• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Pakistan Politics thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
Congratulations to PTI supporters. I’m so proud of Pakistanis in general for exercising their right to vote and braving hostile conditions to make it to the poling booths. It won’t shock anyone to know that I’m not thrilled with the results. I will pray that Imran proves me wrong, but I actually think this is a depressing turn of events. We now have a PM-elect that is as much answerable to his devoted followers, as he is to the Army (the real power) that got him elected. To say that he is a Taliban/extremist sympathizer is actually very generous. He outright embraced and aligned with them during this election campaign. To see Imran campaign on the “khatm-e-Nabuwat” issue (essentially a campaign to target and marginalize the country’s persecuted Ahmedi minority) was extremely disheartening. But hey, he will supposedly end all corruption in 90 days and bring massive amount of investment back to Pakistan (just don’t ask about the details of how he’ll achieve this). In his victory address to the nation, he talked about his inspiration and leader – Jinnah. Hate to break it to you Imran, but Jinnah would be horrified by the campaign you ran and the “electables” you welcomed in your party. Oh well, I didn’t really expect anything better.

P.S: He’s going to sack Najam Sethi and appoint Mohammad Sami to run PCB isn’t he?

Last edited:

trundler

They are in no way a minority. They've got a depressing amount of support. Roads blocked everywhere. Tomorrow schools and offices might be closed because of the protests.

trundler

I'd say people like Rizvi would form a third of the population whereas half of the population would passively support their ideals but perhaps be pissed at blocking roads and such. There was a lot of support for the previous dharna too. A substantial minority at the very least which far outweighs people like you and I.

andmark

Following this thread over the years gives me the instinct that it's not a tiny minority, even if not a majority. Depressing stuff.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
at least Imran coming up with the right messages.

It will be interesting if he actually carries out his threats if push comes to shove

andmark

Yeah, "'do not clash with the state [...] the state will fulfil its duty [and] protect people's properties and lives'" (quote from Dawn) is quite an ominous thing to say.

trundler

I don't have a lot of faith in him, with his history of backtracking and all. Him succumbing to pressure over Atif Mian's appointment sucked.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Yeah, "'do not clash with the state [...] the state will fulfil its duty [and] protect people's properties and lives'" (quote from Dawn) is quite an ominous thing to say.
Yeah it is, which is why I wonder if he will actually follow up if these groups decide to test him..if he doesn't then he will lose credibility really fast

ankitj

I just heard Imran Khan's statement. His appeal for peace is all well and good, but as an outsider I cringe at the statement overall. He is bragging about how insulting prophet can't be protected under free speech. Now it can be about taking one step at time but I hope it doesn't have the effect of hardening sentiments in favour of blasphemy laws.