• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The mouth breathing youtube media uh stars own crappy thread

Ausage

Why wouldn't Klein stick to the substance of the historical argument being made though? It's one I agree with completely as well.

EDIT: Also I can't really take this idea of Harris being some crusader against dog-whistling (which, let's be real, is essentially the accusation he's making against Klein, albeit not of the conventional sort) given a lot of his other work. He generally pushes hard for things to be taken exactly at face value, which is defensible only if consistent.
That's not the part of the argument Harris had an issue with (he agreed that the historic context was important). It was the "Sam Harris duped by pseudoscientist" bits that were his main sticking point.

Last edited:

hendrix

Sam Harris:
That's not the part of the argument Harris had an issue with (he agreed that the historic context was important). It was the "Sam Harris duped by pseudoscientist" bits that were his main sticking point.
It's splitting hairs though isn't it? Sam Harris is one step above a pseudoscientist. He's comfortable examining and critiquing non-scientific ideas, but he'll never examine and critique actual science - which is ridiculous given the sheer quantity of crap science out there. This is why he spouts off about the "scientifically proven" value of x and y, simply because a crappy paper in a crappy journal said so. Case in point - meditation.

Whether it is scientific or pseudoscientific it still requires critique. A sincere, responsible and diligent scientific communicator would use his actual scientific experience to critique it from a scientific perspective.

Unfortunately, Harris is either too unintelligent to properly understand the current research on genetics and evolution, or not willing to up-skill himself to where he is no longer ignorant.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Like how on earth is the person who tried to set up a loyal literal doxxing platform suddenly the darling of the right?

Spark

Global Moderator
That piece is exceptionally well-written. Takes are always so much better when they're accompanied by original research or insider knowledge.
Cathy Young is a good writer. One of the better ones going around conservative/libertarian circles imo.

Niall

Always had Owens down as a grifter ala Lahren etc. The fact she does work with Alec Jones and I think is still pally with Cernovich, what more evidence do you need?

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I have read that she has Koch brothers money behind her so with that sort of influence and the desperation on that side for a prominent non white person, she was always likely to break through.

Uppercut

Always had Owens down as a grifter ala Lahren etc. The fact she does work with Alec Jones and I think is still pally with Cernovich, what more evidence do you need?

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I have read that she has Koch brothers money behind her so with that sort of influence and the desperation on that side for a prominent non white person, she was always likely to break through.
Yeah it's always pretty funny how massively into affirmative action conservative pseudo-intellectuals are in practice.

Uppercut

EDIT....Rubin also got Koch brother money behind him also.
News last week that George Mason Uni gave the Kochs a say in academic hires in exchange for funding. Bleak af because I have a lot of time for some of the people working there. But it puts into perspective the notion that angry students are the real threat to academic freedom.

Ikki

The Problem with Candace Owens - Quillette

Why am I not remotely surprised that Rubin swallowed the transparent but ideologically convenient nonsense of an obvious fraud
:laugh: this article is a hit piece and has a ridiculous message "black woman who claims she is conservative isn't really conservative, she is just looking for shine"

And this is absurd as well:

“redpill moment”—right-wing Internet jargon
Yeah, really right-wing.

She's not the brightest bulb on the right and her website was a disaster idea, but at least she's not a leftist. I think she is genuine in that regard. Now she has to learn how deep the rabbit hole goes and she is self-admittedly still learning.

Last edited:

hendrix

:laugh: this article is a hit piece and has a ridiculous message "black woman who claims she is conservative isn't really conservative, she is just looking for shine"

And this is absurd as well:

Yeah, really right-wing.

She's not the brightest bulb on the right and her website was a disaster idea, but at least she's not a leftist. I think she is genuine in that regard. Now she has to learn how deep the rabbit hole goes and she is self-admittedly still learning.
did you even read the article?

Ausage

I've not seen much of Owens and her project looks like dogs breakfast, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the worst she said about Quinn and Harper was 100% true.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've not seen much of Owens and her project looks like dogs breakfast, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the worst she said about Quinn and Harper was 100% true.
There's no evidence that it is though. Lunatic claims of ginned up harassment were, I thought, meant to be taken with a hint of scepticism if there's nothing to support it.

She's a charlatan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like her latest "idea" is to threaten to sue publications who are critical of her out of existence. Wow so free speech, much freedom.

EDIT: "Defamation class action lawsuit" ffs. This is next level grift.

Last edited:

Niall

Like her latest "idea" is to threaten to sue publications who are critical of her out of existence. Wow so free speech, much freedom.
I'l give her credit for getting such a grovelling apology out of Jack anyhow at least:laugh:

Anyhow for those outside UK, Channel 4 youtube is always worth a follow. Got some good interviews there with plenty of people of different POVS.

I enjoyed there brief little segment about the radical right in Israel and how it seems to be getting a little more crazy which is somewhat worrying as if was never that normal:laugh: Obviously Trump figures there.

Ausage

There's no evidence that it is though. Lunatic claims of ginned up harassment were, I thought, meant to be taken with a hint of scepticism if there's nothing to support it.

She's a charlatan.
That's why I said "wouldn't be surprised". They epitomise the word charlatan and other AGG figures have been caught as the source of the abuse they received. They've also destroyed the start ups of their competitors and given they're serial doxxers I find it hard to believe their opposition to the project was anything other than self serving.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's why I said "wouldn't be surprised". They epitomise the word charlatan and other AGG figures have been caught as the source of the abuse they received. They've also destroyed the start ups of their competitors and given they're serial doxxers I find it hard to believe their opposition to the project was anything other than self serving.
That may be the case, but Candace Owens is suddenly one of the most prominent public figures on the right. I don't even remember the last time I heard about either Harper or Quinn that wasn't in reference to things they did a few years ago.

Ausage

That may be the case, but Candace Owens is suddenly one of the most prominent public figures on the right. I don't even remember the last time I heard about either Harper or Quinn that wasn't in reference to things they did a few years ago.
How are you measuring that? She doesn't appear in my bubble very often.

Spark

Global Moderator
How are you measuring that? She doesn't appear in my bubble very often.
2nd most public figure in a very prominent conservative org in TPUSA. I'm not judging her as just some random youtuber here, although obviously that's how she first made her "name". Plus, see the numbers she racks up on social media.