• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Pakistan Politics thread

weldone

Certainly he sounded genuinely passionate in the part of the speech where he was talking about uplifting people from below poverty line. If that's just lip service and he doesn't mean any of it, then I must be so gullible that I can be fooled by any politician.

weldone

This trumps cornered tigers one for mine :p

But i agree, if he even manages a quarter of this, he will go down as Pakistan's greatest.

And not to forget, he has a pretty low bar set to clear
How are you celebrating today smali? Really happy for you - hope you have a blast this weekend

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Certainly he sounded genuinely passionate in the part of the speech where he was talking about uplifting people from below poverty line. If that's just lip service and he doesn't mean any of it, then I must be so gullible that I can be fooled by any politician.
No, you're absolutely right. That part about lifting people out of poverty seemed genuinely heartfelt. And in all my years of following Pakistan politics this is easily the best victory speech of any leader. I suppose he makes amends for his 1992 world cup speech now :p.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
How are you celebrating today smali? Really happy for you - hope you have a blast this weekend
Thank you weldone, I really have no idea how i will celebrate, but this is definitely a cause for celebration. I couldn't have been happier. As I was telling a friend of mine, that this may well be a false dawn, but at least for this moment in time Imran gives hope to a nation, and I really really hope that he is able to implement his agenda and turn things around for Pakistan.

social

It will be interesting to see how this affects relationships with India

I can well imagine some dialogue happening simply because India is a nation of cricket tragics and he’s Imran friggin Khan

Black_Warrior

From his speech

Seems fairly left leaning economically, though you could call it paying lip service. Not that I believe laissez faire capitalism is the way to go in developing nations anyway.
Yeah pretty much. As I said, the left/right - secular/islamist terms have a certain meaning in the way they are used in the Western discourse but they don't really have the same meaning within Pakistan and various parts of the Muslim world.

His economic policies, especially education/healthcare/taxation are 100% left leaning in the Western sense. But his speeches and campaigns are filled with religious and cricketing imagery. This is more a reflection of the country he is trying to reach out to - using examples and references they would connect with but the former will straight away term him an "Islamist" in the rest of the world.

vcs

It will be interesting to see how this affects relationships with India

I can well imagine some dialogue happening simply because India is a nation of cricket tragics and he’s Imran friggin Khan
Can't really see that making a big difference to the politicians TBH

Hope they do open up bilateral relations again though.

Xuhaib

another great news from the election Hafiz Saeed put up 265 candidates in this elections and all of them lost including his son. Now whether he should be allowed to roam freely and participate is another debate it atleast shows the public continue to reject these terrorist outfits

Xuhaib

Yeah pretty much. As I said, the left/right - secular/islamist terms have a certain meaning in the way they are used in the Western discourse but they don't really have the same meaning within Pakistan and various parts of the Muslim world.

His economic policies, especially education/healthcare/taxation are 100% left leaning in the Western sense. But his speeches and campaigns are filled with religious and cricketing imagery. This is more a reflection of the country he is trying to reach out to - using examples and references they would connect with but the former will straight away term him an "Islamist" in the rest of the world.
I get nervous when Imran Khan talks on matters such as economic policies I believe he has 2-3 ideals which he probably read during his student days and he wants to implement these theories without realizing how implementation of one can impact the other.

Good thing is he has marked Asad Umer as his Finance minister who is a very capable and competent guy but a capitalist through and through I am sure Asad Umer will develop a good team but his final economic policies will be quite different to what IK thinks and talks about in his interviews.

ankitj

don't agree that he is a terror sympathizer. He has his own views in how the taliban problem should be tackled based on his close interaction with the tribal areas people and their mindset, they are not popular with everyone but he has his way of justifying them

Yes his achievements are phenomenal not forgetting his philanthropist work which I believe is quite under rated. 3 world class cancer hospitals where poor are being treated for free is remarkable in itself for a country like Pakistan then the university for the underprivileged and then all the work done by Imran Khan foundation, truly an astonishing man.
He also supports blasphemy laws and thinks Feminism has degraded importance of motherhood. I do understand that it's possible to be well meaning while being connected to hard ground truths, but appearing very illiberal to people who are exposed to global trends in liberal thought. So I hope you are right.

Interesting. Though not exactly Imran level of achievements in sport. If Maradona or Zidane or Messi become head of state, it will be comparable I think.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Looks like he will fall short of gaining a clear majority of seats as the official results pour in. A coalition. That will certainly dampen some of the hope and his ability to deliver on some of his promises

OverratedSanity

He also supports blasphemy laws and thinks Feminism has degraded importance of motherhood. I do understand that it's possible to be well meaning while being connected to hard ground truths, but appearing very illiberal to people who are exposed to global trends in liberal thought. So I hope you are right.
This isn't an outrageous opinion tbf.

Xuhaib

Looks like he will fall short of gaining a clear majority of seats as the official results pour in. A coalition. That will certainly dampen some of the hope and his ability to deliver on some of his promises
that was always expected however it looks he will get atleast 120 which is more then expected. i think with support of independents he will be able to get majority without relying on crooks like MQM.

ankitj

It absolutely blows my mind that cricket is now only the second most notable thing about Imran Khan.
It's immense. I can't get my head around it. I have said before on this forum that if you dream to be a cricketer, you wouldn't want to dream to be anyone but Imran Khan. And then he goes on to do this!

smalishah84

The Tiger King
That was always going to be impossible. Even Nawaz got 128 seats last time and had to rely on some small parties like JUI-F to form a govt in the center. So even if Imran gets some where close to 120 he should be able to pull around 20 independents and small players like AML (Shaykh Rasheed), PML-Q(5 seats) and some independents to form the govt. What he doesn't want is to form a govt with any of PPP, N league, MQM, or JUI-F folks.

Xuhaib

article by Najam Sethi who is a career journalist and more important the current chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board it seems he is certain he will not be sticking around in the new setup

Welcome to NEW PAKISTAN!

Before the elections, every political party (except PTI), every foreign newspaper and every independent journalist had concluded that The Aliens, Khalai Makhluk, Agriculture Department, Miltablishment, Whatever, had conclusively pre-rigged the elections in an unprecedented manner. A day after the elections, every political party (except PTI), every foreign newspaper and every independent journalist has confirmed the finding. Before the elections, the Miltablishment, Supreme Court and Media were on trial. After the elections, the Election Commission of Pakistan has joined them in the dock.

The ECP claims that “the Remote Transmission System (RTS) broke down, hence the announcement of results was delayed by a few hours.” Was the RTS deliberately glitched because the Agriculture Department panicked when the opposition began to weigh in and something had to be done to get things back on track? Even if it was an unforeseen breakdown, this does not explain why the polling agents were kicked out while the votes were being tabulated or why such lengthy delays ensued.

In the next year or so, we should expect scores of petitions to be filed wherever the margin of PTI’s victory is less than 10,000 or thereabouts. Thousands of bags will be opened and hundreds of thousands of ballots recounted and thumbprints matched. Thousands of Form 45 will be scrutinized. But none of this huffing and puffing will bring Imran Khan’s house down because he is protected and propped up by the Miltablishment.

Imran Khan will be Prime Minister, he will choose the next President of Pakistan and the PTI will rule in Islamabad, KP and possibly even in Punjab while mounting stiff opposition to the PPP in Sindh. Why was such a sweeping victory required of it? What should we expect in the new Pakistan?

To be fair, Imran Khan cannot be denied his fair share of the voter, especially among the new youth, urbanising white-collar middle-class and rich. His prospects became brighter after he started to enroll “electables” regardless of the colour of their money or character. Equally, the PMLN, whatever its self-righteous claims or principles, was well and truly on a suicidal path. But electoral engineering on such a large scale was still necessary to provide legitimacy for a constitutional and political overhaul. What’s on the cards?

A State of Emergency could be imposed under the garb of financial necessity pinned to the alleged misdeeds of the previous regimes. The numbers in parliament will not be too difficult to get. Such an Emergency would restrict fundamental rights and pave the way for a witch hunt of political and media opponents in order to satisfy the bloodlust of the winners (IK has said he won’t do that), protect them from any potential buffeting by a disgruntled opposition and detract criticism from unpopular policy decisions or incompetent and corrupt mismanagement. If that happens, we should expect NAB, FIA, FBR and IB to get hyper active after all state institutions are brought on the same page.

The constitution may also be targeted for amendment. The 18th Amendment, for starters, has become irksome because it shaves the federal pool — which is required to pay for increasing defense expenditures and pensions— by devolving financial resources to the provinces. A need may also be felt to reduce the size and strength of Punjab in the scheme of things, especially since the development of a critical fissure in the historical pro-Miltablishment character of the province. Plans remain on the anvil to carve it up into three or more “units” that are politically more “manageable”.

But the “new dream team” that is lining up to run the “new Pakistan” will not find it easy going. The economy needs more than a shot in the arm. Hard times are upon us and the very middle-classes and rich that have catapulted Imran Khan to office will have to pay the price of their convictions. The value of their rupee is going to fall, so their everyday needs will become expensive; they will have to pay more indirect taxes and duties; and IMF structural reforms will dampen infrastructural growth and employment. This will give grist to the opposition, media and judiciary to stand up and create hurdles in his path.

Admittedly, the Miltablishment has stitched up an extraordinary political dispensation in difficult times. But, unlike Nawaz, the person they have chosen to lead it is strong-willed and unpredictable. In fact, Nawaz was eminently pliant. Yet, after a while, he felt compelled, given the nature of power, to try and be his own man. But this was unacceptable and he had to pay the price for even thinking such rash thoughts. Imran Khan, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. He may have embraced the Miltablishment as a tactical move but sooner rather than later he will begin to challenge the conventional wisdom of the national security state handed down to him. That’s when all bets will be off.

Meanwhile, let us not spoil their honeymoon with grudging digs and pin ******.

Black_Warrior

Still not as bad as the article he wrote on Imran during 1992 World Cup. This has never really been investigated beyond their current political rivalry but I am certain these two have a far deeper and older problem. This article is basically Sethi not even trying to acknowledge his new Boss and giving up.

That being said, I would like IK to not mess with PCB now, at least until the World Cup. These are crucial months ahead and if anything goes wrong, it will be blamed on IK sacking Sethi.

Keep Sethi for now.

Black_Warrior

That was always going to be impossible. Even Nawaz got 128 seats last time and had to rely on some small parties like JUI-F to form a govt in the center. So even if Imran gets some where close to 120 he should be able to pull around 20 independents and small players like AML (Shaykh Rasheed), PML-Q(5 seats) and some independents to form the govt. What he doesn't want is to form a govt with any of PPP, N league, MQM, or JUI-F folks.
No this is still a problem because

1) he will require help from the military in order to broker these deals
2) a coalition is why the civilian government is always shaky in this country and unable to challenge or do anything of substance. If he is always worried about the coalition falling apart, he will always be cautious.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
No this is still a problem because

1) he will require help from the military in order to broker these deals
2) a coalition is why the civilian government is always shaky in this country and unable to challenge or do anything of substance. If he is always worried about the coalition falling apart, he will always be cautious.
Imran has actually talked about this before. He said that if he comes to power and there are hurdles to the implementation of his agenda then he will call fresh elections and ask the people for a fresh, stronger, mandate. This is unheard of in Pakistan's history, and if Imran is able to pull it off, he will go down as a legend in Pakistan politics.