• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Job Tips, Advice, Comiserations and Pitfalls Thread

Top_Cat

Well this has happened. They offered me the job yesterday, and I mentioned that since the contract was only for six months with no permanent spot guaranteed, I'd wait till I finished this other process and then see where I stand. They were all good with that, but then they called me back today and said they'd spoken to management and have arranged for it to be a permanent job instead of just six months. Had a somewhat awkward phone call with me saying I still wanted to wait till next week especially since I've locked in this interview for next week. They agreed, but with less enthusiasm than before. Super awkward all round. Good news is it sounds like I've got a job either way I guess.
That's a tough spot. They clearly want you to work for them but will they be pissed because you didn't take immediately their generous offer or will they be impressed you stuck to your other committment? Clearly the answer is to go back to them in a week and ask for $10K/yr more.

andyc

That's a tough spot. They clearly want you to work for them but will they be pissed because you didn't take immediately their generous offer or will they be impressed you stuck to your other committment? Clearly the answer is to go back to them in a week and ask for $10K/yr more.
Yeah it was pretty tough. They definitely weren't super excited about the whole thing, but as you said he did actually mention that it was good that I was honouring the other obligation, even if he wasn't particularly enthused as he said it. It's only like four extra days until I can get back to them at least.

Last edited:

ripper868

Regained gainful employment. Well at least for the next month or so, but also through to 2nd round of interviews for an events gig that would kick ass, It's not sport but it's way more rewarding.

andyc

So on Tuesday I've got this other interview which I'm holding out on the other one for. It's an assessment day (in house), for a good six plus hours with about 10 of us going for 2 positions. Anyone have any experience with this sort of stuff?

Son Of Coco

Have job number 3 for the year. Am back teaching Saudi students as I found the opportunity to offend people with observations about my experiences teaching them too much to give up. It's also now a full-time contract for a year, so I'll actually get holidays and sick days and stuff (at least, it is for now, am suspicious of the TESOL industry and am yet to sign a contract).

Had a rather funny conversation with the uni when I told them I took the position and wouldn't be seeing out the last 2 weeks of my casual employment with them. They said it was 'disappointing' I was leaving early...this on the same day they'd sent out an email stating student numbers would drop by a third at the beginning of next year, indicating there wouldn't be as many teachers needed/hours available. Welcome to the world of casual employment, where you're expected to pass up a guarantee of work for a year because it benefits the company you're currently working for, who can offer you the next two weeks of work followed by a job hunt.

Pffffft.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Having said that, everyone that is currently unemployed/on summer break/looking for transition from part time to full time should hold off til after the Ashes :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So on Tuesday I've got this other interview which I'm holding out on the other one for. It's an assessment day (in house), for a good six plus hours with about 10 of us going for 2 positions. Anyone have any experience with this sort of stuff?
6 hours is fairly long, and these things range in terms of activities used to assess candidates, but you're almost guaranteed a group/team building task or a group interview. So don't yell at anyone and don't be a dick. Let the others hang themselves. You'll be surprised by how many people have the inability to work cohesively and politely in a team environment, even when being observed.

Burgey

Goes without saying but always be careful doing work for friends, or for people who come along with a mate/ relative who reckons they know everything about something they don't. It's very difficult.

Got a case at the moment for a woman who barely speaks a word of English and comes along with a friend who speaks good English and does a lot of work in her community. Nice bloke and seems to be well meaning, but he says "I've told X she's worth 1.2 million"

"What the **** did you say that for?"

"I've worked it out"

"Have you? Do tell"

Reckon he might have his cock in the till tbh, but it's not my place to say.

benchmark00

Christmas party this weekend. Always a fine line between milking your employer dry and not getting too blind.

andyc

Had the assessment day yesterday. They just called up this morning and offered me the gig, so am stoked. Now I've just gotta call these other guys and let them down...

Spikey

Had the assessment day yesterday. They just called up this morning and offered me the gig, so am stoked. Now I've just gotta call these other guys and let them down...
or you can accept both jobs and invite a camera crew to document your new life

Spikey

"You'll never get another job in this town!" - those guys after you ****ed them over. better make sure you never ever leave the 'assessment' job