• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Indian Politics Thread

smalishah84

The Tiger King
btw what are the chances of this congress govt being re-elected?

Who seems to be the next best contention if they don't return?

Uppercut

That is true to some extent, but 3 situations -

You have just had someone burgle you, and the police refuse to register a FIR without a bribe immediately. What you do?

You are in the Bureaucracy and struggling to pay the bills, house installment etc.. and then you see 2 of your colleagues engaging in corruption, getting and getting away with it.what you do?

You are contesting a election for a Member of Parliament seat, your opponent is spending 20 crores putting hoarding everywhere and getting maximum exposure to a largely uninformed huge electorate. He plans to make this money back and more when he gets elected through corruption and you know that if you don't do that, you won't get elected. The pressure to do the same will be huge, won't it?
I'm thinking about what mechanisms they have in the UK to prevent the situation from reaching this point. If a policeman refused to investigate a burglary without a bribe it would cause a scandal in the popular press and a major political uproar. Maybe there's something to be learned from that? I'm not sure what, though. I agree with SS that the problem is cultural and not confined to politicians, but it seems unrealistic to suggest that the way to solve the problem is for individuals to just decide they're not going to take it anymore.

Uppercut

Teja.

Global Moderator
Where does the opposition to the retail FDI bill come from? From this side of the world it just looks like a ridiculously good idea.
Yeah, It totally is. However, The opposition parties here think it is their sacred duty to fight anything proposed by the govt. regardless of how beneficial it is.

Cevno

I am personally somewhat divided on it tbh. All for FDI but like M.S Swaminathan not sure whether we need it in retail.
It is a big source of unorganised self employment in the country(unlike any other economy in the world), and a possible streamlining of it could lead to some problems for sure unless the competition safeguards are built in and the mechanism's are fully prepared for it.
The manufacturing sector also needs to be protected from the Chinese to some extent, because India can't become as dependent as U.S.A on them.

Last edited:

Cevno

Yeah, It totally is. However, The opposition parties here think it is their sacred duty to fight anything proposed by the govt. regardless of how beneficial it is.
Love how the West Bengal parties right from Trinamool to Communist just oppose anything to do with America and reforms. Doesn't matter if they are in the same government coalition or not either.:laugh:

Tbh, many other sectors could have been reformed first where there is a broader consensus if there was need of FDI inflow in the country.Multi brand Retail has always been contentious(and not that big in terms of inflow either) and the opposition is sensing blood, so though it may be a clever strategy to deflect attention from other issues it was a unnecessary political risk to take right now.

Agree that opposition from the BJP is more opportunistic than ideological though, same as what Congress did at there time when they were a lot more reformist and right win than this government.

Last edited:

Cevno

btw what are the chances of this congress govt being re-elected?
If the Elections are right now, not that good at all, i would think. This government has been extremely poor on almost all counts.
But they have 2 years to go if nobody pulls the rug(Mamata Banerjee) and a new Gandhi to project.(i.e thrust on the country.:dry:)

Who seems to be the next best contention if they don't return?
The BJP led NDA coalition. Though, they themselves need to sort out their internal differences and leadership battle first.

Good article on BJP right now -
National Interest: Self-opposition party - Indian Express

Uppercut

I am personally somewhat divided on it tbh. All for FDI but like M.S Swaminathan not sure whether we need it in retail.
It is a big source of unorganised self employment in the country(unlike any other economy in the world), and a possible streamlining of it could lead to some problems for sure unless the competition safeguards are built in and the mechanism's are fully prepared for it.
The manufacturing sector also needs to be protected from the Chinese to some extent, because India can't become as dependent as U.S.A on them.
Hmm, it'll crash the retail price of food in a country that still has plenty of poverty. Seems strange that people still give a damn about stuff like dependency and the unorganised self-employed when the benefits are so huge.

G.I.Joe

The opposition is mainly from the middle men who benefit from merely existing in the supply chain. Cutting down the number of links in the chain, which is what FDI in retail will essentially achieve, puts them out of work. Consumers and farmers benefit from FDI in retail. Its just that the middle men are more vocal with their opposition.

Retail FDI was ?anti-national' for Congress in 2002

While BJP perhaps wanted FDI in retail when in government in 2002, the Congress in opposition was calling it anti-national. What a volte-face it has been either way.
Apparently the BJP commisioned a study immediately after the elections were over, and the commision recommended that retail FDI wouldn't be beneficial.

Cevno

S M Krishna, two ex-chief ministers face probe in mining scam - The Times of India

2G scam: Order on Subramanian Swamy's plea against Chidambaram on December 8

The noose tightens? 2 OF THE senior most ministers in the government.

I guess the Congress didn't think RTI through properly at the time?:p No wonder they are trying every discreet/overt attempt to weaken it.
And with being unable to do that, it is no surprise they also want to prepare the weakest lokpal possible and keep the CBI with them because a independent prosecutor/investigator on top of the RTI for information could prove absolutely lethal.

Sanz

That is true to some extent, but 3 situations -

You have just had someone burgle you, and the police refuse to register a FIR without a bribe immediately. What you do?

You are in the Bureaucracy and struggling to pay the bills, house installment etc.. and then you see 2 of your colleagues engaging in corruption, getting and getting away with it.what you do?
You do the right thing. I would rather not file the FIR with the police that is so corrupt that requires money from you to file a complaint. I just do not trust that Police to take action.

Cevno

I was making a broader point there tbh. I don't disagree with your response but that is no viable solution and therefore need for constant attempts and models to deal with the problem(though they won't solve everything obviously). And btw, those examples were more extreme instances too perhaps.

Cevno

Representative democracy can be such a ass sometimes.

Kapil Sibal got more abuse and more morphed pictures made of him and Sonia Gandhi yesterday, than ever before. #idiotkapilsibal was trending on twitter worldwide.:laugh:

No doubt these type of threats are a fallout from the Anna Hazare movement.