• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The reason the alt-right exists...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It annoys me that here in NZ, at least in urban areas, they are considered the good guys fighting the good fight. Meanwhile they're considered evil in rural areas for the wrong reasons.

Maybe if that bloody boat hadn't been sunk they wouldn't have the political and cultural acceptance they have here. Thanks France.
My friend circle generally has a lot of urban environmentalist leftie scum types and they all hate Greenpeace. The only people who seem to still hold them in good esteem in urban areas that I know of are affluent middle aged people who like whales but don't really engage in anything.

Most people I know support Sea Shepherd.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I generally view Sea Shepherd as pretty much pirates. Big fan of whales but those SS blokes are wankers.

Flem274*

123/5
My friend circle generally has a lot of urban environmentalist leftie scum types and they all hate Greenpeace. The only people who seem to still hold them in good esteem in urban areas that I know of are affluent middle aged people who like whales but don't really engage in anything.

Most people I know support Sea Shepherd.
yeah my hippie friends tend to be split between the two you mention, with the most ideologically pure of the already ideologically pure supporting SS

the most i will say for greenpeace is they agree human caused climate change and species endangerment are a thing (and right now in our world swinging towards the populist right that in itself makes them allies) but they are opposed to so many potential methods for adapting to our new world.

it's frustrating because their campus base wants to help, they're just terrible at it

Spark

Global Moderator
"human caused climate change and species endagerment" is like... the lowest of low bars to clear though

Spark

Global Moderator
idk i feel they don't get a pass on that while they fail to clear similarly low bars such as "genetic modification of food is safe", "closing nuclear power plants ==> increased co2 emissions" and "biotech/nanotech is more or less completely safe"

Flem274*

123/5
idk i feel they don't get a pass on that while they fail to clear similarly low bars such as "genetic modification of food is safe", "closing nuclear power plants ==> increased co2 emissions" and "biotech/nanotech is more or less completely safe"
the majority of my country fails to clear that bar, and a fair few other countries do too

i'm not going to defend greenpeace anymore than that one line above. i despise them and their sneaky acceptance in the mainstream.

harsh.ag

Don't know about this tbh

Ausage

No idea where this goes. Could be the US or even Auspol thread but this one will do:

Antifa: The hard left's call to arms - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Sympathetic puff piece from our national broadcaster on an armed wing of an extreme political group. Not sure how many times I have to say it. If people still can't see how the mainstream softballs violence from the left I don't know what will change their mind.

Some titbits:

When the left uses violence, in the rare cases that it happens, it's resistance," Mr Dixon says.
"I'm trying to get them to point their guns in the right direction."
"I think for us having access to weapons and having the skill and competency with them … allows us to at least consider that among a diversity of possible tactics," Mr Dixon says.

Spark

Global Moderator
No idea where this goes. Could be the US or even Auspol thread but this one will do:

Antifa: The hard left's call to arms - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Sympathetic puff piece from our national broadcaster on an armed wing of an extreme political group. Not sure how many times I have to say it. If people still can't see how the mainstream softballs violence from the left I don't know what will change their mind.

Some titbits:
This seems pretty similar to pieces I've seen on a lot of white survivalist groups.

I feel these people fundamentally either don't get or dislike the fact they live in a democracy where other people's opinions matter, as opposed to raw will-to-power.

Ausage

This seems pretty similar to pieces I've seen on a lot of white survivalist groups.

I feel these people fundamentally either don't get or dislike the fact they live in a democracy where other people's opinions matter, as opposed to raw will-to-power.
I've seen the ABC do a few pieces on the alt-right, but they a) mostly highlighted ideas and talking points of the group (not violence) and b) were consistently negative in tone and verbiage. No issue with that, but this article is pretty different.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've seen the ABC do a few pieces on the alt-right, but they a) mostly highlighted ideas and talking points of the group (not violence) and b) were consistently negative in tone and verbiage. No issue with that, but this article is pretty different.
This is Foreign Correspondent though. They've done pieces like this on lots of groups.

Did you see that absolute softball piece 7 News Melb ran on actual neo-Nazis yesterday? Grim as hell.

Last edited:

Ausage

This is Foreign Correspondent though. They've done pieces like this on lots of groups.

Did you see that absolute softball piece 7 News Melb ran on actual neo-Nazis yesterday? Grim as hell.
Yeah I heard about it, but didn't see it. Wasn't it just Blair Cottrell being asked his opinion on the African gangs issue? Not quite the same imo, but also dire tbf.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I heard about it, but didn't see it. Wasn't it just Blair Cottrell being asked his opinion on the African gangs issue? Not quite the same imo, but also dire tbf.
More than that, it was this whole puff piece on how he was a "community activist" just trying to set up this "neighborhood watch" thing to tackle crime. A dubious scheme given Cottrell's criminal record.

But yeah it isn't quite the same.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Aren't the media generally quite soft in these sorts of pieces?

I usually just think they're trying to not burn any bridges with the fairly obvious crazy bastards. Slamming all the kooks you interview is a good way of ensuring you don't get any interviews. It's a pretty fine line between not openly criticising something you should be criticising and actually painting it as a positive thing though.