• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The One-State Solution

hendrix

It will happen in our lifetime.
Israel and Palestine.
An end to apartheid.
The opening of the world's biggest open-air prison.
A right to return.

Maybe in the next decade.

harsh.ag

Thought this was about how there will be no more death and everyone will just have one state................ alive.

Disappoint.

Daemon

I too cannot wait for a future where Solid State Drives are mandatory and not just an expensive add on

Black_Warrior

Yeah I've been hearing this a lot lately. The two state solution has become a joke now with increasing number of settlements. I get that. However, with all the problems and hurdles facing the two state solution, I just don't see how a one state solution could be the next step? Israel is an ideological state based on the concept of a Jewish state for Jewish people. A one state solution would make that untenable. So what would this new state be?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I've been hearing this a lot lately. The two state solution has become a joke now with increasing number of settlements. I get that. However, with all the problems and hurdles facing the two state solution, I just don't see how a one state solution could be the next step? Israel is an ideological state based on the concept of a Jewish state for Jewish people. A one state solution would make that untenable. So what would this new state be?
Extremely unstable and very depenent on force to remain stable.

so, maybe not that different,

cpr

A one state solution would certainly be a positive for the times when I have to follow my housemate into the bathroom the morning after a curry.

Gnske

Daily reminder without Hitler we wouldn't be in this sordid mess.

I'm glad my grandfather shot him in Berlin.

Ausage

There's a One State solution coming for far more places than a relatively small patch of land in the Middle East.

hendrix

Right. Unfortunately Zionism is the mainstream from what I can tell with a cursory viewing of Israeli media. Basically, anyone agreeing with the principles of a single state is classified as either extreme left or extreme right.

As for what it would look like - Maybe some type of MMP parliament?

Munificent_Fool

A binational state wold not be a bad result all things considered. I don't think it will happen. I still believe the two-state solution is possible.

Munificent_Fool

It's all up to the US. The closest we've come to a solution were on the rare occasions when they've threatened Israel finanacially and diplomatically. The president and congress could do more in a one hour conversation with Netanyahu than the entirety of this farcical peace process.

Withdraw to the 67' border, forfeit all ambitions of a Greater Israel, cease threatening yor neighbours, and aid Palestinian moderates in forming a contigous and sustainable state or your loan guarantees, diplomatic cover and weapons sales cease. Security council resolutions will be enforced. ICJ rulings will be respected and you will be on your own.

See how long the irredentists and expansionists last then.

Just a pleasant fantasy of mine...

Black_Warrior

A binational state wold not be a bad result all things considered. I don't think it will happen. I still believe the two-state solution is possible.
Certainly possible in theory. The settlements are illegal as per Israeli law and courts, not just international law. However implementation of laws requires action. The Netanyahu government's appeal is based on building more and more settlements and there is absolutely no real international pressure on Netanyahu to implement the law. So it requires USA, EU and other major countries to put pressure on him to do that which will require a massive shift in people's perception in USA, Australia, Canada, Europe. It's certainly changing than say 10 or 15 years ago but by and large, Palestinians are still considered the 'other' which ultimately influences where ordinary people's sympathies lie.

hendrix

If this is being reported correctly, then yeah this is apartheid, not really another way to describe it

Indipper

Definitely a totally smart idea. Not like there are bitter people and indoctrinated youths on both sides. Clearly it's not a priority to stop the cycle of violence that has been going since the beginning of the Jewish resettlement in the 19th century. Let's just make it one state cause that worked so well under the Ottomans or in Mandatory Palestine. And oh the two state solution, neither side wants it. Can't be good then, right? Right?