pro-EU bunch actually are for it. It's really a ****ed up situation.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Though there is some nuance to that, it bites me too. The rotten thing, though, is that all over Europe the eurosceptics are vehemently against solving this, whereas the pro-EU bunch actually are for it. It's really a ****ed up situation.
Is there?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah. These bureaucrats are actually appointed by politicians. I won't take the bait and actually defend it, but it they are the result of political process.

Focus on the some, rather than the nuance :) .
Oh right yeah, fair enough, I thought you were addressing the point about the Commission being the only body that could initiate new legislation.